neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:
I loved the ending. This episode restored my faith in this show after a rather boring time spent at the farm since the premiere.

My only complaint: They've been looking for Sophia for so long that I completely forgot what she looked like. Therefore I didn't "get" that it was her who came out of the barn last until everyone said "omg it's sophia."

I've loved this season so far. It's taking a similar approach to storytelling that Breaking Bad takes. It's all slow burn. It focuses a lot on growing tensions between characters, and that's much more effective in my opinion when time is taken to build it little by little until it all explodes as opposed to rushing through it. Imagine Shane going this crazy in episode two or three of this season. It wouldn't have the same effect.

You also have to realize in terms of the story's timeline, it can't be more than a month or two tops since Rick woke up at the hospital. So while it may seem slow and boring to us as viewers watching only weekly, in the context of the narrative, this shit is all going down pretty rapidly. It's easy to feel like the show happens in real time (as in a week between episodes=a week between events)Sophia has probably only been missing for maybe a week or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:49 am 
Goomba
Goomba

well
[Reveal] Spoiler:
sophia was definitely a walker before otis was killed
, since he had no idea she was missing
[Reveal] Spoiler:
before he was killed
. otherwise, hershel would've known that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
sophia was in the barn the entire time
, and probably would've brought it up in some way once he knew they were looking for a little girl.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I'm not sure they're going to make anything out of figuring out when she died. aside from she was dead, literally the entire time they were at the farm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:56 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I just finished watching The Talking Dead for that episode, Kirkman flat out said that Otis found Sophia and put her in the barn before shooting Carl.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

I was going to spoil that for you, but if someone isnt caught up and checks this before watching a mid-season finale, it's their own damn fault.

you know what? just to be safe....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Whoops, sorry about that, I forgot spoilering it. But at the same time you're right, they do deserve to have it spoiled if they're dumb enough to check the thread without seeing the newest episode.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:58 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

is it February 12 yet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
Web Slinging KSK

It was a pretty good Episode Holy SHIT
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Rick shot those guys super quick, like he was doing a pistol dual in the old west, Oh also I lol'd at Renee from true blood, he was the stranger talking the most. Also next weeks Episode looks awesome I knew those guys friends were gonna show up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:05 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Spidey wrote:
It was a pretty good Episode Holy SHIT
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Rick shot those guys super quick, like he was doing a pistol dual in the old west, Oh also I lol'd at Renee from true blood, he was the stranger talking the most. Also next weeks Episode looks awesome I knew those guys friends were gonna show up.

I'm trying to remember the equivalent event in the comics. I'm positive Herschel wasn't there. But I wonder if this is the start of the prison and Woodbury/The Governer storylines. God I hope so. Also, there's a character I really want to see that I don't think they can introduce soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 am 
Fire Brother
Fire Brother

Just finished watching. HOLY SHIT DAT ENDING

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:29 pm 
Web Slinging KSK

That last episode was pretty good,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jeez Rick looked pissed off at the end, His wife really was egging him on, the next episode looks to be a pretty good one as well. Also I would have totally just shot that guy in the head, not took him with me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:26 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Good news: They cast someone to play The Governor next season.

Bad news: It's not Danny Trejo.

Instead, it's David Morrissey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:06 pm 
Web Slinging KSK

It was a pretty good episode, I am sad there is only 3 more episodes :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

made me remember They Live kinda.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:20 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu------- :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

illblamesum1else wrote:

This :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

well...when they said they'd deviate from the comics and go their own route while touching on some major things here and there.....they've went their own way now....hard.....damn :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

illblamesum1else wrote:

couldnt have said it better myself =(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
well...when they said they'd deviate from the comics and go their own route while touching on some major things here and there.....they've went their own way now....hard.....damn :(

They already did that with Sophia though. I guess they just did it again to REALLY force the point that no matter how familiar you are with what goes on in the comics, that doesn't mean anyone is safe. Plus now I'd be really interested to see 1) Carl's psychological stability after this. I firmly believe this will either make him go mad, or just shut down all emotion completely. He went from being nothing more than a background character/plot device to being on the verge of becoming one of the most interesting characters on the show. This could be to Carl what Sophia disappearing was to Daryl.

and 2) if they still kill Shane like everyone thinks. He's lived long beyond his lifespan in the comics so he could go at any minute. But I am beginning to wonder if the rumors of him leaving the show were started on purpose to throw people off and really shock the shit out of people with Dale's death. Will they kill off two major characters, or was it all just one giant misdirection?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 am 
Microgoomba
Microgoomba

