neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:48 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Too lazy to write a full review right now concerning all my thoughts, but I will just say I fucking loved it. I thought it was a fantastic way to end one of the stronger trilogies we've seen in a while. I thought Anne Hathaway was superb as Selina Kyle. I never doubted that casting for a second, much like Ledger as Joker, and while a lot of fans complained about both, I hope they were once again silenced (admittedly not near the same level Ledger made them stfu.)

After watching all three recently, I feel like Dark Knight is the odd one out and the weakest of the trilogy, despite having the best performance in the series.

Discuss the movie here. Spoiler tags not required. If anyone clicks on this thread without seeing the movie first it's their own damn fault.

Post subject: Re: Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:50 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm more intrigued about it's status in the "trilogy list". All the films were super solid. It may damn well be near the very top.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

It had quite a few really awkward moments but as the conclusion to Bruce Wayne'Batman's character arc it more than excelled

I still like Batman Begins the best but this was a hell of an experience

I wish he could have faked his death in a less hokey way than somehow surviving a SIX MILE NUCLEAR BLAST but hey it did what it needed to do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
I'm more intrigued about it's status in the "trilogy list". All the films were super solid. It may damn well be near the very top.

I'd go as far as to say it's the best trilogy of the last 25 years. I'm trying to think of another in that time frame and can't think of one that was as well written, acted, and directed throughout all three films. Sure, they each have their strengths and their flaws, but it was overall a very engaging series.

Also Bats, I agree. The nuclear blast thing was a bit ridiculous. But that aside I really have no complaints about this movie. It was pretty much everything I expected it to be, and was a great ending to the series in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I liked it but thought a lot of parts of it were sorta dumb/didn't make sense and it was pretty terribly paced. The parts that worked worked really well, though. I was pleasantly surprised by Hathaway; the way she played her character almost felt like she was actually in a comic book movie, and it's kind of a shame that the rest of the movie didn't meet that aesthetic.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I'm just surprised they didn't go with killing him off. You could have almost the exact same ending but Alfred is disappointed at the diner. Hell, just have them show Alfred look up at the diner and him smile and nod. No camera look over at the table at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Bogey wrote:
I'm just surprised they didn't go with killing him off. You could have almost the exact same ending but Alfred is disappointed at the diner. Hell, just have them show Alfred look up at the diner and him smile and nod. No camera look over at the table at all.

I think that would have been just as effective as it'd be safe to assume he spotted Bruce. I guess they wanted to show it though just to show that the girl he was with was Selena.

My cousin pointed out that killing him off would have made more sense if he still had no fear of death. But establishing his fear of death in the prison made it a little better of an ending that he survived. As far as everyone outside of Alfred and Selena are concerned, he sacrificed everything to save the city, and became the symbol Gotham needed. He became a true version of the false symbol Dent became. I feel it's important that he survived because he got to see witness what his success and redemption meant to the city he spent so long trying to protect. It also gave Alfred a happier ending. I would have been mad as hell if the last we see of Alfred in this trilogy is him crying at Bruce's grave about failing to protect him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:12 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bruce needed to survive because half the point of his character arc was being unable to let go of Batman

So by faking his death (in a really stupid way but whatever) and passing the torch he was finally able to free himself

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
Bruce needed to survive because half the point of his character arc was being unable to let go of Batman

So by faking his death (in a really stupid way but whatever) and passing the torch he was finally able to free himself

I could see that working either way. Depended on if they wanted to make him a triumphant hero or a tragic hero. Not being able to let go of Batman, dying as Batman, and saving the city in the process would have been a decent ending for a tragic hero, in my opinion. It would have been a noble ending for the Caped Crusader but a very tragic end to the man behind the mask. I think it could have worked if they wanted a more bittersweet ending.

Faking his death, still saving the city and being able to let go of Batman was a good ending for a triumphant hero, and a good ending for both Batman and Bruce Wayne.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:06 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

It seems to me like he could have done the exact same thing without faking his death. Like, he did all this, now he feels ready to move on...why not just tell Alfred that and then if he wants to leave Gotham Bruce Wayne can just retire? Faking his death seems overly dramatic. I guess maybe he needed to be "dead" in order to inspire what's his name to take over for him? Calling the dude "Robin" also seemed sort of dumb considering what he was doing had nothing to do with Robin at all, but whatever, it was kind of cool in a silly way.

