neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Simpsons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

a theater in LA will be showing The Simpsons from episode 1 all the way to the 500th episode starting on February 8th. This will go all the way through the airing of the 500th episode on Feb 19th. Anyone who can sit through all 500 episodes will earn $10,500 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
a theater in LA will be showing The Simpsons from episode 1 all the way to the 500th episode starting on February 8th. This will go all the way through the airing of the 500th episode on Feb 19th. Anyone who can sit through all 500 episodes will earn $10,500 bucks.

SOMEONE BUY ME A TICKET TO LA. I WILL PAY YOU BACK WITH SOME OF THE WINNINGS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I'd be curious to hear more about the stipulations involved in this. 500 episodes at an average of 24 minutes per episode is just over 8 days. Obviously you'd have to be allowed to go to the bathroom, to eat, and to sleep (in the theater?) Doesn't seem too difficult. You just have to live in the theater for a little over a week. Have people bring you food throughout and it seems like an easy $10,500.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bubble Man wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I'd be curious to hear more about the stipulations involved in this. 500 episodes at an average of 24 minutes per episode is just over 8 days. Obviously you'd have to be allowed to go to the bathroom, to eat, and to sleep (in the theater?) Doesn't seem too difficult. You just have to live in the theater for a little over a week. Have people bring you food throughout and it seems like an easy $10,500.

exactly. i want to learn more about this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Shit, I could pay for part of my college with that kind of scratch. And the only bad part would be sitting through the ~100 episodes that are crap. :coookieesssss:

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
Shit, I could pay for part of my college with that kind of scratch. And the only bad part would be sitting through the ~100 episodes that are crap. :coookieesssss:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think I've ever seen a "bad" episode of that show. Without a doubt it has certainly lost the quality it had in the first half of the series so far, but any time I've watched it recently I've still been entertained. I've never seen an episode that makes me think, "Wow this is shit, I'm going to turn it off now." It's impossible to keep a show at it's highest quality for what, almost 24 years, consistently. Sure it sucks in comparison to what it was. But it's still not what I'd call awful. Unless I just keep happening to catch the better of the "bad" episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:

well you can obviously sleep. seeing as staying awake for 8 days will kill you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I get the feeling there's breaks in the schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think I've ever seen a "bad" episode of that show. Without a doubt it has certainly lost the quality it had in the first half of the series so far, but any time I've watched it recently I've still been entertained. I've never seen an episode that makes me think, "Wow this is shit, I'm going to turn it off now." It's impossible to keep a show at it's highest quality for what, almost 24 years, consistently. Sure it sucks in comparison to what it was. But it's still not what I'd call awful. Unless I just keep happening to catch the better of the "bad" episodes.

I think Bob Chipman hit the nail on the head about the Simpsons:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5166-The-Simpsons-Is-Still-Funny-Part-2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

Oh really? Closest I got was 5 days, but I doubt I'll ever be able to do that again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Neon Jackal wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

Oh really? Closest I got was 5 days, but I doubt I'll ever be able to do that again.

longest i've gone is the end of day 4. i know exactly what you mean. though i do 3 relatively frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Snifit wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I think Bob Chipman hit the nail on the head about the Simpsons:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5166-The-Simpsons-Is-Still-Funny-Part-2

Museum of Swordfish is one of my favorite random buildings they've ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I think the Simpsons is like pizza. You can't really have a bad pizza, only a below average one.

I dunno, it just seems like when Family Guy came along and started doing Non Sequester jokes, Simpsons was like "Ah, okay, that's what kids like nowadays, is it?" And started trying to fit Family Guy humor into a show that isn't designed for it.

Plus, they've rehashed episodes a few times now. Homer's joined the military like 2 or 3 times now. None of their characters ever age, but they keep doing flash forward episodes to show their future.

I dunno, it seems like they're running out of ideas sometimes, and then something comes out of left field, and it's just really original and funny again. The show is inconsistent in how good it is.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 pm 

Nameless88 wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

I think the Simpsons is like pizza. You can't really have a bad pizza, only a below average one.

