neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dexter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
aren't the books drastically different though? I remember hearing Dexter's dark passanger in the books is quite literally demonic possession, and Laguerta should have been killed in season 1. I have the first book. I'll get around to reading it eventually.

Don't waste your time. First book is really good, the second book is pretty ok but once I hit 3 I just couldn't really stomach it.

Also, no clue...just thought "man that'd really be fucked. They should actually try it to see how people will react."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i haven't watched since season 3.
maybe i'll give it another shot, but they never really did much with it. dexter was a smart dude who happened to have 'unnatural' urges to kill people. so he does this in the most just way the he can see. meanwhile everyone around him is a retard so he never gets caught. repeat dexter being smart and everyone else being dumb for X seasons. profit.

idk. i feel like they had missed a major opportunity with it.
they could have even played the angle of dexter's tendencies arising from his adopted father's interpretations of dexter's blood father. dexter kills because his addopted father unknowingly implants subconscious triggers for said behavior. either that or elaborating on why his father had such assumptions in the first place. was dexter's biological father cursed? was there something harry knew? or did he just have a good heart and a really shit-ass understanding of biology?

all of the major jumping points they had which i had seen they sort of wrote off; forgot about. the show got so predictable and i was tired of nothing interesting happening. so i stopped caring. i know greta dies; i missed that. it probably would have kept me watching longer had they done it earlier. she was by far the most annoying character. ruining everything and forcing 20 minutes of filler into each episode.

idk. season six just ended. i saw bits and pieces of the season where he worked with the DA. i'd like to know if they've actually done anything interesting yet plotwise. to me it seemed the only real points of interest occurred if you were invested in the characters. kinda like a soap opera but less hokey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

ok, ignoring the entire thread up until here... I just started S6 E4, and I can't help but do this. Big spoiler, btw.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkllYQgNmp9Y&start1=326&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoqHjE_nWj8s&start2=0&authorName=Skruller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

LocrianDm wrote:

That... is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:34 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

S1eepy wrote:
i haven't watched since season 3.
maybe i'll give it another shot, but they never really did much with it. dexter was a smart dude who happened to have 'unnatural' urges to kill people. so he does this in the most just way the he can see. meanwhile everyone around him is a retard so he never gets caught. repeat dexter being smart and everyone else being dumb for X seasons. profit.

idk. i feel like they had missed a major opportunity with it.
they could have even played the angle of dexter's tendencies arising from his adopted father's interpretations of dexter's blood father. dexter kills because his addopted father unknowingly implants subconscious triggers for said behavior. either that or elaborating on why his father had such assumptions in the first place. was dexter's biological father cursed? was there something harry knew? or did he just have a good heart and a really shit-ass understanding of biology?

all of the major jumping points they had which i had seen they sort of wrote off; forgot about. the show got so predictable and i was tired of nothing interesting happening. so i stopped caring. i know greta dies; i missed that. it probably would have kept me watching longer had they done it earlier. she was by far the most annoying character. ruining everything and forcing 20 minutes of filler into each episode.

idk. season six just ended. i saw bits and pieces of the season where he worked with the DA. i'd like to know if they've actually done anything interesting yet plotwise. to me it seemed the only real points of interest occurred if you were invested in the characters. kinda like a soap opera but less hokey.

A good chunk of what you were talking about happens later. They explain more backstory, and yeah, Harry is kinda responsible for Dexter's choices.

But on a side note, I just marathon-ed to the end of Season Six.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Last 15 seconds of the episode
Holy balls, I've wanted that to happen for 4 seasons now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Well, fuck me sideways. I've been calling something along those lines since like day one.

Just finished season 6, in case that isn't clear. Umm...yeah, something fucking crazy is going to happen in season 7. I'm rather psyched about that.

Seriously, ever since my brother told me after we watched the first episode that the actress who plays Deb is actually married to the actor that plays Dexter in real life, I just had a feeling that somewhere, somehow they were gonna fuck. Maybe not in the show, but, in a fan fic or something

While that has yet to happen, it's kind of out on the table now. And I've been calling for about 3 or 4 seasons that Deb is going to find out what he's up to.

The big thing that I'm curious about, too, is if the intern is actually a serial killer wanna be or something. They kind of set that up.

Also, again, fuck LeGuerta. I was just starting to like her again last season or so, and then she just pulls all kinds of shit this season and makes me think she's just a terrible person again.

