neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Really? I thought season 3 was hands down the best season they've had. I was a bit disappointed in the finale though. Really underwhelming and I expected a lot more from it. It was a good episode in its own rights, but it felt like any other episode. It was missing that season finale vibe... like a cliffhanger, or the death of a character that people actually cared about, or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:25 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Quote:
3-1 Seed - With the world growing increasingly more dangerous and Lori’s pregnancy advancing, Rick discovers a potentially safe haven. But first he must secure the premises, pushing his group to its limit.
Hershel loses his leg. Good episode

Quote:
3-2 Sick - After a traumatic event, a life hangs in the balance. Complicating matters, the group must also deal with a potential threat to their new surroundings.
Rick kills Tomas. Good episode.

Quote:
3-3 Walk with Me - After witnessing an accident, Andrea and Michonne are introduced to a new community of survivors. As conflicts arise with their new acquaintances, a decision must be made.
Enter the Governor. I still can't believe his crew can so easily kill all those soldiers. Also I hate Andrea's character (whiny, self-righteous, screws the wrong guys, disloyal to Michonne etc.). Decent episode.

Quote:
3-4 Killer Within - The group is severed and lives are put in jeopardy. In Woodbury, Merle has a request for the Governor.
RIP T-Dog. Emergency c-section? Yeah right. Carl finally earns his keep. Lori is finally eliminated. Good episode.

Quote:
3-5 Say the Word - After another loss, Rick struggles. Michonne remains suspicious of the Governor as he throws a party with a unique twist for the people of Woodbury.
Andrea heavy episode boooo. The Woodbury gladiator arena thing was kinda dumb. Crappy episode.

Quote:
3-6 Hounded - As Andrea grows closer to the Governor, Michonne makes a decision about Woodbury. Glenn and Maggie go on a run. Rick struggles.
Another Andrea heavy Woodbury episode while Rick is on the phone with ghosts. I really didn't like the whole Rick losing his shit angle. Michonne being hunted by Merle was cool. And Glen and Maggie getting captured was cool too. 50/50 Episode was so so.

Quote:
3-7 When the Dead Come Knocking - The Governor presses for information. A new guest arrives at the prison, forcing Rick's hand.
Glen and Maggie get interrogated. Andrea and Milton experiment on a walker. This experiment crap was so retarded. I find myself rooting for the zombies more and more. Merle and Glen save this episode. Decent.

Quote:
3-8 Made to Suffer - Andrea steps up as the people of Woodbury are thrown into uncharted territory. At the prison, a new threat arises.
Michonne beats the shit out of the Governor and kills his zombie daughter. Enter Tyreese. Michonne makes this one. Good Episode.

Quote:
3-9 The Suicide King -Rick tries to rescue a member of his group. Woodbury is in disarray after a recent attack. New guests raise concerns at the prison.
Daryl and Merle are rescued. Tyreese and co. get evicted. Andrea and Governor do things. The Woodbury crap is starting to grate on me. The cheap extras who behave like generic stupid townsfolk etc. I found myself screaming "Show the people in the prison! Who cares about the Woodbury soap opera!?" 50/50 decent episode thanks to Muurrle and Duurrle.

Quote:
3-10 Home - As the group debates their next course of action, Rick wanders after a lost friend. Daryl and Merle question their choices. The Governor restores order in Woodbury and makes plans to punish those responsible.
Rick wanders the outskirts of the prison following his hallucinations of Lori. So stupid. Governor and Andrea talk and do stupid things. I still don't care about them. Governor goes from being an intriguing villain to being just as whiny and useless as Andrea (who shares most of his scenes for the double whammy). RIP Axel. Crappy episode with a couple cool scenes.

Quote:
3-11 I Ain't a Judas - Their security threatened, Rick and the group must make a choice. With Woodbury in a police state, Andrea grows uneasy.
Carl calls his dad out for acting like a dumb bitch. Andrea heavy episode. God I hate this character. She's finally going to do something smart and kill the Governor in his sleep but GASP! she can't bring herself to do it. Shitty episode.

Quote:
3-12 Clear - Rick takes Carl and Michonne with him to get weapons, and returns to his hometown. However, he soon meets an old friend and tries to get through to him.
Depressing end to the Morgan story. Good episode.

Quote:
3-13 Arrow on the Doorpost - In an effort to prevent any more deaths, Rick and the Governor meet to come up with a peace treaty.
Rick and Governors meeting was ridiculous. This whole episode was crap.

Quote:
3-14 Prey - The Governor chases a dissenter who fled Woodbury. While the Governor is gone, a traitor tries to sabotage his upcoming plans.
Yet another Andrea episode. Milton starts acting even more like a bitch (which I thought was impossible). Shitty episode.

Quote:
3-15 This Sorrowful Life - Rick and the group are faced with a serious problem. If they want a truce with the Governor, they will have to make a huge sacrifice.
RIP Merle. Best episode of the season thanks to that man. More of this! Less Woodbury people, Governor, Andrea crap. Great episode.