I dunno, it just seems like when Family Guy came along and started doing Non Sequester jokes, Simpsons was like "Ah, okay, that's what kids like nowadays, is it?" And started trying to fit Family Guy humor into a show that isn't designed for it.

It drives me nuts when people say this. If you go back and watch earlier seasons of the Simpsons, like 3 and 4, they do a lot of cut away jokes. Remember all the times Homer talked to his brain or they showed Grampa in the retirement home? Granted they will cut away to an established character rather than a random pop culture celebrity, but they did those types of jokes before Family Guy ever came on the air. Then they stopped for a while, Family Guy came on, the Simpsons started again, and every one accused the Simpsons of stealing Family Guy's schtick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:

It drives me nuts when people say this. If you go back and watch earlier seasons of the Simpsons, like 3 and 4, they do a lot of cut away jokes. Remember all the times Homer talked to his brain or they showed Grampa in the retirement home? Granted they will cut away to an established character rather than a random pop culture celebrity, but they did those types of jokes before Family Guy ever came on the air. Then they stopped for a while, Family Guy came on, the Simpsons started again, and every one accused the Simpsons of stealing Family Guy's schtick.

That plus you can TOTALLY have bad pizza.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm 

Pizza is like sex. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's still pretty damn great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
Pizza is like sex. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's still pretty damn great.

I disagree. Though I'm sure we've had this discussion before, and I'm sure I've made this point before... I'm probably just spoiled and a bit of a pizza snob having lived in the NYC area for my entire life. Around here, it's hard to find bad pizza. Go out of the area, and some places' best pizza can't even compete with our Dominos. And I fucking hate Dominos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Snifit wrote:

I dunno bad sex can be pretty bad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:15 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
Snifit wrote:

I dunno bad sex can be pretty bad

right? and so can bad pizza.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Nameless88 wrote:
None of their characters ever age, but they keep doing flash forward episodes to show their future.

Out of nearly 500 episodes, that's happened 4 times. The most recent one, before the 2011 Christmas special (great episode, btw), was 7 years ago.

As for why the show is different, I don't think it's the cutaway gags. My problem is that the show relies too heavily on easy sarcasm rather than being creative or irreverent, there are way too many musical montages, the characters have become pretty one-dimensional, and the guest stars are used in uncreative ways. I've been watching season 14 this week, and some episodes don't make me laugh out loud, or at all for that matter, but all-in-all it's still fairly funny. It's just not as funny as it was once.

I don't feel like listing examples of each of my points right now, but the guest star thing is what I think leaves a bad taste in a lot of viewers, especially critics, mouth's. Also, it's bugged me within the last day. The episode I watched last night had Bart emancipating himself from Homer & Marge. Good potential for comedy there. Turns out his new apartment is downstairs from some kind of indoor skate-park where Blink-182 is playing and Tony Hawk hangs out. When these guest stars were around, there were no good jokes. I guess the comedy comes from the inherent silliness of the situation. :roll:

In the past, they used the guest stars hilariously (Homer at the Bat had 9 baseball players, and they were all funny. Also, Krusty gets Kancelled had a bunch of big name stars, just for the sake of having them, but it was still great) or they were random throwaway appearances (Dick Cavett in the one where Homer goes to clown college. He has about a 1 minute scene, and Homer threatens to kick his ass if he doesn't leave. Also, Bob Newhart in the one where Krusty fakes his death, Ernest Borgnine in the boy scouts episode, Sting digging Bart out of a well, then being shoved out of the way by Homer, etc...) or they were playing a character that wasn't just a cartoon version of themselves (Danny Devito as Herb, Glenn Close as Mother Simpson, Dustin Hoffman as Lisa's substitute teacher, Johnny Cash as Space Coyote, etc...) or they were Phil Hartman or Jon Lovitz.

The point is, they didn't used to rely so heavily on guest stars as marketing ploys. Or maybe they did, but the episodes were funnier, and actually made funnier by the guest stars.

We can discuss this further if everyone would like. Do we need a Simpsons thread?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:18 am 

Snifit wrote:

It was just a quote I had heard one day and thought it applied. I agree there can be bad sex and bad pizza, but I still feel that of all the "bad" versions of things to have...sex and pizza rank pretty well.

