neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline
KSK Mastermind
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 10137
Location: Orange Park
TheBatman wrote:
hammy jokes like that are classic Spidey


this

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 6998
Like I said, I'll wait until the finished product, and maybe be pleasantly surprised, but something about the joke just feels...off, to me. Like, it feels less like he's making witty banter while fighting crime and more like he's openly taunting and mocking a criminal he's already basically caught, but I mean, not much context in the trailer I realize. I'm open to the possibility that it will be good, it just, as of now, doesn't look very good to me. I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.

_________________
Don't trust the skull.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:12 pm
Posts: 6534
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.


Now that you bring all this up, the trailers don't really show much of his origin, just him asking about his dad, and messing with some web shooters. Maybe they already took your idea and jumped right in. Probably not, but it would be a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe they could refresh everyone on his origins with an opening credits montage.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:14 pm 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 6998
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.


Now that you bring all this up, the trailers don't really show much of his origin, just him asking about his dad, and messing with some web shooters. Maybe they already took your idea and jumped right in. Probably not, but it would be a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe they could refresh everyone on his origins with an opening credits montage.

That would be ideal for me, but I don't see it as likely. I feel like the whole advantage of rebooting a franchise this soon after the original is that you don't need to retread all the same material, and sadly I think they still probably will.

_________________
Don't trust the skull.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:47 am 
Offline
VAN DAMMAGE
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:12 pm
Posts: 9336
Location: Gotham City
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
he's openly taunting and mocking a criminal he's already basically caught


Spider-Man...does that all the time

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 am 
Offline
Angry Star
Angry Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 6998
The tone of it seems off to me. It's possible I'm just nitpicking.

_________________
Don't trust the skull.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 am 
Offline
KSK Mastermind
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 10137
Location: Orange Park
yeah, hate to say it, but when Spidey is in "quip-mode" he is kind of a dick like that. In AvX:Versus 2, he went into douchebag detail about how he normally beats Juggernaut (while fighting Colossus who is Juggernaut now). he's kinda like Deadpool, without breaking the fourth wall and such.

edit: Kool-aid joke?

Image

Edit 2: Fat jokes?

Image

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline
I got bann3ded!!1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:07 pm
Posts: 21774
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.


Now that you bring all this up, the trailers don't really show much of his origin, just him asking about his dad, and messing with some web shooters. Maybe they already took your idea and jumped right in. Probably not, but it would be a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe they could refresh everyone on his origins with an opening credits montage.

That would be ideal for me, but I don't see it as likely. I feel like the whole advantage of rebooting a franchise this soon after the original is that you don't need to retread all the same material, and sadly I think they still probably will.

I'm okay with retreading. It is soon after another VERY successful series and unless they change a lot, the story will be relatively similar. But, at the same time it's still a new franchise that really needs to set itself apart from the Raimi films. It needs to establish it's own identity as a series and make the point that this has NOTHING to do with the Spidey's we've already seen. Whether the main details of the origin changes or not, redoing the origin story gives this new series a chance to present said story in a certain pace and tone that establishes what this franchise is all about. If they're looking to be darker, tweak the how and why of the events surrounding the origin to match the darker tone. If they want to make it all about fate and Peter being predestined to become Spider-man, they have to throw examples of that in too. I feel like just glossing over the origin wouldn't really give this series as much of an opportunity to establish it's own identity.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group