neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I figured we're all pretty much guaranteed to see this movie, if we haven't already, so there should be a place to talk about it. This way there can be a spot where you don't need to worry about spoiler tags and we won't all hijack the other threads.

So yeah, the Avengers.

Discuss.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I won't say anything yet, I've waited a week to talk to you guys about it, I can wait a few more hours. Though I just heard you guys get an extra end credits scene but it's not important or anything, once I heard what the scene was it made me laugh.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Yeah the extra credits scene is great

As is the rest of the movie

Hulk steals the show like a motherfucker

Very little in the way of major flaws and I'm a pretty picky motherfucker

Kinda has WHEDON stamped all over it but the banter works pretty well

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:00 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Fuck, that was awesome.

That scene where Hulk just absolutely destroys Loki like a fucking big angry gorilla just wailing on him? I laughed so damn hard at that.

And, shit, I really didn't expect what happened to Phil. He went out like a fucking champ, though. :911::

And, someone else in the theater said it, so I need some confirmation here. I thought the teaser at the end was showing a Skrull, but someone else behind me dropped the name Thanos. Can I get some confirmation on that? That's a character that I'm not really familiar with.

Also, if anyone here is reading this before seeing the movie, please, kick yourself in the dick. Find a way to do it, and then do it. :coookieesssss:

Also, what exactly is Thanos' powers? Is his power just being him?

Like, could someone direct me to something showing how much of a motherfucker this dude is? I just wanna know why I should be excited about him, haha.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am 
Bucket Of Flud

I saw it twice last week. The scene with Hulk and Loki was great. Overall the movie is really good, but the middle drags just a small bit. (the whole lack of trust scenes on the aircraft carrier). I hope some of you got my clue last week for Thanos :-D

Thanos powers
Quote:
Thanos is a mutant member of the race of superhumans known as the Titanian Eternals. The character possesses abilities common to the Eternals, but in some cases far beyond any other known member of his race; acquired through a combination of his mutant Eternal heritage, bionic amplification, mysticism, and the entity Death. He has demonstrated enormous superhuman strength, stamina, and particularly durability; is able to absorb and project vast quantities of cosmic energy; is virtually ageless and immortal; does not need food, drink, or oxygen; and is capable of certain telekinesis, as well as telepathy and matter manipulation. The advanced technology within his transportation chairs includes force field projection, time travel, movement through alternate universes, space flight, and teleportation over interstellar distances. Thanos is an accomplished hand-to-hand combatant, having been trained in the art of war on Titan.
Thanos possesses superhuman intellect (he considers his mind his greatest weapon) and has knowledge of Celestial and other alien technology. Thanos is a genius in virtually all known fields of advanced science and has created technology far exceeding contemporary Earth science. He is also a master strategist and sometimes utilizes a space vessel called Sanctuary II as a base of operations.
Other versions

Also he was part of one of the best comic arcs dealing with this item seen in Odin's hall in Thor. It was also the plot behind the super nintendo game "Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems"

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Soo, he sounds like a bad motherfucker. I'll look forward to seeing what they do with him. Or, more importantly, what he wants with Earth.

I've still got my fingers crossed for Skrull or Civil War, though. But, the cartoon is doing Skrulls right now, so, hey, that works.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

There was this one small child in the row behind me, any time the Hulk was on screen this kid would go nuts, he fucking loved seeing the Hulk, especially those two scenes with Thor and Loki.

I was wearing an Infinity Gauntlet shirt when i saw this so it was very exciting to see Thanos at the end there.

Also, any other Whedon fans might've noticed who voiced the Chitauri leader in the credits as Alexis Denisoff, That's Wesley from Buffy/Angel.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Whedon knows how to do things like this. Man, it was like he wrote an Avengers mini-series and just filmed it. There was a moment during that gigantic battle in New York where I just stared in awe at just how epic the fight was becoming. Hulk tore it down too.

EDIT: I have to comend my fellow movie goers last night. About 10 minutes after I sat down this group of 4 high-school aged kids sat in front of me and started tearing into multiple soda cans they brought and were hardcore loud. During the credits they made a point to try and MST3k it. I figured I was in for one shitty viewing experience all because of these fucking kids. One guy sitting to their left just looked at them and said very nicely "come on guys" and they were completely respectful during the entire film. Probably the best opening night crowd I've ever been around.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 am 

Bogey, I caught your hint. I thought it might be Thanos and as soon as I heard the "courting Death" line I nearly shit myself.

Yeah the movie was pretty fucking great. Hulk stole the show but everyone seemed to have at least one solid scene. I really liked how they explained Hawkeye's different arrows.

Absolutely loved the extra scene at the end. Not the Thanos reveal but the OTHER scene.

I knew, I just KNEW, Whedon was gonna kill Coulson. I fucking knew it. :fuckingsun:

For some reason it never crossed my mind that Hulk and Thor would square off. Seeing that was pretty damn awesome.

The only thing I would sa I didn't like was the missing "Avengers assemble" line. I mean, they couldn't fit that in anywhere? Still awesome AWESOME movie.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Snifit wrote:
The only thing I would sa I didn't like was the missing "Avengers assemble" line. I mean, they couldn't fit that in anywhere? Still awesome AWESOME movie.

I could've sworn it was said at least once, but it's been a week so my memory is a bit foggy.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:57 am 

I figured it would come right around Cap giving his orders to everybody but no. I didn't catch it at all. Maybe it was in your version but not ours :P

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I saw it and liked it a lot. Was worried how the new guy playing Hulk would be, but damn, I liked him even better than Edward Norton. The movie really showed how a blockbuster SHOULD be made; a high effects budget ALONGSIDE a strong script and really great performances from all the actors.