Quote:
3-16 Rick and the group have to seriously consider if the prison is worth defending as the Governor's impending attack looms over their heads.
The Woodbury attack on the prison was so bad. Everyone on this show has Stormtrooper level aim (except Carl lol). Tyreese and co. didn't bring much of anything to this season. Why even introduce the characters? They were basically decoration. I feel sorry for the actors when they are given these house plant like roles. Milton finally gets his. Live like a bitch die like a bitch. Andrea can't talk and reach for a tool at the same time. This scene went on forever. Thankfully Andrea is dead. The Governor lives to fight another day (not looking forward to more of this crappy villain who isn't intelligent strategic or imposing at all. Dude looks like a dentist or a lawyer. Shane was soooo much better). And our heroes find a female who I fear is the next Andrea/Lori. Shitty episode. The previous one should have been the finale.

:1up: 10 "good" or "decent" episodes.

:facepalm: 6 crappy ones and a crappy finale.

So I can't honestly say this show is garbage or that it sucks but it's definitely not as awesome as it once was, can and should be. I went back and re-watched season 1 and 2 in preparation for season 3. I can't say I'm willing to do that with season 3 when season 4 comes around.

First Frank Darabont leaves now Glen Mazzara. AMC is turning into the television version of Activision. Respect the property and the talent! I'm starting to get more and more pissed while watching these dumb survivors. Most of the actors are great but the writing is becoming last season LOST level bad. I don't have much hope but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

tldr - Actors are all pretty great. The special effects are great. The writing is bad.

At least I still have Game of Thrones
:coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i've seen a few episodes and could never get into it. i got to watch Merle tower dive and kill half of the governor's crew; i figured that was going to be the high point of the show; compared to the rest i'd seen.

to me it was a lot of watching mostly people who look like daytime tv actors not adapting well to their roles; with a few obvious exceptions.
with characters who can't adapt to their surroundings; who i'm expecting all dead at the end. as the first rule of natural selection is that those who can't adapt die.

if i was sheriff: i'd go to a prison first: kill all of the prisoners, fortify, look for high efficiency and re-useable methods of killing zombies which require minimal upkeep: and i'd camp there until the hoard dwindles: then move out and setup more camps. i wouldn't be a little baby and run from place to place: i'd kill them fucking all and rest my throne on top of a mountain of 6 billion corpses.

nobody in the walking dead seems very driven to find a solution to their problem. they're a bunch of babies still seeking comfort. when really the world is theirs now; they just lack the balls to take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I agree with roo's summaries of most of the episodes. biggest exception is Rick going crazy. I really liked that they did that, and it made the episode with Morgan that much better. He saw what he would become if he didn't snap out of it, and it was a huge turning point. "Clear" was easily one of the, if not the best episode of the season in my opinion, largely for that reason. I also think the Governor is also an interesting character because it shows someone on the opposite side of the spectrum as Morgan when it comes to what Rick could become if he doesn't keep his emotions in check, and we're starting to see a lot of that behavior in Carl as well. I'm really interested in seeing where they go with that. However, I do think more time could have been spent showing Rick's unraveling sanity in place of stupid fucking Andrea. I didn't like how the show just jumped to "OMG RICK LOST IT NOW" so suddenly, and I don't think Andrea was as necessary in displaying the Governor's madness as the show wanted us to believe. I would have liked to see a slow descent into madness, or at the very least a much larger impact or loss resulting from his actions (or lack thereof) while he was too distracted to lead.

As a fan of the comics, I loved seeing the combat ring in Woodbury, but felt they really pussied out on it. If I remember right, in the comics, it was much more violent and intended to be fights to the death that they throw outsiders in. In the show, they're staged fights. I kind of feel like it was thrown in as a fan service and simply a plot device to put Daryl and Merle in danger at the midseason break. I think it would have been interesting to see them stick to the comics in that regard and really show how fucked Woodbury is, but it wouldn't have worked without reworking and rewriting the entire season, because they introduced that part of Woodbury before the Governor really starts to go mad, and with the exception of that it's a normal town. It's not as twisted of a place as the comics, with (at that time) not as twisted of a leader, so it really came across as painfully out of place.

More specifically on the finale, it didn't leave off with either closure or cliffhanger. It just.... ended. The Governor is still out there, and therefore the prison may still be in danger. That looked like a big enough town that I doubt EVERYONE fit on that bus. He can easily rebuild another army. But there was no implication that that would be his plan. It was left too open ended, and not in a way that made me want the show to return as soon as possible. On top of that, if you're not going to either resolve or cliffhang the ending, then at least throw some worthy emotional punch into the episode. Killing off a character that most fans openly hated doesn't do it. I've wanted her dead since the start of season 2 when she got pissed off and bitched at Dale about "making" her leave the CDC before it blew up. Bitch, you stood up and walked out with him. You could have been blown to bits with Jacqui and Dr. Jenner, but no.