Oh, and, Sleepy, you should definitely give the first 2 seasons a thorough run through before you totally judge the show. And if you want to see a magnificent performance by John Lithgow, Season 4 is where it's at.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
Oh, and, Sleepy, you should definitely give the first 2 seasons a thorough run through before you totally judge the show. And if you want to see a magnificent performance by John Lithgow, Season 4 is where it's at.

i marathoned those seasons and became increasingly more and more frustrated with the predictability of the show. there was never any tension or surprises in it for me. even when he killed the bitch at the end of season two. i saw that shit coming about 5 minutes after they introduced the character.

the concept of dexter as a character is really cool, but when the writers play it out i feel like they are constantly dropping the ball. a suspense series should not be the most consistently predictable show i've ever watched(two seasons of).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:10 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

i marathoned those seasons and became increasingly more and more frustrated with the predictability of the show. there was never any tension or surprises in it for me. even when he killed the bitch at the end of season two. i saw that shit coming about 5 minutes after they introduced the character.

the concept of dexter as a character is really cool, but when the writers play it out i feel like they are constantly dropping the ball. a suspense series should not be the most consistently predictable show i've ever watched(two seasons of).

I think season 7 is going to have a pretty big chance of pace, judging by the season finale of 6.

I dunno, though.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I think season 7 is going to have a pretty big chance of pace, judging by the season finale of 6.

I dunno, though.

idk. when i compare it to something like breaking bad i can't help but feel they aren't trying all that hard.
i'll pick up on season 7 when it starts releasing. i think i might enjoy it a little more if i'm suddenly completely lostthegame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sleepy, I suggest you skip Season 3 (not terrible, but easily the weakest of them all), and watch season 4, skip 5, and watch six, 4 was my favorite season. 5 was an annoying monster of the week pattern that kinda ended the way it started, no character progression whatsoever and Dexter's brief love interest was annoying as fuck. 6 started slowly but picked up before it became a snorefest, and on top of that had a few crazy moments that kinda came out of left field. They also introduced some unresolved plot points that will lead into season 7 that I think you'll need a little bit of background info to fully enjoy. Seasons 3 and 5 aren't really referenced too much, but 4 does have a few ties that hold deep into the series, plus as Nameless says, John Lithgow really blew everything out the water. I can't look at him without seeing a deranged mother fucker anymore hahaha.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Blackman! wrote:
Sleepy, I suggest you skip Season 3 (not terrible, but easily the weakest of them all), and watch season 4, skip 5, and watch six, 4 was my favorite season. 5 was an annoying monster of the week pattern that kinda ended the way it started, no character progression whatsoever and Dexter's brief love interest was annoying as fuck. 6 started slowly but picked up before it became a snorefest, and on top of that had a few crazy moments that kinda came out of left field. They also introduced some unresolved plot points that will lead into season 7 that I think you'll need a little bit of background info to fully enjoy. Seasons 3 and 5 aren't really referenced too much, but 4 does have a few ties that hold deep into the series, plus as Nameless says, John Lithgow really blew everything out the water. I can't look at him without seeing a deranged mother fucker anymore hahaha.

I disagree with Lumen, at least in the later episodes of season 5. She was annoying at the start, but I really feel like having someone close to him who knew who he really was played a big part in coping with Rita's death. That season, especially the first episode at the funeral, was one of the biggest moments in the show for conveying the fact that Dexter isn't completely emotionless and that he actually did love Rita. Lumen was a huge part of the character's emotional development, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I liked Lumen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:14 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

When it comes to Dexter showing emotions, you get a lot of that in season six, especially for Brother Sam. Yeah Season five showed him having a couple of outbursts, but him wanting to kill Lumen's attackers wasn't really helping him cope with Rita's death Dexter would've done it because he's the God Damn Dark Defender. they tried to make some sort of emotional bond between the two show up, but if you ask me they didn't do a very good job of it. If Dexter did have any emotions for her they would've brought her up during season six... They always have throw backs to important plot details from the previous seasons "I am the bay harbor butcher" is a huge thing from season two, they brought back the ice truck killer/Biney from season one, and they even had the trinity killer play a part in this season. Notably absent are any references whatsoever to characters and events from Seasons 3 and 5. Which is why I think it's fine to skip those.

Look back at the series in general, you know if you skipped season 1 you'd be lost on a lot of references made further in the series, 2 while bay harbor butcher, and dark passenger isn't much it's repeated enough to warrant watching (especially because Doakes bites the big one, people will wonder about that). Three it seems we're in agreement that you can skip that as nothing happened to really change the story drastically. Four, all hell broke loose.