This is my first post in this thread. I watched the 4 most recent episodes yesterday and I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carl is far more of a dipshit in the show than he is in the comic in my opinion. Sure he's got some phychological issues in the comic but he's not nearly as stupid, psychotic or disobedient in the comics. He (note: I cannot spell 'definitely' correctly) does some crazy shit, but it's always because it's what he believes is required/what his dad wants/what will earn him respect. On the T.V show he's just a troubled spoiled brat. And as for Dale, he was a great character in the comics. In the T.V. show (which I also love) he just seems to whine and complain. I understand that he's supposed to be the voice of morality but it's as though he hasn't noticed how the world has changed. Has he completely forgotten the terrible things the group has had to go to survive? He's not a believable character in the T.V show. He is supposed to be old and wise, and yet he seems to be unable to accept or identify threats when they appear, simply because of his apparent moral issues. Surely if he had as much love for the group as is shown then he'd be wise enough to see the right course of action. I mean Herschel was much more moral and anal about killing, and yet he came around, though Dale has seen far more of the horror than Herschel has. I accept that the T.V. show might want to go in a slightly different direction but I just do not believe Dale as a legitimate character. Happy to see what happened in the last episode.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:09 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Mewshew wrote:
This is my first post in this thread. I watched the 4 most recent episodes yesterday and I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carl is far more of a dipshit in the show than he is in the comic in my opinion. Sure he's got some phychological issues in the comic but he's not nearly as stupid, psychotic or disobedient in the comics. He (note: I cannot spell 'definitely' correctly) does some crazy shit, but it's always because it's what he believes is required/what his dad wants/what will earn him respect. On the T.V show he's just a troubled spoiled brat. And as for Dale, he was a great character in the comics. In the T.V. show (which I also love) he just seems to whine and complain. I understand that he's supposed to be the voice of morality but it's as though he hasn't noticed how the world has changed. Has he completely forgotten the terrible things the group has had to go to survive? He's not a believable character in the T.V show. He is supposed to be old and wise, and yet he seems to be unable to accept or identify threats when they appear, simply because of his apparent moral issues. Surely if he had as much love for the group as is shown then he'd be wise enough to see the right course of action. I mean Herschel was much more moral and anal about killing, and yet he came around, though Dale has seen far more of the horror than Herschel has. I accept that the T.V. show might want to go in a slightly different direction but I just do not believe Dale as a legitimate character. Happy to see what happened in the last episode.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carl was a pretty normal kid in the early comics, if I remember right. It was killing Shane that started his psychological issues, and from there more actions that added to it. Since that hasn't happened in the show (at least not yet) and the show is sort of an alternate universe where Shane survived, they needed some other catalyst to start that transition. With the show, I think it began with Sophia being in the barn, and witnessing the barn massacre. He's suddenly become much more desensitized after that, which was shown throughout the entire episode leading up to that ending, which is just going to push him over the age. As they said on Talking Dead, he's not acting any different than any other kid his age would in this world, and he unfortunately learned the hard way that having any kind of childlike curiosity now is going to have fatal consequences. On top of how desensitized the kid will now be, he also cannot just be a kid. All in the last episode, they've really started to develop the character and if handled right, he could quickly become the most interesting character on the show. I for one am personally looking forward to seeing what Chandler Riggs can do.

As far as Dale goes, the comparison to Hershel you drew was a little unfair. Hershel's morality dealt with whether or not the barn walkers were living people. He learned to accept what had happened once he witnessed first hand that they were not. Dale's moral argument was that Randall is, in every sense of the word, a living human being. Hershel came around and changed his mind because he learned that was wrong. The walkers are not living humans. Randall is. That's a HUGE difference in my opinion. Dale in the show, especially with Carl's mental stability now in question, represented the last bit of humanity in a world where humanity didn't exist. I don't think he was ignorant at all for the arguments he made. He was determined to not let the world around him strip what was left of civilization of everything that made them civilized. His comment to Shane of "At least I can say that when the world went to shit, I didn't let it take me with it" or whatever the exact quote was, pretty much summed up the entire character. His death wasn't just the end of the character. It was symbolic for the last shred of humanity vanishing. The closest thing we have to a strong voice of reason now is Glenn, and he lacks that sense of wisdom and world experience to the point where I don't think anyone will really take him seriously.

Overall, as the oldest and youngest members of the group, Dale and Carl respectively represent a life of what the viewer perceives as normal suddenly having to adjust to being turned on its head, and a life where this is and always will be the norm. In an event like this, the generational gap seems like centuries and I find it interesting that they chose to use one to ultimately, albeit accidentally, end the other.

TL;DR- shut up those are two of the more interesting characters on the show by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

ASDKFHASKJDFBHWIERHFER@#RTW#W(GFSAGAS HOLY FUCK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

took em long enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

and that's where that was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

click the spoiler below (warning, really is a massive spoiler) and then click to reveal my sig.

THEY FINALLY KILLED SHANE!!! TWICE!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next