Overall, I thought it was the best season so far. The cast keeps getting better, and as much as I hated people bitching about not enough zombies in season 2 (I always feel like they're missing the point of the show, in that it's a character based drama that just so happens to take place in the zombie apocalypse, as opposed to a show about zombies as I feel a lot of people view it...) I DO think the pacing in season 2 had some problems. Season 3 fixed the pacing, which was a plus, but I do feel like the writing itself got a bit weaker. I feel like the faster pace made up for the weaker writing though, ultimately making it a bit of a stronger season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Quote:
I do think more time could have been spent showing Rick's unraveling sanity in place of stupid fucking Andrea. I didn't like how the show just jumped to "OMG RICK LOST IT NOW" so suddenly

Yeah some build up to him losing it would've been nice.

Quote:
As a fan of the comics, I loved seeing the combat ring in Woodbury, but felt they really pussied out on it. If I remember right, in the comics, it was much more violent and intended to be fights to the death that they throw outsiders in. In the show, they're staged fights. I kind of feel like it was thrown in as a fan service and simply a plot device to put Daryl and Merle in danger at the midseason break...

...It's not as twisted of a place as the comics, with (at that time) not as twisted of a leader, so it really came across as painfully out of place.

I haven't read the comics but this knowledge actually makes it worse. Fights to the death would have been so much cooler!

Quote:
I've wanted her dead since the start of season 2 when she got pissed off and bitched at Dale about "making" her leave the CDC before it blew up. Bitch, you stood up and walked out with him.

yep

Quote:
Overall, I thought it was the best season so far. The cast keeps getting better, and as much as I hated people bitching about not enough zombies in season 2... I DO think the pacing in season 2 had some problems.

I really liked season 2 even though there was a lot less "action". I guess that's because I was way more interested in those characters than the Andrea fest season 3 turned out to be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:33 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

roo wrote:
I really liked season 2 even though there was a lot less "action". I guess that's because I was way more interested in those characters than the Andrea fest season 3 turned out to be.

Pretty much this. They made the mistake of focusing a lot of the time this season on the least interesting character in the cast. I really think that's my only major complaint with the 3rd season. Other than that I loved it. Her death even made sense. I mean, as much as I wanted her dead, I'm glad they actually gave her a solid finish. There was really nowhere else to take that character after that. Her background that they mentioned like once in season one is that she used to be a human rights lawyer or something, so she really tried her best to act as a go-between for the two groups and resolve the issue without violence. I kind of liked that. She's the prime example of someone too hung up on the way things were to survive in this new world. She tried to do what was morally right, which got her killed in the end. It's kind of a sad ending when you think about it that way; it makes her a real tragic hero. Even though i didn't like her at all, I was still a LITTLE sad when she died because I understood her motivations and felt a little bad that it didn't work.

Unfortunately, giving her an effective, tragic ending doesn't change the fact that for three seasons she was an annoying useless character :coookieesssss:

What I like about the show, as a fan of the comics, is that they have changed so much at this point that the stories are now entirely different. Even down to what characters are still alive or dead at this point in the story. I really think that's what keeps me coming back. It's like seeing the story in two alternate universes. In the comics, Glen, Rick, and Michonne discover the helicopter crash and are taken back to woodbury, and almost instantly the governor reveals his true colors; amputates Rick's hand because fuck it why not, repeatedly beats and rapes Michonne, and keeps Glen locked up in a storage shed somewhere IIRC. I guess translating it to television, that's one thing they did right. You can't just jump into that. It wouldn't be as effective in that medium to rush into how terrible of a place it is or how crazy the governor is. I like that they took the time to build that.... just.... Too much Andrea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Quote:
In the comics, Glen, Rick, and Michonne discover the helicopter crash and are taken back to woodbury, and almost instantly the governor reveals his true colors; amputates Rick's hand because fuck it why not, repeatedly beats and rapes Michonne, and keeps Glen locked up in a storage shed somewhere IIRC.

Well I can see why they decided not to have Rick lose a hand but I think they totally pussied out on the Governor raping Maggie. On tv murder is perfectly acceptable but not rape. Why not show what a horrible monster the Governor really is?

I would like to watch a tv show that really explores the world going to shit without holding anything back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:05 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

roo wrote:
Quote:
In the comics, Glen, Rick, and Michonne discover the helicopter crash and are taken back to woodbury, and almost instantly the governor reveals his true colors; amputates Rick's hand because fuck it why not, repeatedly beats and rapes Michonne, and keeps Glen locked up in a storage shed somewhere IIRC.

Well I can see why they decided not to have Rick lose a hand but I think they totally pussied out on the Governor raping Maggie. On tv murder is perfectly acceptable but not rape. Why not show what a horrible monster the Governor really is?

I would like to watch a tv show that really explores the world going to shit without holding anything back.

They knew all along the prison was going to be two seasons. Maybe he didn't rape her because he hadn't fully snapped yet. There's still time. I see your point though. Unless you're watching law and order svu, rape doesn't exist on TV.

ITT: WE DEMAND MORE RAPE