neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: So, I'm a bronie now.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 am 
The NESkimullet

Finally broke down and watched both seasons of MLP and... well, it's a good, well-produced show.

It's actually rather interesting how cartoon culture has evolved over time. Animation began as something that everybody watched just because it was, well, new. Then, slowly over time, it began to be seen as a thing for children. About the time most of us were kids, though, the trend of children's cartoons that could be enjoyed by adults started back up. I'd say that Tiny Toons was the very first spark that would ignite the fire that was later the likes of Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain. Of course, there was also BTAS and Gargoyles.

And now, of course, people who grew up watching stuff like that are, well, grown-up. And some of them decided to make a cartoon about ponies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:43 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Aw please, no :(

Y'all know I'm a huge transformers fan and I've been a moderator over at TFW2005 since 2002 and we've got a serious infestation of Bronies on the message boards. Everyone is sporting god-aweful My Little Pony avatars and sigs, it's gotten to the point where it split the fandom in half.

But hey, to each his own. Good for you if you like the show, but please don't change your Eddie avatar for a damn pony :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm 
The NESkimullet

Hook wrote:
But hey, to each his own. Good for you if you like the show, but please don't change your Eddie avatar for a damn pony :facepalm:

NEVAH!

Like you said, it's a good show that I watch because it's funny and I like it. As far as the rest of the fans go, I should probably point out that, even prior to this, I was already a member of one of the most rabid fandoms in existence (none other than Buffy, Teh Slayer of Vampyres).

In summary, some people are oboxious, and others aren't. Often, members of both groups watch the same TV shows.

BTW, props for the Final Frontier avatar. You going to see the 7th Son tour this year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

BTB wrote:
BTW, props for the Final Frontier avatar. You going to see the 7th Son tour this year?

No, and I'm pretty pissed too, a few of my fiends are going to the show and I'll be thousands of miles away, because it's during my summer family vacation :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:57 pm 
The NESkimullet

Screw the family. I have Maiden to see!

Actually, I'm taking my little sister with me. It's her first Maiden show. I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:40 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Quote:
So, I'm a bronie now.

me too i guess, though i've mostly found it too boring and slow to pay much attention to past the 4th or 5th episode.

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:
Also, Gimp, I can see your dick from my house

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

this will be my only contribution to the thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/ClopClop

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:46 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Blackman! wrote:
this will be my only contribution to the thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/ClopClop

+1

becoming a bronie is the first step on the long walk to achieving social oblivion.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
The NESkimullet

S1eepy wrote:
becoming a bronie is the first step on the long walk to achieving social oblivion.

Please.

I achieved social oblivion *years* ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:23 am 
Bucket Of Flud

I really don't understand the bronie movement. The show is well animated, and has more moments of humor than other young kids shows, but its still a show for little kids. If you are a parent I understand watching it with your child...but the bronie movement seems almost like "its cool to like uncool" things. Sort of a cartoon hipster.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

fludbucket wrote:
I really don't understand the bronie movement. The show is well animated, and has more moments of humor than other young kids shows, but its still a show for little kids. If you are a parent I understand watching it with your child...but the bronie movement seems almost like "its cool to like uncool" things. Sort of a cartoon hipster.

with a splash of fur-fag

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 am 
The NESkimullet

fludbucket wrote:

I can see how that's how it would seem, and it's probably a part of what draws people to it initially, but the novelty of being a grown man who watches a show made for little girls will really only carry you for a few episodes max before it starts to get old. Beyond that, the show needs to actually be good to keep my interest.

Granted, the fact that it's a show made for little girls means that it contrasts strongly with absolutely everything else I watch. It's a rather refreshing change of pace from my rape/murder and zombie flicks, to be quite honest.

