neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I can't even. :cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

That went to a place I never would've thought about.....fucking :cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Yeah. Holy fucking shit, that was a good episode.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

at the end of this episode there was one big thing answered and then i realized something disturbing/surprising

answer
Walt was never doing this for family. It was his own power trip. Wow.

realization
Saul Goodman is the only person to survive Walter White.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
at the end of this episode there was one big thing answered and then i realized something disturbing/surprising

answer

realization

to your answer: what makes you say that?
He's still trying to find ways to get money to his family. Flynn flipped out over the phone with him when he tried to tell him he was sending money to him. I think it became a power to him, and he went FAR beyond the $747,000 he originally said he needed, but I think it's still about his family. Everything he did at the end of "Ozymandias" was done to present Skylar as a victim, and give enough reasonable doubt in court that she may get off, and he's still trying to provide for them but can't do it.

and your realization:
His whole family, Marie, and at least for the time being, Jessie are still alive. It also remains to be seen what happens to Todd, his uncle and their crew. Also Brock, Huell, and Bill Burr (I forget his character's name...), Badger and Skinny Pete...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Bogey wrote:

answer

realization

He's still trying to find ways to get money to his family. Flynn flipped out over the phone with him when he tried to tell him he was sending money to him. I think it became a power to him, and he went FAR beyond the $747,000 he originally said he needed, but I think it's still about his family. Everything he did at the end of "Ozymandias" was done to present Skylar as a victim, and give enough reasonable doubt in court that she may get off, and he's still trying to provide for them but can't do it.

and your realization:
His whole family, Marie, and at least for the time being, Jessie are still alive. It also remains to be seen what happens to Todd, his uncle and their crew. Also Brock, Huell, and Bill Burr (I forget his character's name...), Badger and Skinny Pete...

Why I say that
When Flynn flipped out, he gave up. He called the DEA and just waited. He was literally DONE. Seeing the Schwartz and Greymatter on television and hearing them say "Walt was nothing. He just gave a name." and "he was just so sweet and nice and kind and harmless (Walt's set off words)" brought him back to thinking there was stuff to be done. Why? Because it isn't about his family. It's about Walt being SOMEBODY. Walt being REMEMBERED. Walt being a God.

and for my realization
When I say Saul is the only one to survive Walter White...I mean he is the only one that got out with, basically, no harm. He left with the money he was laundering. All he left was his law practice, which Saul doesn't seem too broken up about losing. Maria lost her husband. Skylar lost everything. Flynn lost his innocence. Walter White ruined everyone's life. Saul is probably the only one who is making out better in the end. He survived. Who else, who had long-term direct contact with Walt, can actually say that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Bogey wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
Bogey wrote:

answer

realization

and your realization:

Why I say that
When Flynn flipped out, he gave up. He called the DEA and just waited. He was literally DONE. Seeing the Schwartz and Greymatter on television and hearing them say "Walt was nothing. He just gave a name." and "he was just so sweet and nice and kind and harmless (Walt's set off words)" brought him back to thinking there was stuff to be done. Why? Because it isn't about his family. It's about Walt being SOMEBODY. Walt being REMEMBERED. Walt being a God.

and for my realization
When I say Saul is the only one to survive Walter White...I mean he is the only one that got out with, basically, no harm. He left with the money he was laundering. All he left was his law practice, which Saul doesn't seem too broken up about losing. Maria lost her husband. Skylar lost everything. Flynn lost his innocence. Walter White ruined everyone's life. Saul is probably the only one who is making out better in the end. He survived. Who else, who had long-term direct contact with Walt, can actually say that?

I think you're part right with that, but he also realized that the Blue Meth was still out there, and that Jesse was still around because they couldn't make it without him or Walt there. I think that was his main reason to do what he's doing now.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I think whatever he does next he planned when he kidnapped Holly and spoke to Skylar over the phone. He said he still had things to do. I don't think he just came up with a plan when he heard his former partner talking about him, but rather he was biding his time. Waiting for the right moment to carry out whatever it is he plans on doing. Now, that may have triggered his plan into action, but I'm not sure it's all just so he can be somebody. Though given the fact that he made the call to the police and sat back down at the bar may support your point...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

AMC is doing a marathon until the finale. I'm watching it because I'm off and just free right now. We're in that Season 3 end where Gus Fring is a bad man.

That sitdown dinner with Walt and Gus where Gus tries to talk about the smell of his childhood and Walt gives him the biological answer. The look on Gus' face....damn Gus was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:52 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Fucking incredible. I honestly believe Breaking Bad was about as close as you can get to a perfect series. It didn't drag on and get old like most shows, stayed interesting throughout, and went out on an all time high. This show was pure brilliance, and I'm glad to have been a part of it's pretty massive viewership.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Wow.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
They actually gave it something pretty close to a happy ending.

