neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars viewing order
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Okay, so, my girlfriend wants to watch Star Wars, because she hasn't seen them since she was a kid.

She sent me a link to this article: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/1 ... ing-order/

And asked if this seems like a good idea. What's everyone's thoughts on this? I think the viewing order that he describes here, IV V, then cut from the main story and go to II and III, and finishing on VI is actually a pretty good idea.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Replace "child" with "girlfriend."

What the gay?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

My recommended order: 4, 5, 6, stop.

I know it's cliche, but seriously. Just don't do the prequels. At all. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm 
KSK Mastermind

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
My recommended order: 4, 5, 6, stop.

I know it's cliche, but seriously. Just don't do the prequels. At all. Ever.

haters gonna hate. Just another butt hurt fan above :P

i always thought 4,5,1,2,3,6 is good, especially for first time viewers. I will probably do it this way for Betsy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I just don't see a reason to watch bad movies in order to enjoy a pretty good series. Episodes 1-3 are, in order, Mediocre but kind of fun, cringe-inducingly horrible, and masturbatory fan-service and special effects in lieu of a movie. You want someone who hasn't seen the series before to enjoy it and appreciate it? Show them the movie saga that actually earned it its reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm 
KSK Mastermind

and this does that, as well showing the entire series. just because you dont like em, they are still canon. And they arent neerly as bad as some folk claim.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Proper Star Wars viewing order:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Star Wars nerd told status:

[] Not Told
[] Told
[x] No Country for Told Men

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
You want someone who hasn't seen the series before to enjoy it and appreciate it? Show them the movie saga that actually earned it its reputation.

I agree with this, but I kinda see Crash's point, too. I mean, there's nothing to say you (meaning someone that's somehow new to the series) need to watch the prequels more than once. Lucky for me, my 8 year old niece just straight up refuses to watch the prequels. She LOVES the original trilogy though. I personally wouldn't watch them again unless it was with someone that wanted to see the entire series, but I don't think I'd try to talk them out of it. Warn them, maybe, that they don't come close to the originals. But I'd never tell them not to give them a chance if they really want to see them all.

That said, I'd show each trilogy separately. Either originals first so there can be a fair warning, or prequels first, to make the originals seem even better. Either way works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I think originals first. Otherwise you get to Empire Strikes Back, Vader reveals he's Luke's father, and they think "I've known that for two whole movies now..."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Snifit wrote:
I think originals first. Otherwise you get to Empire Strikes Back, Vader reveals he's Luke's father, and they think "I've known that for two whole movies now..."

well, I mean, unless you're showing it to a little kid, EVERYONE already knows that whether they've seen the movies or not. That's one of the most famous twists of all time. Up there with Soylent Green is people, Bruce Willis is dead, they were on earth the whole time, Rosebud was his sled, and Kevin Spacey did it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

The only people that hate the prequels are fans so I see no problem with watching them in release order. I don't think the prequels are as bad as everyone cries about them being, there sure are a lot of movies I'd consider to be a LOT worse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

machete order

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

illblamesum1else wrote:
Snifit wrote:

well, I mean, unless you're showing it to a little kid, EVERYONE already knows that whether they've seen the movies or not. That's one of the most famous twists of all time. Up there with Soylent Green is people, Bruce Willis is dead, they were on earth the whole time, Rosebud was his sled, and Kevin Spacey did it.

I still think that scene has punch, even if you know the twist, without having a whole trilogy building up to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

The point isn't so much knowing that he's his father, it's the dramatic irony in that the audience knows it but the character doesn't. While it doesn't have as much of a "Holy shit! WHAT!?" moment for me, it certainly has that for Luke.

Also, nobody told him that Leia is his sister. The whole Luke, I'm Your Father thing is very well known, but the reveal that Leia is actually his sister is kind of a lesser known part of that. Which makes the sexual tension he feels for her all the more lulzy.