A lot of people point to the show's humor as one of the main reasons it's considered good, and I can't really argue with that. I'm sure we have quite a few Invader Zim fans here, and Pinkie Pie is pretty much Gir's pony equivalent; at least 80% of the show's hilarious moments somehow involve her.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Zim is a lot of commentary. mostly on stupid things people do. it also came after JTHM which was astoundingly deep and candid. its like reading the diary of a psychopath who turns out to be correct in most of his observations.

i get the kids show angle for ZIM, granted i haven't watched all of it, but from what i've seen the author vents his frustrations with society in much the same way he did with JTHM.

basically; i'm asking if MLP has the same layering going on. is it relevant? or it is just a kids show? zim was made as a kids show where most of the humor flys straight over a child's perspective. they get the slapstick, but a lot of the reasoning for staging and setup is lost. i liken zim more to south park, except instead of the contract being picked up by comedy central; it was picked up by nick.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 am 
The NESkimullet

Well, don't get me wrong - you're not going to find anywhere near the same level of social commentary in MLP as you do in Invader Zim. Invader Zim is a cartoon for adults that just happens to be watchable by children. MLP is ostensibly a childrens' show, but it's one of the rare few that goes out of its way to give a damn and produce a quality product.

There are countless occasions on the show where you can sort of see where the basic plot is going and can pinpoint the exact moment where lesser writers would have cut it off and gone for the cliche/formulaic resolution, but MLP tends to go that extra mile and present its overall simple plot in a more intricate fashion that isn't condescending or patronizing to its target audience (if that makes any sense).

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

ah. i think i follow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 am 
The NESkimullet

Also, ponies are fucking metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVBcm_BZRs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

it's very well written, and therefore entertaining, but it's for little girls plain and simple. everything can be described with the adjective "cute" and it's pretty slow and repetitive like most kids shows.

fludbucket wrote:
If you are a parent I understand watching it with your child...but

you don't understand turning on the tv?

fludbucket wrote:
The show is well animated, and has more moments of humor than other young kids shows

sounds like you do

fludbucket wrote:
I really don't understand the bronie movement.

uhhh it's a scene, not a movement. they're just behaving like a scene. Juggalos, mods, rockers, all of their music is shit, and they think it's worth being violent over. at least bronies picked a decent kids show to latch onto and don't beat each other up about it (as far as i know).

Image i dreamed that I fucked my cat. She had big human arms and force fed me the medicine I've been force feeding her for the last two weeks. Then she forced me to sit on her lap so she could pet me to assure me she still loves me.
Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

gimp wrote:
at least bronies picked a decent kids show to latch onto and don't beat each other up about it (as far as i know).

I need to see this happen. Even if it's staged and I'm directing it myself. Bronie Fights needs to be a thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
gimp wrote:
at least bronies picked a decent kids show to latch onto and don't beat each other up about it (as far as i know).

I need to see this happen. Even if it's staged and I'm directing it myself. Bronie Fights needs to be a thing.

Second. Image

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm 
The NESkimullet

I get the feeling that I wouldn't have much difficulty beating the piss out of the vast majority of the MLP fandom >.>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

BTB wrote:
I get the feeling that I wouldn't have much difficulty beating the piss out of the vast majority of the MLP fandom >.>

then its a good thing i'm not a betting man; all of my money on BTB.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

BTB wrote:

Especially the non bronies. This is another thing I'd pay to see. BTB taking on a gang of little girls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:52 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
BTB wrote:

Especially the non bronies. This is another thing I'd pay to see. BTB taking on a gang of little girls.

same here. i'd pay a lot in fact, but only if BTB is making one liners the whole time and then after winning goes into his trailer and gets picked up by a hurricane only to land on his ex-wife.

(hope i got that right lol)

Nameless88 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

gimp wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
BTB wrote:

same here. i'd pay a lot in fact, but only if BTB is making one liners the whole time and then after winning goes into his trailer and gets picked up by a hurricane only to land on his ex-wife.

(hope i got that right lol)

This sentence is the entire synopsis, plot outline, and screenplay all at once for BTB: The Movie.

EDIT: OH! OH!! The soundtrack for BTB beating up little girls is Justin Beiber singing covers of Iron Maiden songs!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:11 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

It's shit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]