Also, apparently Multiple Ninja Theorem applies to Batmobiles? Batman and Catwoman were gunning those down in a matter of seconds, haha.

I sound really negative, but I did like the movie.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:56 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Finally watched DKR, and loved it. The only thing I didn't like is how random people deduced Wayne was Batman throughout the movie. That kinda made the movie fall into the derp zone a few times. I started having a crush on Hathaway since Get Smart, but after seeing her on the Batcycle I want her in the worst ways haha. I never watched Batman Begins, but I think The Dark Knight was definitely better than this movie, mainly because everyone wasn't going "HEY! BRUCE WAYNE = BATMAN!!!" every three minutes.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:09 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Bane was really well done. I didn't know if I'd enjoy him or not. He had a lot to live up to in people's minds due to Ledger, but I think he did a fantastic job. Really well written and a great tie-in to bring it all back around.

The fight scenes having no background music when they were one-on-one with Bane just destroying Batman was also a great choice. It made it feel so much more "oh shit" and just made you watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:36 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Blackman! wrote:
I never watched Batman Begins

:cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 am 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

My only complaint is that somehow Bane's voice was less audible than Batman's. :cookieshuh:

Also, the score for the movie was like...nonstop, and it was kind of annoying, and actually drowned out a few lines.

Maybe that was just my position in the theater, though, I dunno. Maybe our theater was just screwy?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Nameless88 wrote:
My only complaint is that somehow Bane's voice was less audible than Batman's. :cookieshuh:

Also, the score for the movie was like...nonstop, and it was kind of annoying, and actually drowned out a few lines.

Maybe that was just my position in the theater, though, I dunno. Maybe our theater was just screwy?

The score actually stopped completely quite a few times. Specifically during fight scenes, which I thought was really cool. Also, the Batman voice was toned down quite a bit from Dark Knight, with the exception of the end of his last fight with Bane. I really didn't have much of an issue with Bane's voice. There was the occasional line that was a little hard to understand, but I think that was more the effect they put on it than the voice Tom Hardy was doing himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:02 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

I thought it was really mediocre.

Bane was quite good, but I thought his motivation was quite weak. HURRDURR PURE EVIL. At least the Joker had something you could sympathize with, in some twisted way.

And Batman's love interest/betrayal? Completely hackneyed. He loved her for like, 30 seconds and then wanted to save her ass? Weak. She added nothing to the movie other than making me groan.

The middle movie was the best because the Joker *won*. He was Batman's dark mirror. Bane was just some angry chaotic dude. The whole metaphor to the French Revolution and class warefare was very heavy-handed as well.

Anne Hathaway did a superb job. She felt very 'Catwomany'.

The best trilogy of the past 25 years? Sure. But I couldn't help but think the third movie was one giant "umad?".

I'll forget it in two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Say what you will, I didn't mind the shoe horned love story... I would do explicitly sexual things to Marion Cotillard for hours on end... Finishing with the classiest of all facials.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 am 
Web Slinging KSK

I enjoyed the movie but I thought there were a few things that I didn't like.
At the end of the movie, I thought hey bane, "why u no use Venom?" it's a pretty key aspect of the character.
This movie didn't have too much Batman in it, at a certain point I thought "is this still a Batman movie or did they change the reels?" that's kinda crapy.
While this trilogy of batman encaptures the a lot of the essence of Batman, the violent nature of Gotham, the internal struggle of Bruce Wayne/Batman, the darkness of the characters. I don't like Nolans ironclad resistance to even acknowledge the the world outside of Gotham, seriously not even a mention, they couldn't even have the opposing team from Central city or Metropolis? Or had the president be Lex Luthor? And no I don't think that something small like that would've taken away from the movie.
Come on Nolan, Robin? You couldn't have made his real name Tim Drake? Or maybe Richard? Or Jason? Yeah? No....

