neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am 
Goomba
Goomba

so i'm watching the trilogy, and for some reason something isnt really sitting right with me about the whole happy ending where marty's parents are all happy and rich, and everything's A-OK for him and doc. so i started thinking about all the movies and the theories they presented and came to a very unsettling and horrifying realization.

let me start off explaining it with the theory doc brown presents to marty in part 2. while in the bastardized version of 1985 in which biff is now the most powerful man in hill valley, doc explains to marty that the biff from 2015 must have used the time machine to go back and alter history. he then further explains how the reality they're living in now is not the reality which they know, but an alternate dimension of sorts. this is when they realize they need to go back in time and stop biff from ever getting his hands on the sports almanac.

now, let me apply the same logic to the first movie. marty DOES change history (though not as drastically as biff) when he travels back to 1955 and needs to make his parents fall in love. when he returns home he realizes that by doing this, he's changed the future for the better. HOWEVER, applying doc's logic to this event, the 1985 marty returns to is not the REAL 1985, but an alternate 1985 in which his parents are now happy, he has a bitchin' truck, etc.

now this gets you thinking, the people from the 1985 where marty originally came from still exist in their own time line. THIS is the heartbreaking revelation i had. marty is blissfully ignorant to the fact that he now lives in an alternate reality. in the original version of 1985 where he came from, he NEVER returned on the night he went to go meet up with doc. he suddenly went missing. imagine his already frail parents, not to mention jennifer as well, dealing with the sudden disappearance of someone they loved. their hearts are crushed. they'll never find out what happened to marty.

the only way marty would've been able to return to the 1985 he actually came from would have been to stop himself from interfering with george when he was about to get him by the car lorane's father was driving. this would've caused a paradox, as he would of had to interact with himself from another timeline. he's left with no choice but to exist in this alternate universe while the family that raised him and the girl that he loved forever question how and why the marty they know and love vanished one night.

this is the horrifying reality that is BTTF. thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:22 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Worse: Remember, his mother (young version) fell in love with him and thought him to be Calvin Kline. Now, growing up, she never wondered about the very prominent Calvin Kline brand? Also, she and her husband both new this fake Calvin Kline, he did after all bring them together and was thus a huuuuge influence on both their lifes. Don't you think they'd remember how he looked. Don't you think Marty's dad would get suspicious about the fact that his supposed son looks absolutely EXACTLY like this kline guy that his wife had a crush on back in highschool? His daughter too while we're at it. So fucking weird.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am 
KSK Mastermind

time travel is painful

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I call shenanigans on this theory. In BttF2 when they discuss going back to alter history and stop Biff Marty asks about leaving Jennifer on the porch. Doc responds that time will alter around her, including her perceptions. Since only Doc, Marty, and Einstein are in the time vehicle they exist outside of the normal time continuum and are thus excluded from it's effects. That's why Marty doesn't recognize any of the things happening in Biff's 1985. He wasn't there to grow up in that world. So the notion that there is an alternate universe Original 1985 where Marty's parents have lost their son doesn't seem correct since the movie's logic has done everything to force the idea of one and only one timeline. I know in Doc's drawing he drew a split but that was to show that events have altered the current timeline and instead of the 1985 they remembered this is how the timeline looks now and Biff's 1985 is the new 1985.

So yes, Doc and Marty recognize that the 1985 they live in (with badass truck and better parents) is not technically the original 1985, it's also a universe where Marty's life is better so does he really want to go back?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BttF's idea of time-travel is very hollywood, and fraught with paradox. Essentially he changes his own history, and has no memory of it - which basically suggests he does in fact split timelines and create universes, but if that is happening then there is also always the alternate version of himself - for there to be a no marty universe there has to be a universe with two martys. What I am saying is, the original universe might very well have an alternate Marty in it, since they are all hopping around time in DeLoreans. This goes against the weird logic of the movie though - after all, he can interact with his own time travelling self, and he fades away when he might not be born. They tried very hard to represent it as a single timeline.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:10 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Speaking of time travel, did anybody notice TGFA posted here, or am I suddenly stuck in 2010?

(note: when checking these forums, I start in serious discussion and work my way up. It's probably explained elsewhere.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

gimp wrote:
BttF's idea of time-travel is very hollywood, and fraught with paradox. Essentially he changes his own history, and has no memory of it - which basically suggests he does in fact split timelines and create universes, but if that is happening then there is also always the alternate version of himself - for there to be a no marty universe there has to be a universe with two martys. What I am saying is, the original universe might very well have an alternate Marty in it, since they are all hopping around time in DeLoreans. This goes against the weird logic of the movie though - after all, he can interact with his own time travelling self, and he fades away when he might not be born. They tried very hard to represent it as a single timeline.

true, i guess it is possible that in BTTF part 1, when marty watches himself time travel at the end, that marty could be returning to an alternate time stream where his parents fail at life. but still, it seems unlikely to me seeing that the events played out exactly the same. plus, if marty had an awesome family to begin with, why would he befriend some crazy scientist guy to begin with? i always figured the reason him and doc got along so well was because they were both alienated with the environments that they were living in (marty with his shite family, and doc with his estate being turned into a strip mall).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

SelfishMan wrote:
gimp wrote:

true, i guess it is possible that in BTTF part 1, when marty watches himself time travel at the end, that marty could be returning to an alternate time stream where his parents fail at life. but still, it seems unlikely to me seeing that the events played out exactly the same. plus, if marty had an awesome family to begin with, why would he befriend some crazy scientist guy to begin with? i always figured the reason him and doc got along so well was because they were both alienated with the environments that they were living in (marty with his shite family, and doc with his estate being turned into a strip mall).

so where is rich marty? other universes have other martys. What happened to the marty who's parents didn't have a time travel interfering? divide by zero oh sh

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

In this thread, people rehash parts of this video like its their own opinion.

http://www.cracked.com/video_18203_why- ... fying.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:00 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
In this thread, people rehash parts of this video like its their own opinion.

http://www.cracked.com/video_18203_why- ... fying.html

ITT Nape is incapable of independent thought.

Are we not nerds?

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

MEIN GOTT