neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:29 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Did we seriously not have a thread for this already?

Who watched the season 2 premiere? What did everyone think? I thought it was a great episode but I now fear what the show will become once the episodes after Frank Darabont's departure start showing up. I'm really hoping this show doesn't suffer as a result of that because as of right now it is easily in my top 3 tv dramas right now. Breaking Bad is first, then Walking Dead and Dexter are about tied.

Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:52 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

It was soooooooo good, it was painful waiting for it to download all day.
The end of the episode was very unexpected...

Side note: I was watching it with my Mum and brother, that part in the woods, where they cut open the dead zombie :D was especially hilarious considering how squeemish my Mum is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:09 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I hate that I have to wait until next week for another episode. When a show does that to you, you know they're doing something right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Interestingly enough, I didn't get into The Walking Dead last season. I remember watching and enjoying the first episode, but I didn't commit to show on a weekly basis. Since they recently added the show to Netflix, and because my friends told me how awesome it was, I decided to give it another go. I flew through all six episodes in just two or three days and I was eagerly awaiting the Season 2 premiere.

I really enjoyed it. Keep in mind I don't know anything about the comic book series, so I can't really comment on how the two are different. The show seems to be coming into its own in terms of story. You can already tell the second season is going to have a lot more direction than the first.

They only thing that bugged me was when Lori was crying about Shane being a dick to her and Carl. Didn't he just try to rape you like YESTERDAY!? Did she forget? I feel like she should be all for him leaving.

Also, the ending with Carl being shot was one of the most unexpected events I've ever witnessed in television history. I've heard from various media outlets online that Carl gets shot and killed in the comic book series, but the events surrounding it were drastically different. Based on the "next-time-on-The-Walking-Dead" footage after the show it looked like Carl doesn't die immediately, as Rick seemed to be trying to find some help for him. I think it'll be interesting to see how this develops as the series progresses. If Carl does survive this gunshot is he going to die some other way later on? Are they even going to follow the comic story line? I have no idea.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:
They only thing that bugged me was when Lori was crying about Shane being a dick to her and Carl. Didn't he just try to rape you like YESTERDAY!? Did she forget? I feel like she should be all for him leaving.

I think she's putting everyone else ahead of herself. It's kind of a running theme in the show, putting the needs of many before the needs of few. Sure Rick is pretty much the group's leader, but I feel like Shane is viewed as important too. She doesn't want to be the reason that a valuable person to have around decides to up and leave, basically fucking everyone else over. Plus she was much more mad that he was being a dick to Carl than being a dick to her. He was actually trying to be nicer to her and apologize for what happened and she (rightfully) blew him off.

Bubble Man wrote:
Also, the ending with Carl being shot was one of the most unexpected events I've ever witnessed in television history. I've heard from various media outlets online that Carl gets shot and killed in the comic book series, but the events surrounding it were drastically different. Based on the "next-time-on-The-Walking-Dead" footage after the show it looked like Carl doesn't die immediately, as Rick seemed to be trying to find some help for him. I think it'll be interesting to see how this develops as the series progresses. If Carl does survive this gunshot is he going to die some other way later on? Are they even going to follow the comic story line? I have no idea.

I haven't read the comics yet (just "purchased" them, actually) but from what I've heard the show only follows the comic for the first episode or two. From there on it splits off so I don't think using the comic as a means of predicting what may happen is going to be effective. Then again, they may borrow elements and plot lines here and there, so who knows? Again, I haven't read them yet so this is all speculation and hearsay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:34 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I'm 66 issues into the comics, and it's kind of fun now to see what the show keeps and what it changes. It keeps enough that you can see where some of the parallels lie glen saving rick, going back to the city to get guns, using zombie guts as camouflage in season 1; Carl getting shot and taken to the farm as a way to introduce Hershel and his family

It's also changing enough that the first few issues of the comic had a few surprises Carl shooting Shane in the neck and killing him in order to protect Rick when Shane draws a gun on him, no CDC in the comics and more recently Shane and Otis going to the high school for medical supplies. I guess they do it 1) to keep it a little separate from the comics and 2) the difference in the two mediums kind of calls for it. Stretching out things such as the journey away from Atlanta and Carl's gunshot wound help build the stronger sense of suspense throughout that a TV show needs, where the comics will heat up and then end on a huge cliffhanger, piling all the suspense into the second half of a monthly issue.

I wonder if the show will ever have Carl kill Shane, or have the survivors find the prison and introduce The Governor. If so, I vote Danny Trejo to play him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:47 pm 
Fucking Sandals!

illblamesum1else wrote:
I wonder if the show will ever have Carl kill Shane, or have the survivors find the prison and introduce The Governor. If so, I vote Danny Trejo to play him.

Oh man, I fucking hope so. I just want to see Trejo in everything all the time. He's too awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Veginator wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

Oh man, I fucking hope so. I just want to see Trejo in everything all the time. He's too awesome.