Anne Hathaway I knew would be a good choice she proved it to me in her opening scene, "No one told me it was unbreakable." her butt was pretty hot on the bike too.
I like Dark Knight the best, Heath ledger killed it, he made me want more Joker after every one of his scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:11 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

is the "robin" thing that big of a deal? I mean, really? For people who only know Batman from movies (a giant portion of the people going to see this film) if at the end he was like "My name is tim" they'd just be like "Soooo? Who gives a fuck." with him saying Robin (and I think most people who know the general batman actually think Robin's name is Robin) they all get to go "Oh shit! Robin"

Not that big of a deal. I've heard it from most people I've talked to though. It is the one that comes up the most.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 pm 
Web Slinging KSK

Bogey wrote:
is the "robin" thing that big of a deal? I mean, really? For people who only know Batman from movies (a giant portion of the people going to see this film) if at the end he was like "My name is tim" they'd just be like "Soooo? Who gives a fuck." with him saying Robin (and I think most people who know the general batman actually think Robin's name is Robin) they all get to go "Oh shit! Robin"

Not that big of a deal. I've heard it from most people I've talked to though. It is the one that comes up the most.

I know why they did it, just as a comic fan it bothers me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:24 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

at the same time I'm not saying people aren't fucking retarded. I know someone who has a few batman tattoos and heard a few of us talking about the Robin thing. He asked "Why would they call him Tim or Dick?" and we responded with "Those guys are Robins. You know, the guys who are Robin." with him saying "Robin's name is Robin."

then we had to explain how Robin was his secret identity and he actually had a regular name. This blew the man's mind. The guy has big Batman tattoos in mutliple places. That blew my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I thought the Robin thing was pretty dumb but not for that reason so much as because the character himself had very little to do with Robin. Robin is sort of defined by being Batman's sidekick; having him become Robin after Batman leaves is a silly way to do things, since in reality he's basically just becoming a second Batman.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Nightwing. Robin becomes Nightwing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:03 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing, who knows what John Blake names himself...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Let's get the comparisons outta the way first. I thought Dark Knight was better. Between the two, I preferred the Avengers. This was however, a seriously good movie.

Random Thoughts:
Anne Hathaway was pretty fucking amazing. She really did well as a woman who was always planning two steps ahead. Although why the hell wasn't she called Catwoman. Yeah I get the Nolan movies are about "realism" and what not but still. They have a headline about a "cat" thief who is a woman. Would it have been so hard to say "Mysterious Cat-woman"? It sounds small but it made me wonder what was so wrong with SOMETHING from the comics.

Bane was...interesting. Definitely kept his big physical prescience and his intelligence. His voice didn't bother me but a few lines were hard to hear.

When Ra's Al Ghul appeared before Bruce I really REALLY hoped Nolan went with the Lazarus Pit. Alas.

Talia being the child totally surprised me. I wondered about the scar but once they said Bane was the kid I just took it. The twist actually surprised me.

The "Robin" thing bothered me a bit. Not because he didn't seem to fit the Robin character and not because it would've been better to name him Dick or Tim. I got bothered because it felt like Nolan saying "This is as close as you'll get to Robin bitches :redv: "

I have no idea why Cillian Murphy was there but his cameo made me be really happy.

Joseph Gordon Levitt was seriously good. I like him more and more as an actor every time I see him. I doubt the supposed Justice League movie will have any sort of connections to the Nolan movies but I kind of want him to play Batman next.

Overall I thought it was a solid ending and a good movie. I think my biggest problem was that it didn't seem to be about anything. Batman Begins was about fear and how it could be used for good or evil. Dark Knight was about chaos vs order and how the Joker pushed Batman to his limits. Rises...well there was stuff about class warfare and revolution but that didn't really tie into anything. It felt like there wasn't a "deeper" meaning to it. It was just about Batman coming back to beat up bad guys. It just felt...hollow. It was good, entertaining, and provided a happy ending for everybody but in the end it didn't seem to have an impact like the others.