Season Five... I had a few gripes with it. One I didn't like that it was a group of people that Dexter was targeting, I always loved the cat and mouse thing he had going with him vs the one serial killer. Two I know Dexter up until this point had no emotions, but even though he started tearing the walls down I still didn't feel like it was genuine. Dexter didn't really care about Lumen, he just wanted the kill. Sure you can say it helped him cope with Rita's death but if Lumen was a guy that was in the same situation, Dexter would've killed them anyway because Dexter. Plus the group he targeted didn't really feel like much of a threat compared to the guys he's chased before. The suspense wasn't there, I just remember thinking "I wonder how this guy will die this week" instead of "holy shit, what the fuck is Dexter going to do now?" every episode (except the last which was basically a cocktease compared to this season). On top of that, they left a very huge case open that never got resolved. The Santa Muerte Killers, seriously it was a huge plot point, Deb (or was it that other hot cop that showed up for like four episodes) got into a shootout with one of the gang members in a club, but after that you never really hear about them (either that or I missed a blurb where he was killed or something). That really bothered me because they devoted a bit of screen time to that case, and it escalated to the point where it seemed like it had a part to play with the main plot, but then the writers kinda forgot about it... Again, if you cut out season five, I feel like you're not missing anything. Any emotions Dexter displayed in this season aren't really repeated unless his son, Brother Sam, and Deb are involved. I feel that there wasn't really any development plot or characterwise in season five. Season six definitely gets the ball rolling on at least two things that are going to be huge in the next season (hopefully the writers don't forget about mannequin hand in Dexter's apartment or something.) If you really think five is worth watching, let's seriously talk this out... It's been awhile since I've had deep Dexter discussions hahaha (see what I did there?)

Edit: I'll give it to you Tyler, The first episode did show he did care for Rita, but after that it's kind of forgotten until the kids show up for like two episodes

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

http://screenrant.com/dexter-season-7-s ... co-144333/ found this article while I was trying to find the release date of season 7.

I'm gonna have to read that big block of text that you just wrote. I'll edit this post to respond to it. But, right now, I'm balls deep in Breaking Bad, so, I need to get on with that. I'll get back to this, though, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Blackman! wrote:
2 while bay harbor butcher, and dark passenger isn't much it's repeated enough to warrant watching (especially because SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER

fixed FGJ :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
http://screenrant.com/dexter-season-7-spoilers-deb-aco-144333/ found this article while I was trying to find the release date of season 7.

I'm gonna have to read that big block of text that you just wrote. I'll edit this post to respond to it. But, right now, I'm balls deep in Breaking Bad, so, I need to get on with that. I'll get back to this, though, haha.

the end of season 3 was unbelievably epic. like him or hate him walter is a fucking bad ass.

@ Mr.Black:
that sounds like a good call. i think i'll take your advice on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:03 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I find that critiquing a show is like critiquing a band : For the most part, it's a matter of taste.

You can indeed say "too predictable," but I can say the same thing about most music. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge (if we're lucky), verse outro. Try singing "Bad Romance" to the beat of "Judas" : Same fucking song = Predictable, but I still very much enjoy the occasional Gaga. Insult her and me all you want, hater's gonna hate.

So in summation, I know who not to invite to the Dexter party if we ever have one. Cya at the Breaking Bad party!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Did I mention already that apparently seasons 7 and 8 are going to be the last ones for the show?

The article mentioned that. I think that's pretty significant, because the end of Season 6 is definitely a set up into a final plot point in the series. In more than one way.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

motherfucking.... this show, man.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Words...can't even...

Dis gonna be good, guys.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:

Words...can't even...

Dis gonna be good, guys.

I was gonna post these exact same things... get outta my head Charles!

It's pretty clear that Laguerta is gonna die... which sucks because to me she's fucking sexy as hell... gonna miss her haha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

[Reveal] Spoiler: book spoilers (I haven't read them, but I heard about this)
She died in the first book

Also, in terms of what's going to happen to her in the show, I sort of read a bit of what's going to go down:
[Reveal] Spoiler: spoiler that I've read in a couple of articles
She's going to try to clear Doakes' name by reopening the Bay Harbor Butcher case

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Yeah I read that about the first book. She's also super flirty with Dexter all the time time too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:12 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

And you notice they completely drop that after they stop following the books, too, right?

It's like "Well, we already changed enough of this. We can't have her flirting with him for the next 7 seasons. :coookieesssss: "

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

You're just building up hope that she won't end up in bags of trash in a river... You're one evil mother fucker haha. Everyone that's gotten close to exposing Dexter's serial killing persona ends up as a blood slide man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next