I wasn't expecting that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I was seriously not expecting the scene with Gretchen and Elliot to happen. That threw me off pretty well. I predicted a couple of other things that were going to happen, but they were still very satisfying.

I'm overall very happy with the way this show ended. It ended on a very good note.

I think Jesse gets away clean, too, since Walt died in the meth lab, they'll assume that he was part of the operation there the whole time. The only people who knew about Jesse were Hank and Gomie, sorta Marie (but she never knew he was a cook, too), the Nazis, Lydia, and Walt. They might get some of his prints on the cuffs or something, but I think he's free, and he'll be able to skip town pretty okay.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:52 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I'm just glad Badger and Skinny Pete got a part in the end there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So it's a phenomenal show with an ending that delivered. Does that really put it in the "greatest" talk? Because I think so.

Also, the most gratifying portion of the entire episode

Jesse killing that piece of shit Todd.

Regardless, Walt is still the biggest piece of shit ever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:19 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Double post:

here is a shirt available on Shirtpunch today only (you have to click the pop culture tab and turn it to TV)

And teefury.com has this today

EDIT: weird, the black shirt color behind the teefury shirt isn't showing up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Bogey wrote:
So it's a phenomenal show with an ending that delivered. Does that really put it in the "greatest" talk? Because I think so.

Also, the most gratifying portion of the entire episode

Jesse killing that piece of shit Todd.

Regardless, Walt is still the biggest piece of shit ever.

Well, Walt is a bastard, yeah, but...think about it.

The beginning of the show, we have a guy who has never truly lived. I mean, he's just kind of gone along with everything in life up until that point, and then he's diagnosed with cancer. He missed out on his big opportunity to be on the ground floor of a massive company, and he's going to die without really accomplishing anything in his entire life. Remember the scene with the Talking Pillow? He never really felt like he had control of anything, or any say in any decision made in his life.

Did he make a lot of terrible decisions? Yeah. Is this maybe proof that he shouldn't have been n control of his life choices because he'll clearly just make bad ones? Arguably yes.

But, he was alive. I mean, for the first time in a long time, he did something that made him feel like he was truly alive.

I dunno. I've hated him during the show several times...but, I'm glad how everything ended for him. I think the ending was perfect for this show. And they even made me cheer him on in the end, even if he maybe didn't even deserve our support anymore, he was still *our* bastard, ya know?

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:26 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Oh, I understand. It's just a weird thing. Walter died next to his favorite child: his meth. He died next to the thing that has destroyed everything, including himself. It was his one true love in life. He did something he'd wanted to his entire life: become somebody. Heisenberg will never be forgotten in that world.

What's weird is he did one single thing that was actually for his family: he died. It was still a selfish death. He did it for himself just as much.

Seriously, hell of an ending.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
Oh, I understand. It's just a weird thing. Walter died next to his favorite child: his meth. He died next to the thing that has destroyed everything, including himself. It was his one true love in life. He did something he'd wanted to his entire life: become somebody. Heisenberg will never be forgotten in that world.

What's weird is he did one single thing that was actually for his family: he died. It was still a selfish death. He did it for himself just as much.

Seriously, hell of an ending.

I'm just going to ramble a bit... I still believe what he did was initially for his family. And I don't think he ever really lost sight of that. Yes, the power and fame of running an empire became more important to him, but I don't think getting money to his family ever escaped his mind. At least not in the times he was actually sick. When the cancer was in remission? By all means, yes, it was all entirely selfish. There was every reason to believe that ensuring his family's future was no longer a concern, but he kept going anyway. It became clear it was no longer about his family as soon as he surpassed $747,000. But the fact that he still tried to get money to his family (twice in the last two episodes) shows that, I think to at least some very small degree, yes it was for his family. 99% for him, 1% for his family. Or 100% for him, and making sure his family somehow got the money was just so he could feel justified in his own actions. :coookieesssss: Or it was a self realization and redemption kind of thing. I like to think it was the latter. It started as being about his family. He lost sight of that and it spun out of control. In the end, maybe during the phone call with Skyler in "Ozymandias" or Flynn in "Granite State," he snapped back out of it and realized what he had to do. Though that rationale could just as easily be viewed as what he thought he had to do to feel justified... Or maybe it was hearing Gretchen say that Heisenberg may still be out there, but Walter White is dead that reminded him why he started in the first place....

tl;dr- I don't think it's as simple as "it was always 100% about him." I think there are plenty of ways to look at it where at least at times he was doing the wrong things for the right reasons. I'd say from early-mid season 2 through majority of season 5, yes it was all about him. But where the series mostly followed "Heisenberg," I feel it was bookended with the real Walter White.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7