Have you read the comics? He's perfect. Looks just like him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

That was fucked up Shane.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I love this show...and breaking bad....hell on wheels looks awesome...AMC makes great shows...I love this show...I love this show

Seriously....fucking awesome ending

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:

I'm pissed at him and not at the same time. Totally fucked up, but what other choice did he have? I don't think they both would have made it, and being in better shape he had a better chance than Otis. As fucked up as it was, it's one of those things where you can debate "what would you do if..." to no end. Sacrifice yourself to let the out of shape guy try to make it, or kill him and make it yourself, all while a child's life hangs in the balance of your decision? It's clearly tormenting him that he did it, but putting myself in his situation, I don't think I would have done it differently. Maybe shot him in the head instead of the leg so he wasn't eaten alive. But it was a sacrifice that had to be made, and the odds of saving Carl were greater if Otis died than if Shane died. There was no way they'd both make it and still save Carl.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Bubble Man wrote:

I'm pissed at him and not at the same time. Totally fucked up, but what other choice did he have? I don't think they both would have made it, and being in better shape he had a better chance than Otis. As fucked up as it was, it's one of those things where you can debate "what would you do if..." to no end. Sacrifice yourself to let the out of shape guy try to make it, or kill him and make it yourself, all while a child's life hangs in the balance of your decision? It's clearly tormenting him that he did it, but putting myself in his situation, I don't think I would have done it differently. Maybe shot him in the head instead of the leg so he wasn't eaten alive. But it was a sacrifice that had to be made, and the odds of saving Carl were greater if Otis died than if Shane died. There was no way they'd both make it and still save Carl.

Very true. It's a fucked up world. There are no "correct" decisions anymore.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:45 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

this past episode brought up a lot of things that play a huge part in the comics. Seems like this season will be sticking closer to the source than last season, which if they follow close enough, get ready to have your heart ripped out of your chest and stomped on multiple times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
this past episode brought up a lot of things that play a huge part in the comics. Seems like this season will be sticking closer to the source than last season, which if they follow close enough, get ready to have your heart ripped out of your chest and stomped on multiple times.

I'm avoiding all information about the comics.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:38 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bubble Man wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

why

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
Bubble Man wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

why

he'd rather finish watching it before he reads it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

S1eepy wrote:
TheBatman wrote:
Bubble Man wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

why

he'd rather finish watching it before he reads it.

In a way, the comics can sort of act as spoilers to the show. Like this past episode hit on 3 or 4 major points in the comic. But the show has changed enough things that reading the comics hasn't ruined the show for me. Like Otis' death was handled completely different, and much later in the comics. and in the comics, Shane never sets foot on the farm because he's already dead at that point. because Carl shot him in the neck and killed him in like, issue #9. If they followed the comics close enough, Shane would have died in season 1. Also, and I won't spoiler this, anything dealing with Darryl, Merle, or T-Dog can't be spoiled byt the comics because they don't even exist. Also, Sophia never even goes missing so if you read the comics, you'd still have no idea what was going on there.

In other news, Andrea is a whiny bitch in the show and I hope she dies. She's pretty fucking badass in the comics. Still a bitch though. But more tolerable and honestly one of my favorite characters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

illblamesum1else wrote:
In other news, Andrea is a whiny bitch in the show and I hope she dies.

And she continues to be an annoying bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:07 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

one thing I can say at this point:

That was the best soul-saving I have seen in 2 sentences. "You've done more for my Sophia than her father did his entire life." Soul saved....Rick's life also probably saved.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I fucking love Darryl. I don't know if it's the Boondock Saints fanboy in me. Or if I just find him interesting because he's a character that didn't exist until the show so he's one character that as a fan of the comics, I have no expectations for whatsoever.

Speaking of character expectations, if this follows the comics close enough (HERE BE POTENTIAL BIG SPOILERS) someone will die when the try to take care of the zombies in the barn. In the comics, there were 2 or 3 casualties IIRC, but were characters not in the show. Also, (and this will be a HUGE spoiler if it indeed follows the comics Shane and Rick will get in another argument. Shane will pull a gun on Rick, and Carl shoots Shane to save his father's life. I don't think I can see this happening just yet because they haven't trained all the other characters including Carl in firearms use yet although it was mentioned this past week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Jesus...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Damn it! Download faster!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Well....looks like Kirkman and crew are definitely making the 2 completely different.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
Well....looks like Kirkman and crew are definitely making the 2 completely different.

yup. that really took me by surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I loved the ending. This episode restored my faith in this show after a rather boring time spent at the farm since the premiere.

My only complaint: They've been looking for Sophia for so long that I completely forgot what she looked like. Therefore I didn't "get" that it was her who came out of the barn last until everyone said "omg it's sophia."

What the gay?

Last edited by Bubble Man on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.