neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:12 pm 
KSK Mastermind

TheBatman wrote:
hammy jokes like that are classic Spidey

this

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Like I said, I'll wait until the finished product, and maybe be pleasantly surprised, but something about the joke just feels...off, to me. Like, it feels less like he's making witty banter while fighting crime and more like he's openly taunting and mocking a criminal he's already basically caught, but I mean, not much context in the trailer I realize. I'm open to the possibility that it will be good, it just, as of now, doesn't look very good to me. I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.

Now that you bring all this up, the trailers don't really show much of his origin, just him asking about his dad, and messing with some web shooters. Maybe they already took your idea and jumped right in. Probably not, but it would be a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe they could refresh everyone on his origins with an opening credits montage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:14 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I also, as I mentioned, am not looking forward to another 20-40 minutes being spent hearing about how Peter was a dork and then got bit by a spider and then did the whole wrestling thing and was selfish with his powers and then his uncle got killed and just, oh god, it's been done to death. Why not take a cue from the Edward Norton hulk movie and just jump right in since your audience almost certainly already knows this origin story? The stuff with his parents being in this might be neat, but doesn't necessitate doing the whole origin story again.

Now that you bring all this up, the trailers don't really show much of his origin, just him asking about his dad, and messing with some web shooters. Maybe they already took your idea and jumped right in. Probably not, but it would be a pretty pleasant surprise. Maybe they could refresh everyone on his origins with an opening credits montage.

That would be ideal for me, but I don't see it as likely. I feel like the whole advantage of rebooting a franchise this soon after the original is that you don't need to retread all the same material, and sadly I think they still probably will.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:47 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
he's openly taunting and mocking a criminal he's already basically caught

Spider-Man...does that all the time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

The tone of it seems off to me. It's possible I'm just nitpicking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 am 
KSK Mastermind

yeah, hate to say it, but when Spidey is in "quip-mode" he is kind of a dick like that. In AvX:Versus 2, he went into douchebag detail about how he normally beats Juggernaut (while fighting Colossus who is Juggernaut now). he's kinda like Deadpool, without breaking the fourth wall and such.

edit: Kool-aid joke?

Edit 2: Fat jokes?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Sir Stank a Lot wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

That would be ideal for me, but I don't see it as likely. I feel like the whole advantage of rebooting a franchise this soon after the original is that you don't need to retread all the same material, and sadly I think they still probably will.

I'm okay with retreading. It is soon after another VERY successful series and unless they change a lot, the story will be relatively similar. But, at the same time it's still a new franchise that really needs to set itself apart from the Raimi films. It needs to establish it's own identity as a series and make the point that this has NOTHING to do with the Spidey's we've already seen. Whether the main details of the origin changes or not, redoing the origin story gives this new series a chance to present said story in a certain pace and tone that establishes what this franchise is all about. If they're looking to be darker, tweak the how and why of the events surrounding the origin to match the darker tone. If they want to make it all about fate and Peter being predestined to become Spider-man, they have to throw examples of that in too. I feel like just glossing over the origin wouldn't really give this series as much of an opportunity to establish it's own identity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5