neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Netflix is hardening it's penis for full rapeage. Starting in September, DVDs-in-the-mail costs you $7.99. Streaming will also cost you $7.99 Either choose one, or pay double what you were paying a year ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

This deserves a new topic, just so people will see it better.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235556/n ... rcent.html

Basically, the company viewed DVD rental as a $2 add-on to their streaming services. After seeing DVD rentals were still popular, they essentially decided "fuck it, lets charge the same price for both." So $7.99 per month for either one or the other now, or $15.98 per month for both (starting in September, or right now for new members.) This is effectively doubling the cost of the plan I have now, and I'm not too happy about that, as I enjoy using both instant streaming and their dvd services.

I personally will probably drop instant watch and stick with dvds. I'd rather lose the touch-of-a-button convenience and keep the muuuuuch broader library of available titles. Netflix's streaming, although very convenient, has always had a mediocre-at-best selection anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:33 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Hey, a new topic. I forgot I could do that. Seriously, I'm right on the verge of dropping Netflix anyway, since their streaming service is like the $5 bin at Wal-Mart meets the Sci-Fi Channel originals library with a few interesting documentaries thrown in. Their service is certainly not worth $16 a month, and it's a really shitty move on the part of the company.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:40 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Hey, a new topic. I forgot I could do that. Seriously, I'm right on the verge of dropping Netflix anyway, since their streaming service is like the $5 bin at Wal-Mart meets the Sci-Fi Channel originals library with a few interesting documentaries thrown in. Their service is certainly not worth $16 a month, and it's a really shitty move on the part of the company.

Entirely agreed. Sometimes there's a few good movies on instant watch, as well as a few good tv series'. But they're cycled out quickly, or its something that everyone has seen so much that no one wants to watch it again. Certainly not worth it's own $8 price tag. I may even drop back to the limited plan for dvd-by-mail, because I even think $8 for unlimited one disc at a time rentals is even too steep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'll keep instant. I don't have DVD rentals now anyway. Anything I want to watch is on instant, I'll buy on DVD/BluRay or I'll just torrent.

No big deal.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:00 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

That fucking sucks. I better get all the stuff I want off DVD by September, then.

Also, I already pay like 10.29 a month, so maybe the extra 5 bucks wouldn't hurt that bad for me. Unless it'd be 10.29x2 per month, then I'd say fuck it, and quit them, maybe do Blockbuster Online or Hulu or something.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 pm 
KSK Mastermind

eh, it does not bother me really. Im generally happy with the streaming choices. I typically Dont watch a lot of TV, so when I do, I know netflix has stuff I want (which is why we dont have cable).

The DVD thing was cool at first, but now we end up getting a DVD and it sits around for months. Then finally we say "hey lets watch that".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

If the DVD in the mail wasn't so expensive, I'd opt to do it, yeah, but, I basically do the same thing. Maybe I should just watch what I want to watch on DVD, and if anyone else wants to see it, they can just order it again later. I was keeping Peewee's Playhouse around incase anyone else wanted to watch, but it's been like a month, sooo, uhhh...fuck em. :coookieesssss:

I really wanna check out Legend, anyway. I need to see Tim Curry be the devil.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Crashman wrote:
eh, it does not bother me really. Im generally happy with the streaming choices. I typically Dont watch a lot of TV, so when I do, I know netflix has stuff I want (which is why we dont have cable).

The DVD thing was cool at first, but now we end up getting a DVD and it sits around for months. Then finally we say "hey lets watch that".

I had that problem, but I think a lot of it is because of the convenience of instant watch. It's almost like I have the mindset of "ok, I can get Social Network 2 or 3 days from now, or turn my xbox on and watch Louis C. K.'s stand up special for the 8th time right now." And then I end up never returning the dvds. If I get rid of the distraction of watching the same things over and over again instantly, then I'd probably use the dvd service more often.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Like, We often watch movies together, but our work schedules are so different. So In a world without streaming, we'd have 1 dvd sitting at our house for a week, waiting for a time where we are both free.

OR

We have streaming, that way when she's not home i can watch all the wacky Dr Who and anime i want, and she can watch Horders or other weird crazy stuff, Then when we are together we can pick out a movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

I just mooch streaming off my mom's account anyway so it's whatever

I don't use it much though, because

A) the anime is usually dub only

B) streaming quality is generally shitty/sub-par and I'd rather just download BD rips

C) half the time i feel like watching a movie it isn't even available to stream

It's still some bullshit though, how in the world can they expect people to pay the same price for both plans when one of them has half the selection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
It's still some bullshit though, how in the world can they expect people to pay the same price for both plans when one of them has half the selection

Half is being extremely generous.

I may see what friends are doing, and mooch instant off someone who keeps it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:44 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

eh sit tight. if they get too greedy hulu is going to take over the streaming department.

just remember; if you buy into something that you don't necessarily agree with: you're telling the company what they're doing is perfectly ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
TheBatman wrote:

Half is being extremely generous.