I really think there might be some merit for showing New Hope, Empire, then switching it up and going Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith, and finally Return of the Jedi. The "Machete Order" as this guy has dubbed it.

I feel like this could work, really. I just need to find some unaltered versions of the original trilogy, because I hated when I showed my friend and I had to be like "Fuck, they screwed that part up. Let's take a side trip to Youtube for a second here, I'll show you how that shit *should* have gone down."

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Neon Jackal wrote:
The only people that hate the prequels are fans so I see no problem with watching them in release order. I don't think the prequels are as bad as everyone cries about them being, there sure are a lot of movies I'd consider to be a LOT worse.

Yeah man, sure these movies are bad, but that's totally excusable because these unrelated movies over here are worse

[Reveal] Spoiler:
That doesn't actually make it okay :coookieesssss:

Bogey wrote:
machete order

The Machete Order: Watch Machete instead because the Star Wars prequels blow and Machete rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I'm just saying that the movies aren't all that bad, and I compare the prequels to other movies because comparing them to the original trilogy is unfair because it's impossible for them to be as good.
I think that machete order is dumb, if you care so much about the story and hate the prequels then don't even bother watching them, just watch 4, 5 and 6.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Neon Jackal wrote:
comparing them to the original trilogy is unfair because it's impossible for them to be as good.

why

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Mostly because of nostalgia I would say, I think the originals being good was an accident.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

TheBatman wrote:
Neon Jackal wrote:
comparing them to the original trilogy is unfair because it's impossible for them to be as good.

why

Because they were written as a collaborative effort and they existed before everyone and their grandma was sucking George Lucas's dick and calling him a genius.

At a Robot Chicken panel I went to, two of the shows creators (the ones who aren't Seth Green :coookieesssss: I'm terrible for not knowing their names. Matt and something else. Dan Stephanoposaurus or something? Anyway...) were talking about meeting up with George Lucas to talk about making the Star Wars episodes of their show. They walked around the Skywalker Ranch with him, riding their little segways, and when they went down the halls of the buildings, everyone parted like the red sea for them. Lucas said to them "People are afraid of me. :awesome: "

Sooo...he knows he can get away with whatever terrible writing because people are afraid to tell him "No." and he knows it.

And that's why the New Trilogy could've been better.

But, in the theater, I do remember everyone fucking clapping when Yoda got into a saber fight. And...fuck me, Grevious was a bad ass. So, there were some highlights to the movies, don't get me wrong. But...Dat Romantic Sub Plot? Nope.avi

But, it isn't all bad. I'd say it's like 2/3rds good. But, not just 2 good movies and 1 bad, it's like...mixed between the three. It's like a bowl of trail mix, and you're just looking for the M&Ms and Cashews, but you keep getting raisins.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:45 am 
KSK Mastermind

there are plenty of great things each one brings to the table for star wars fans. I'd break it down for ya, but i gots to go to work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nameless88 wrote:
I feel like this could work, really. I just need to find some unaltered versions of the original trilogy, because I hated when I showed my friend and I had to be like "Fuck, they screwed that part up. Let's take a side trip to Youtube for a second here, I'll show you how that shit *should* have gone down."

the link in the first post also contains a link to a 720p version of the original unaltered trilogy.

But yeah that guy breaks down the reasons for the "machete order" with enough reasoning behind it for me to say that seems like it is worth a valid shot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:45 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The prequels are bad.

What the gay?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:50 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

your bears are conspiring. i see pooh bear over there. . . sending his his patsy a message.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

S1eepy wrote:
your bears are conspiring. i see pooh bear over there. . . sending his his patsy a message.

Fur sure.

:yeeeeahhhhh:

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
But, it isn't all bad. I'd say it's like 2/3rds good. But, not just 2 good movies and 1 bad, it's like...mixed between the three.

Attack of the Clones makes up almost a full 1/3 of the 2/3rds bad. By your trail mix comparison, the Yoda fight was the only M&M in the bag, and it tasted a lot like fan service.