neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

As posted in the recommend a movie in theaters thread: discuss the best movies and tv shows of 2011. I guess tv show could either be new show or show that just had a great year.

I saw a disappointingly low number of movies in theaters this year, and not many more as they came out on DVD. I've been unemployed so I haven't had the money to drop $11+ on a movie ticket. The final Harry Potter was pretty damn good, and one of the few movies that I think 3D actually did something to improve the experience. The Muppets coming back to the big screen was another huge moment. Green Lantern was meh, but I saw it for free, and X-Men First Class far surpassed my expectations. I really can't remember what other movies, if any, I saw theatrically this year. So I'll say my favorite movie of the year was The Muppets.

As for TV, I haven't really watched any new shows either. A few episodes of that new Tim Allen show made me laugh a few times, and that's about it. One show is really not enough to judge.

As far as TV shows with good years, I have to say Breaking Bad. Hands down the best show of the year. This season (the show's 4th) was, in my opinion, the best season the show has had. They ramped up the tension and suspense and fired on every cylinder in every episode. Runner up in my book would be Community. The best show on tv that for some reason no one is watching. Critically acclaimed with a rabid, but unfortunately small, fanbase, the tailend of season 2 was Community at it's absolute best. News of the show going on hiatus spread, and the reaction on the web surprised me, as it made me realize the fan base was a bit larger and more devoted than I thought. Winning TV Guide's reader's choice to be on the cover after the hiatus was announced was a huge moment for a fantastic show that could potentially be at risk of not getting a 4th season (and perhaps final if all the characters went to school full time)

To sum up-
Best picture: THE MUPPETS (although I need to see a lot of movies before I make a final judgement)
Best TV Show: BREAKING BAD

Post subject: Re: Best of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I think Breaking Bad kicked every other show's arse this year, I thought Dexter got off to a bad start this season but these last few episodes were pretty awesome.
As for new TV series this year, I think Death Valley was awesome and Alphas was more enjoyable than I expected. Hell on Wheels has only just started but I've enjoyed every episode, I've only watched the pilot for Grimm but it didn't look bad.
I think Game of Thrones wins easily though for new show. Biggest disappointment was The Cape, It could've be so cool but it was retarded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

TV Show: Always Sunny
Movie: I feel like this is a hard topic for me. Only blockbusters come out here.

1. 13 Assassins

2. Source Code
3. Warrior
4. Planet of the Apes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I might throw in Attack the Block for one of the best movies of the year. I can't get over how entertained I was by it.

I thought Dexter was great all season. It picked up much quicker than season 5 did and I was interested in it almost immediately. The guest stars this year are great. I'd put Walking Dead ahead of Dexter as well. A lot of people complained about the second season being really slow and taking too much time on the search for Sophia, but most of the people that complained, when asked what could be done to make it better, they just tell me "There needs to be more zombie attacks!" These are the people that I feel are completely missing the point of the show... It's a character drama first and foremost with zombies. Not a zombie horror show. It's doing what it set out to do, and it's doing so quite well. But, Breaking Bad still wins.

I look forward to the last few episodes of Chuck in 2012. The show's weaker moments are always after the network orders more episodes when they've already completed a story arc for the season, so they have to scramble to come up with ways to stretch out an already concluded storyline. This happened in seasons 3 and 4, and possibly even 2, where the show had what would have been phenomenal season finales, just to come back and bring back the entire problem that was just resolved. This time, being the final season and on a Friday night, I highly doubt that NBC will fuck it up and demand more episodes after the series finale is already shot. With the strength of finales (both mid-season and season) this show has had, I can't wait to see what they do in the series finale. Season 5 has been pretty decent so far, probably the best they've done since season 2 (which was my favorite season.)

I'm not as crazy about Always Sunny as I used to be. I've only seen 3 or 4 episodes this season, but to me it really feels like they started being offensive for the sake of being offensive. Like they're going out of their way and trying too hard to be funny and edgy. It's gotten to a point where I feel like the show is aware of it's reputation for pushing the envelope, and is purposely seeing how far it can be pushed. I don't know, season 7 just feels forced to me so far...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

In alphabetical order:

Captain America: The First Avenger
The Muppets
X-Men: First Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:11 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Snifit wrote:
In alphabetical order:

Captain America: The First Avenger
The Muppets
X-Men: First Class

this

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Best New Series:
Easily Game of Thrones. As a fan of the books I was floored with the series. Counting the days until season 2 begins.