I also liked the mid-credits thing. Do I need to mark spoilers in this thread, since the whole thread is marked? Fuck it. That was Thanos, right? So do you guys think we're gonna get something with the whole infinity gauntlet deal in the near future?

Also, the end-credits scene made me lol, even though it left a pretty big question in my mind. That scene was implied to take place right AFTER they got done with that fight in NY, it seemed like. So, before Thor send Loki back to Asgard. So...what...was Loki waiting in the car while they got food? Did they bring him leftovers?

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 pm 

I loved Ruffalo in this movie. And yeah, I'd imagine the Infinity Gauntlet is a pretty safe bet.

I actually loved the final scene although you make a good point. I'd like to think that Loki is chained up and just sitting on the curb outside.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:26 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Oh yeah, I liked the scene, just saying, it made me curious where Loki was.

It really was just a genuinely great movie. A few things, as Batman said, were a little stereotypically Whedon, like agent Coulston's death, but I mean, Whedon is good at this sort of thing, and it shows.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:37 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

fuck yeah, tacos

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:02 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
fuck yeah, tacos

I agree with this statement but also am unsure of its relationship to The Avengers, unless I missed something, or you're referring to the shawarma scene and for some reason calling it tacos?

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I saw it and liked it a lot. Was worried how the new guy playing Hulk would be, but damn, I liked him even better than Edward Norton. The movie really showed how a blockbuster SHOULD be made; a high effects budget ALONGSIDE a strong script and really great performances from all the actors.

I also liked the mid-credits thing. Do I need to mark spoilers in this thread, since the whole thread is marked? Fuck it. That was Thanos, right? So do you guys think we're gonna get something with the whole infinity gauntlet deal in the near future?

Also, the end-credits scene made me lol, even though it left a pretty big question in my mind. That scene was implied to take place right AFTER they got done with that fight in NY, it seemed like. So, before Thor send Loki back to Asgard. So...what...was Loki waiting in the car while they got food? Did they bring him leftovers?

I imagine it went something like this:

"I'll have that drink now."

"Yeah, no, asshole, we're gonna go inside, and eat some Shawarma. We aren't even going to crack a window. You just sit in that hot car, and think about what you did to Phil. Did you know his name was Phil? Because his name was Phil...You antlered fuck."

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:32 am 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Am I the only one who thought Loki was a lot like The Monarch? Because he was.

Oh, and the movie was pretty great. Love that it ended with everyone going their separate ways, so we can have several years worth of individual sequels before Thanos shows up and destroys everything.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:35 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
TheBatman wrote:
fuck yeah, tacos

I agree with this statement but also am unsure of its relationship to The Avengers, unless I missed something, or you're referring to the shawarma scene and for some reason calling it tacos?

Yeah the food looked kinda like Tacos and I have no idea what shawarma is so my b

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:19 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I thought they were just getting falafals or tacos or something, too. But then I remembered that Tony Stark was like "Hey, wanna go get Shawarma after this? I have no idea what it is, but I wanna try it. :coookieesssss: "

And then the last scene is them trying Shawarma. I didn't get it until I was walking out of the theater, but it just kind of clicked. And I think that's brilliant.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:12 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

What the hell is it though

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:36 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

its kinda like a pita. but instead of just referring to the bread it constitutes the foodstuffs about to be nomnom'd.

i learned all about them back in '09 after a similar wutdafuk.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:50 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

TheBatman wrote:
What the hell is it though

It looks like it's basically the Arab equivalent to gyros?

But, instead of just lamb, it's other kinds of meats that are slowcooked and then thrown into a wrap thing.

That was just doing some quick google-fu and reading a wiki article, and looking at the food they were eating and just taking some guesses.

ExPostFacto wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am 
KSK Mastermind

it was pretty awesome.

So yeah, you guys do know that those alien things they were fighting were pretty much Skrulls right? The leader that was talking to Loki all the time had the wacky chin.

Oh, and they called themselves Chitauri, which is the ULTIMATE version of Skrulls, http://marvel.wikia.com/Chitauri

Yeah, it really had everything I wanted, all the characters felt like they were coming off the pages of an Avengers comic.

Thanos at the end, awww yeah, gonna get some infinity gauntlets up in this shit!

NOW, when it comes to super hero movies in general i have a small gripe, but this movie doesn't do it that much because, well the nature of the film, but they always leave out the fact that there are other super heroes. New York is getting its ass raped, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE FANTASTIC FOUR?! They could just have someone go "Hey Maybe Richards can help us" "Naw bro, he's stuck in the negative zone" Then i will go, ok that explains him.....
WHERE THE FUCK IS SPIDER MAN?! "Oh dude, he's like doing some sort of photography convention in California?" Oh... ok that's weird, but ill take it?
WHAT ABOUT DARE DEVIL? "Dude... it's dare devil, he cant do shit in this situation..." Oh right.

I would just like a slight nod to there being other heroes around. That's what made the leading up The Avengers movie good, cause they'd be like "Oh yeah, Remember that captain america guy?" And stuff like.

Another thing, this caused me to buy comics again, and i REALLY want to play Heroclix again... The Avengers really sparked my comic book interest back up to like it was in 2001 or so.

Now if only someone will make a GOOD Fantastic Four movie...... (The first one was OK, but they fiddled with too much stuff. The second one was just... ugh... Noel likes to bring up "Dr Surfer" and it makes me cry inside.)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

They can't mention those other guys because the movie rights are owned by other companies