I may see what friends are doing, and mooch instant off someone who keeps it.

I'm doing this. I just cancelled my subscription and sent them a nice email explaining my problems with their price increase, while mentioning their 88% profit increase last fiscal year. Basically, I'm done til it goes back to $7.99 for all of it.

Also, I find it hysterical on the "Where are you going to watch movies now" They have an option that reads: "Pirate Bay or other torrent sites".

Who would choose that legit?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

They may also be getting strongarmed by the MPAA and passing the cost onto the customer. Sure it sucks but that's business

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Iirc a big part of it is also rights stuff from various movie companies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I read a while back that Comcast and NBC or one of the other major networks that work together have been doing things to screw over Netflix. I dunno, It sucks for a lot of people I guess. I look at it realistically. Currently I pay 9.99 for both services. One service i barely use. So 7.99 for just the one i use a lot, well I have no issue.

Ultimately we could all just download everything, but I for one am too lazy, and like turning my PS3 on, lying back on my couch and watching 3 hours of Dr. Who.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

note: this is very indirectly related to the netflix pricing 'adjustment'.

Blackman! wrote:
but that's business

and yet people still cling to it as the "correct" way of life.
:facepalm:
you either want to live in your dream of this is the way things should be,
or you wake up and see the poorly constructed machinery.

abiding greed is a catalyst for corruption and imposition of further 'control'.
how do you think that lobbyists become wealthy enough to become lobbyists?
why do you think that running for political office now requires such inordinate amounts of funding?
because as it stands the consumer is still willing to abide greedy and brazen corporations whose goal eventually becomes the dollar and nothing else. how do you think all of these companies get this big?

wake up and see the poorly constructed machine; revel in your own miserable creation.
not only did we all let this happen; we made it happen.
if we can't leave this mess behind and find a better way of doing things. . . we'll be buried in the rubble. and we'd have both let and made that happen too. . .

before i receive the typical knee jerk reaction that accompanies a "doin' it wrong" statement; i want you to actually think about how the consumer is responsible for aggressive turns in business models; aggressive turns in political strategy. the answers are both simple and very sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:50 pm 
KSK Mastermind

all is forgiven, Netflix is now on the 3DS! :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

It's also available on certain Droid phones! :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I really wouldn't get so pissed at Netflix increasing prices.

When they first introduced streaming, it was sort of a freebie thrown in to the DVD plan. They had almost no content, and they really had to work the studios to get anything thrown in there. Basically, the studios saw it as incredibly risky and were very hesitant to license anything to Netflix at all, and Netflix got some pretty sweet deals.

Come to today - there's now several for-pay streaming sites, like Amazon VOD and Hulu. And apparently, studios have gotten better deals with those sites than Netflix. So, it's contract renegotiation time, and online streaming services have been proved to be a successful business model.

Here's a pretty good example: Netflix paid about $180 million in licensing costs for 2010.

It's predicted to be almost two billion 2012 (source: http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technol ... /index.htm )

EDIT: My other point - is it still a good deal? I'm saying yes.

I mean, let's see my options here:
Go rent a movie at Blockbuster - PSH. $5 for a single rental, and I have to screw around with late fees, and I have to drive? Maybe if there was a Blockbuster on my route from home to work or something, but I gotta go out of my way to hit one up. It also seems like everytime I go, I'm just not interested in *any* movie they have there - I wind up renting one just so I leave with something. No thanks.

RedBox? If I want a movie released in the past couple of weeks, not a bad deal. Again, though, gotta go out of my way to hit one up.

Hulu Plus looks fairly attractive, but I feel like I have to wade through a ton of crap to get to the cool shows. I'm not particularly interested in watching the tons and tons of reality cooking challenge shows they seem to have on there.

Amazon Video on Demand - I think they price by movie - looks like individual movies are $3-$4 per rental, things like TV shows are downright insane. $2 per episode for a current TV show. That's nice, since it is current and all (Netflix doesn't have current shows), but blech. Fuck that.

The reality is, Netflix is still winning, by a lot. If anything, I'd say the best combo is probably streaming NetFlix + DVD Rental, and just use free Hulu for current TV shows (this setup is going to need a computer, I don't know of any blu-ray player that supports free hulu), and you're lookin' pretty good. You're talking $16/month. Heck, Hulu Plus is $8/month, so for $24/month, you get a ton of content, no ads, high def.

Compare that to cable, even the cheaper plans are like, what, $50/month, no fancy channels, tons of ads, and you've gotta program that stupid-ass dvr.

Not a bad deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

piracy is free and still generates profits. if that's not printing money idk what is. figure out a way to cash in on that and you'd make even more money than you would with a successful pay site.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

S1eepy wrote:
piracy is free and still generates profits. if that's not printing money idk what is. figure out a way to cash in on that and you'd make even more money than you would with a successful pay site.

:cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
S1eepy wrote:

:cookieshuh:

:cookieshuh: :cookieshuh: :cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

MAKE MONEY THROUGH PIRACY

TOTALLY MAKES SENSE

RIGHT