neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DVD/BluRay Deal thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Best Buy has the X-men franchise on sale this week ($4 for DVD $8 for BluRay) each one has a ticket to the new X-men film on it. I figure that'd be worth the purchase of at least 1 and/or 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
Best Buy has the X-men franchise on sale this week ($4 for DVD $8 for BluRay) each one has a ticket to the new X-men film on it. I figure that'd be worth the purchase of at least 1 and/or 2

as disappointing as 3 was, I didn't entirely hate it. At least not to the point that I'd hate owning it. Plus it'd bother me to only have 2 out of 3 parts of a trilogy. hence owning spiderman 3 and matrix revolutions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Yeah, I only needed 3 tickets so I just went for 1, 2, and Origins. I'm kinda ok with missing out on 3 for a little while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
Yeah, I only needed 3 tickets so I just went for 1, 2, and Origins. I'm kinda ok with missing out on 3 for a little while.

origins over 3? :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

As long as you walked out after the first twenty minutes, Origins was a decent movie. :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:11 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Snifit wrote:
As long as you walked out after the first twenty minutes, Origins was a decent movie. :coookieesssss:

Naw, Origins was fun popcorn fluff until around the third act. I had fun before he went to THE ISLAND

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:46 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I chose Origins because I have legit never seen it. I figured might as well get 2 new movies out of it.

If it sucks, OH WELL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:34 pm 
KSK Mastermind

TheBatman wrote:
Snifit wrote:

Naw, Origins was fun popcorn fluff until around the third act. I had fun before he went to THE ISLAND

he's kinda right... My main gripes were Gambit's lack of Cajun-ity, and Deadpool being utterly ruined all over the place.

But seeing Wolverine fuck people up was fun....

The key to these movies is trying REALLY hard that there are no such things as comics...

but as a comic fan... its hard to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm 

That's why I'm going to do with GL the same thing you did with FF. See it once as a movie goer and a second time as a fanboy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

the way I see it, FUCK IT...all the films were freebies for buying a ticket to see Xmen First class :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Crashman wrote:
TheBatman wrote:
Snifit wrote:

he's kinda right... My main gripes were Gambit's lack of Cajun-ity, and Deadpool being utterly ruined all over the place.

But seeing Wolverine fuck people up was fun....

The key to these movies is trying REALLY hard that there are no such things as comics...

but as a comic fan... its hard to do so.

I never really read comics. I love a lot of the characters, but never got into them because I always felt like there was too much that I needed to be clued in on since they all have DECADES of development and detail to them.

That being said, even with much less of a knowledge of the characters themselves, Origins still sucked :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:12 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Origins was terrible, and not just cuz they completely fucked up Deadpool. Here's my main beef with it: production quality.

The scene where Wolverine opens up his claws for the first time, the CGI in that scene looks like something a person could do on a laptop. Actually, I take that back, I SAW a movie that was done by a couple of dudes on a laptop, and it had better graphics than that scene. It just looked too shiny and fake. I would've preferred him to have Claymation Claws at that point. Or Roger Rabbit Style drawn-on claws or something.

And, shit, the way they de-aged Patrick Stewart at one point with CGI? That looked fucking terrible.

Point is, you have a big hollywood budget series, and people are going to expect it to look fuckin nice, right? Then you just throw some shitty graphics into a movie with a bad plot, give it the same name as the big budget, awesome series, and get people to come see it based on what they've seen in the series already and what they're expecting out of the series.

Origins was shit. Besides which, Wolverine gets too much credit as the main character of the series. X-men 2 was already his damn origin story, essentially, wasn't it? Show us another cool mutant like Gambit (who was really lacking in his appearances in Wolverine Origin, I felt), or Deadpool, or something. Hell, I'd take a Squirrel Girl movie.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:20 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Nameless88 wrote:
Hell, I'd take a Squirrel Girl movie.

:lol:
That would be hilarious.

Gambit was a bit lame in the movie but I think the worst part is no Stan Lee cameo...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Neon Jackal wrote:
I think the worst part is no Stan Lee cameo...

Woah, okay. I just realized that.

Which makes me think that this was done as a side project, without the big budget, and not a whole lot of backing from the higher ups.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:45 am 

A Squirrel Girl movie would be badass under one condition, they have to have the fight between her and Dr. Doom...where she wins.

But yeah Origins, for me, had two redeeming qualities. Reynolds as Deadpool and Blob. Other than that? Fuck that movie. I was excited to see Gambit but he was underutilized and not really well done. I don't recall Gambit being able to charge his staff, twirl it, and hover down from thirty feet. WTF? And there was NO reason for him to be in there. He had no relation to Wolverine save for a rivalry between the two once they were both actual X-Men. His origin and introduction only ties in with Storm. It was such a blatant move by the studio to say "Hey fanboys like this Gambo guy, we need to put him in the movie! And then have him fight Wolverine because they want to see him fight!" No. No we don't. We want to see a smooth talking cajun thief who fights people with a staff and blows up robots with cards. THAT'S what we want to see. You know what would've been better than Origins' version of Gambit? Remember that scene in X2 when they were killing mutants with the think-hard ray? There should've been a fast scene of a guy at a pool table in a trench coat shuffling cards and falling over in pain. That. That would've been better. A brief tease rather than a full on disappointment.

...wow, I didn't expect to get that worked up about it. Oh well.

tl;dr
Ryan Reynolds and Blob were good, Origins sucked, movie studios suck.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
The scene where Wolverine opens up his claws for the first time, the CGI in that scene looks like something a person could do on a laptop.

You mean the scene in the bathroom when he slices the sink in half? Yeah, I'm still convinced that was test footage that they never fully completed.

Also, I'm learning that it's not at all that difficult to do things like that without a huge budget. Check out Freddie Wong or Corridor Digital on youtube. If you know your way around editing and post production software at all, it's really not that difficult, yet a big budget film still managed to get it wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew
http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew2
http://www.youtube.com/user/CorridorDigital

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
The scene where Wolverine opens up his claws for the first time, the CGI in that scene looks like something a person could do on a laptop.

You mean the scene in the bathroom when he slices the sink in half? Yeah, I'm still convinced that was test footage that they never fully completed.

Also, I'm learning that it's not at all that difficult to do things like that without a huge budget. Check out Freddie Wong or Corridor Digital on youtube. If you know your way around editing and post production software at all, it's really not that difficult, yet a big budget film still managed to get it wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew
http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew2
http://www.youtube.com/user/CorridorDigital

Oh yeah, Freddie W is awesome. I see his stuff on Stumbleupon all the time. Which, if HE can do it, and Hollywood can't do it right, then there's something seriously wrong with how they allocated their budget for the film.

Maybe they had to pay the big name actors more to be a part of the crappiness. :cookieshmm:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://www.dealcatcher.com/images/print ... 371378.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

http://tinyurl.com/6k7mjjc

Amazon is having a huge Anime sale on DVD and Bluray til the 8th of August.

I'm thinking of picking up a few things:

1) Summer Wars
2) East of Eden

Would anyone recommend East of Eden? Because I'd be purchasing that one blind.