Best Returning Series:
Dexter has been weak this season. The Walking Dead was a bit blah at times. I'll probably go with a comedy. Probably a toss-up between Community and Parks & Recreation.

Best Movie:
I don't remember all the movies I saw this year. I think Flud mentioned 13 Assassions and that movie was amazing (I blind-bought it on blu-ray and wasn't dissapointed in the least.) As far as movies I saw in the theater probably either X-Men: First Class or Super 8.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:09 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Maybe it's just me but I don't see why multiple people are saying Dexter and Walking Dead have both been weak. Even outside of this forum. Dexter has had very solid performances from all three of it's guest stars this season and I find it fascinating to watch a character like Dexter contemplate faith. Walking Dead maybe had one weak episode, if that.

You're entitled to your opinion though. I'm not trying to be all "NO YOU'RE WRONG ITS GREAT" but I just don't quite get where it's coming from because I personally feel like both shows have been fantastic almost weekly.

I agree with Parks and Rec though,even though I watched the whole series at once within the past few weeks (Leslie's trial was the first new episode I watched) so I kind of don't know what was technically this year and what wasn't. I don't know where the line between 2010 and 2011 was last season. Disregard that, I forgot season 3 started in January 2011, so all of last season was this year. In that case, yes, Parks and Rec deserves to be in a best of 2011 discussion. It's one of those shows that keeps getting better and better every year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

To me, the first couple of episodes of Dexter just didn't feel like they started as strong as other seasons, but it turned around quickly for me, I still love the show. I've loved every episode of Walking Dead this season.
Parks and Recreation seems to be just as good if not better every season, the characters have all really grown on me. I agree with blame about It's Always Sunny for the first couple of episodes, but Thunder Guns Express :D
New Season of Misfits is better than I expected it could be I mean, Nathan was hilarious to watch and usually his lines were the highlight of the episode so I'm gald that even without that the show is still awesome. Curtis getting himself pregnant... D:

As for movies, I really enjoyed all the Marvel movies, Captain America, Thor and X-men but Attack the Block was a surprise, a nice surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 am 
Bucket Of Flud

I forgot Game Of Thrones was this year. Vote changed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:57 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TV:
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Community
Walking Dead
Burn Notice / Always Sunny

Movies (note: This is before "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". I'm pre-assuming since it's Fincher I'm going to fall in love):
The Muppets
Horrible Bosses
Captain America (Don't care...it was a solid film and an amazing Captain America movie compared to the other 2. Even with hiccups I was in love)
....I haven't seen many other films this year. Tower Heist surprised me in how enjoyable it was. But I mean.....?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm 

Bogey wrote:
Captain America (Don't care...it was a solid film and an amazing Captain America movie compared to the other 2. Even with hiccups I was in love)

Is someone saying Cap WASN'T a good movie? Cap was fucking awesome. Captured the WWII feeling and the character perfectly. It was possibly the best Marvel movie to date.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
Bogey wrote:

Is someone saying Cap WASN'T a good movie? Cap was fucking awesome. Captured the WWII feeling and the character perfectly. It was possibly the best Marvel movie to date.

damn right. No, funny story like 2 weeks after the film came out I got 3 long texts from a friend that basically said "If you thought captain america was a good film then you don't know a fucking thing about anything in comics and your taste in movies is so shitty I don't see why you have eyes to watch them." I brought it up to some other people and they were just like: "yeah, he got really drunk before going to see the movie and continued getting hammered afterwards." So, whatever. I've just decided not to bring up my absolute love of Captain America to him ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:17 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I don't see why multiple people are saying Dexter and Walking Dead have both been weak. Even outside of this forum. Dexter has had very solid performances from all three of it's guest stars this season and I find it fascinating to watch a character like Dexter contemplate faith. Walking Dead maybe had one weak episode, if that.

You're entitled to your opinion though. I'm not trying to be all "NO YOU'RE WRONG ITS GREAT" but I just don't quite get where it's coming from because I personally feel like both shows have been fantastic almost weekly.

I agree with Parks and Rec though,even though I watched the whole series at once within the past few weeks (Leslie's trial was the first new episode I watched) so I kind of don't know what was technically this year and what wasn't. I don't know where the line between 2010 and 2011 was last season. Disregard that, I forgot season 3 started in January 2011, so all of last season was this year. In that case, yes, Parks and Rec deserves to be in a best of 2011 discussion. It's one of those shows that keeps getting better and better every year.