And Stank I agree. I've noticed that guest stars seem more about "Hey look who's on the Simpsons!" It's not really about the show, it's about the name.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Nameless88 wrote:
None of their characters ever age, but they keep doing flash forward episodes to show their future.

Out of nearly 500 episodes, that's happened 4 times. The most recent one, before the 2011 Christmas special (great episode, btw), was 7 years ago.

Ah, okay, see, I actually caught that episode, and I thought that they'd been doing that more, since I hadn't seen one in a long time that did that.

And, completely agree with the guest star part. It seems like they're just throwing names out there and going "Hey, yeah, we got this guy to be on as himself now, isn't that cool? :awesome: " and that's kind of the whole point of it.

I miss when Phil Hartman would come on and do characters.

Futurama does this to an extent, too. They'll have people come on as their head in a jar, but then they also have great voice talents like Mark Hammil doing the Chanukah Zombie, and that's infinitely more awesome, I think.

I know that they used to do cutaway jokes, too. I actually miss those kind of jokes. But it feels like since Family Guy came on, they've relied too heavily on non sequestors as their level of humor.

Back in the day, Homer was a real man. He was a dad, he had problems with his marriage and life, but he was a good guy. Over the seasons, he just kind of got dumber and more slapstick, and the show relied more on cheap jokes than actually connecting to us on a level that we can relate to.

I haven't religiously watched the show in years, though, so, I can't speak entirely from experience. But, it seems like the grade of their humor has gone down in the last few seasons.

Now, if that isn't true, I'd really like a few episodes of the newer seasons to really pick up and watch, so I can get some of my faith renewed in the series.

Oh, and the other thing that really bugs me currently is their HD opening sequence. It's just nonstop gag joke gag joke gag joke and then the couch gags have been lasting way longer than they used to. It just feels like they're filling up time with jokes that fall flat, you know?

But, I digress for now. I still like the show, if I remember what time it comes on at, I'll always sit down and watch it (I'm just never around a TV around the time the new ones are on Sunday).

ExPostFacto wrote:

Post subject: Re: The Simpsons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The movie proved that they can still do it, and once that was done the quality of the episodes did hit an upswing.

as for the contest in February:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/121/1216064p1.html

as it goes for length you'd be in the theater watching 7.6 days worth of Simpsons. Luckily all movie theaters offer free refills on soda :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bogey wrote:
The movie proved that they can still do it, and once that was done the quality of the episodes did hit an upswing.

as it goes for length you'd be in the theater watching 7.6 days worth of Simpsons. Luckily all movie theaters offer free refills on soda :coookieesssss:

they say there is only one winner; what happens if multiple people sit through the entirety of it? do they air re-runs until its last man standing?

i can sleep for 3 days straight; does it count if my strategy involves sleeping through 500 episodes of the simpsons? i saw the record they were trying to break was for continuous tv watching; sleep should then make it moot. and staying awake for such a period will result in death. but if you sleep doesn't that technically make it not continuous? same would apply for leaving your seat for any reason. not to mention if you use some kind of stimulant to stay awake for such an extended duration you're going to get heart complications.

this seems like a stupid and vague contest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S1eepy wrote:
Bogey wrote:

they say there is only one winner; what happens if multiple people sit through the entirety of it? do they air re-runs until its last man standing?

i can sleep for 3 days straight; does it count if my strategy involves sleeping through 500 episodes of the simpsons? i saw the record they were trying to break was for continuous tv watching; sleep should then make it moot. and staying awake for such a period will result in death. but if you sleep doesn't that technically make it not continuous? same would apply for leaving your seat for any reason. not to mention if you use some kind of stimulant to stay awake for such an extended duration you're going to get heart complications.

this seems like a stupid and vague contest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16660273/ns ... g-contest/
could make for a good headline

edit: 86 hours huh? im trying to be impressed but it's hard to appreciate a talent so extraordinarily useless.

I saw a picture of the simpsons the other day with the caption "cartoons aren't just for kids" or something, and i immediately thought "no, but that one is". A once brilliant show is fucking terrible now, it was run into the ground just like every other us series.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house