When I say Dexter has been weak I'm comparing it to previous seasons of the show. The guest stars have been good, primarily Mos Def who was killed off way too soon. Keep in mind I haven't watched the latest two episodes, but I still think the story has been moving too slow. My biggest gripe was the twist (which was about 5 - 10 years too late.) The whole this character isn't real and it's all in this other character's head thing has been done to death in previous years, and I knew it almost from the start, and it was tough to buy into the story as a result. I still love the show, and I hope my prediction comes true at the end of the season Deb's gonna find out about Dexter.

The Walking Dead has kept me interested, but I enjoy the show a lot more when they're on the move. They spent too much time on the farm just milling around not doing anything. That all changed in the mid-season finale, so my hopes for the second half of the season are very high. It's a fantastic show, but it could have been better.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:56 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I personally think this season of Dexter is a lot better than season 5. I'd put this season just behind 1 and 4, which were equal in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

Bogey wrote:
Snifit wrote:
Bogey wrote:

damn right. No, funny story like 2 weeks after the film came out I got 3 long texts from a friend that basically said "If you thought captain america was a good film then you don't know a fucking thing about anything in comics and your taste in movies is so shitty I don't see why you have eyes to watch them." I brought it up to some other people and they were just like: "yeah, he got really drunk before going to see the movie and continued getting hammered afterwards." So, whatever. I've just decided not to bring up my absolute love of Captain America to him ever again.

Captain America was a decent movie. It was just full of too many montages for me to get into. It felt more like a highlight than a movie.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:43 pm 

I only recall two montages throughout the movie. But still to each his own.

I have also decided that The Muppets is my choice for movie of the year based on six simple words: Smells. Like. Teen. Spirit. Barbershop. Quartet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
Smells. Like. Teen. Spirit. Barbershop. Quartet.

SO. MUCH. THIS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:19 am 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Snifit wrote:

Even though there may not have been a lot of montages, my main problem is that they montaged through the main action of the movie. Cap sees a map with Hydra bases on it, and they montage through the destruction of the bases in such a hurry that it makes anything that happens afterward seem all-of-a-sudden. I liked the movie a lot, but I would've liked about 15 minutes more action. Oh, and names for the commandos. Why they never bothered introducing them in any way was kind of odd.

As for my favorite movies of the year:

The Muppets: The most fun I've had at the movies all year.
Drive: Just about the coolest movie ever, with an awesome soundtrack, and Albert Brooks as a villain
Harry Potter 7.5: It's finally over.
X-Men First Class: They didn't get the origins right, but it was still awesome.
Thor: Marvel action with some fun fish out of water stuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45 am 
KSK Mastermind

forgot about super 8, that was a bitchin film

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am 

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Oh, and names for the commandos. Why they never bothered introducing them in any way was kind of odd.

That's true. I mean they had Union Jack but never game him his costume or actually name him, outside of the credits, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Crashman wrote:
forgot about super 8, that was a bitchin film

shit yeah it was

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:

Why do people always bring this up

It's a movie that exists in its own continuity

It's literally impossible for a movie to accurately follow the plot of cape books the way the comic medium works. Each character in that movie probably has half a dozen origin stories at this point. That's why First Class and Nolan's Batfilms work so well. They focus more on themes and character development than who did what when and where in what issue in what continuity

Anyway 2011 mostly sucked for serious film that wasn't just franchise/nostalgia baiting but Drive was a fantastic film on multiple levels so it gets my vote with little to no competition.

Props to The Thing and Scream 4 for being fun horror flicks I guess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:30 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:

Why do people always bring this up

It's a movie that exists in its own continuity

THIS. If they wanted to get the origins right, they would have completely ignored the original trilogy. I don't think that was their goal. They wanted to breathe fresh air into a tired franchise rather than completely reboot it. I feel like that's why we got Havoc instead of Cyclops, and Lenny Kravitz's kid as Angel (Tempest) instead of the original Angel. Some of the characters from the actual original X-Men already had their origins covered in different ways in the movies, so rather than act like none of that ever happened, they worked around it by providing similar characters to fill their spots. As much as X3 was disappointing and Wolverine flat out shat on everyone's childhood, I respect their decision to try and keep this movie in the same line of continuity as the rest of the films. If it brings the quality of the franchise back up, maybe they'll be able to get Bryan Singer back to do X4. Not really NEEDED, but I think that cliffhanger at the end of 3 deserves some kind of resolution.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:49 am 
Bucket Of Flud

Snifit wrote:

I have also decided that The Muppets is my choice for movie of the year based on six simple words: Smells. Like. Teen. Spirit. Barbershop. Quartet.

I just rewatched it and stopped counting after the fourth one.