neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

illblamesum1else wrote:
Snifit wrote:
I kind of like that Nolan made an ending instead of pulling an Inception and having Alfred smile but not ever showing what he was smiling at.

Could have gone either way. If you're not an idiot, you'd recognize the location from the scene earlier in the movie and I think it'd be safe to assume that if you see him in that place, suddenly smile, and raise his glass to someone... That Bruce is alive. I'd like to think that'd come across pretty clearly, but apparently not since blatantly showing him is still being debated by some people... I think the only reason to really cut over to the other table is to let the audience see that the girl he settled down with was Selena.

I think the debate is happening because A)Inception and B) god damn every scene involving his supposed death and after were horrifically edited

Snifit wrote:
Something I forgot to mention. Why is it that Gordon could figure out Batman is Bruce Wayne by remembering how he helped him as a kid, Blake can figure it out as a kid just because he sees Bruce Wayne isn't really happy, but Selina Kyle can talk to Batman AND Bruce Wayne about their "mutual friend" and can't put two and two together?

Also why the hell would Gordon write a speech telling the truth about Harvey Dent if he's not going to say it? If keeping the secret is so important why would he write it down? Kinda risky right?

Nigga what, it was obvious she knew and the mutual friend thing turned into a dumb inside joke between them

Also Gordon wrote the speech with clear intent to read it but he was hella obviously struggling with working up the nerve

:cookieshuh:

Overall its a messy overblown movie but what it gets right is that it really nails this version of Bruce Wayne's personal journey through the course of three movies and wraps it up in an incredibly fascinating way. Also the revolution thing was totally a red herring probably in response to people bitching about the BATMAN PATRIOT ACT

Blame nails it (sorry I'm going back and responding to things bit by bit because I'm the resident Batman expert fuck you guys). It's also largely about Batman finally becoming a true hero after spending most of his superhero career as a self-destructive psychopath

Oh and the Robin thing was cheesy but if his name was Dick or Tim or whatever that would ruin the twist. It was obvious enough before the thing even came out that he was going to be the successor so you had to have something for the stupid people. Comic fans complaining for comic fan reasons are stupid because the real satisfying thing about being a comic fan with this movie was how Nolan uses the comic mythos against you if you're aware enough of it. Which is really cool.

Also in regards to dumb plot holes and stuff, fuck off it may be full of pretentious drivel but its still a superhero movie

I thought Catwoman was largely boring and kinda pointless; it would've been nice if she wasn't there and more time was spent developing Talia (and Talia's involvement with Bruce throughout the flick) Instead at times when he bounced between the two I felt like I was watching shitty 90's Spider-Man for a minute

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I thought the Robin thing was pretty dumb but not for that reason so much as because the character himself had very little to do with Robin. Robin is sort of defined by being Batman's sidekick; having him become Robin after Batman leaves is a silly way to do things, since in reality he's basically just becoming a second Batman.

Robin is more than just a sidekick, and yeah he's essentially going to become another Batman (though not literally, it's pretty heavily implied he's going to do his own thing, possibly without a mask. Also what do you mean become Robin his name is Robin what are you saying there) but calling him Robin is basically just a fun easter egg and also the whole thing is a big reference to Grant Morrison's Batman Reborn run lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 pm 
The JZA, AKA Stank Digital

Speaking of easter eggs, anyone catch the Killer Croc easter egg?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

"did you see any big crocodiles while you were down there?"

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Blackman! wrote:
"did you see any big crocodiles while you were down there?"

I think that was more of a New York sewer joke but yeah I guess that kinda works too

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 am 
Thwomp
Thwomp

Thought it was pretty bad. Especially compared to the other two.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 am 

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Yes. I understand why it happened in terms of the movie's internal logic. Like, I followed what people were doing and why the characters were doing that. I mean that I don't know why Nolan opted to have the characters doing that be a scene in the movie when it didn't do anything to advance the plot. If you have a scene where everything in the movie is exactly the same after that scene as it was before that scene, you've fucked up.

I'm finally ready to respond to this, and you totally missed the point. That scene was the last straw for John Blake's patience with traditional law enforcement. They spent the whole movie building up Blake to be Batman's successor, both through his tenacity as an idealistic cop, and a guy who sees that more uniforms aren't always the solution to the problem.

When Batman first comes back after the stock exchange heist, Blake is with Foley, and has to listen to all his bullshit about building a bigger legacy than Gordon by bagging Batman. All Foley wants, initially, is fame and Gordon's job. Obviously, Blake doesn't care about that shit. Then you have the scene when Blake goes to interrogate the cement truck guy and ends up killing both of his leads. His Batman-like aversion to firearms is created. Then you have his reaction to Bane's speech with Gordon in his apartment, which pretty much ruins his opinion of Gordon, who was the hero police commissioner and his mentor.

Then, finally, you have the bridge scene, where Blake is trying to negotiate with the Joey Quinn. The guy won't hear a word of it, even when Blake is screaming at him that the bomb is gonna blow anyway, and it's time to save as many innocent kids as possible, the guy shoots at him, and then finally blows the section of the bridge. Not only does he destroy one of only 2 ways out of the city, but he just killed the hopes of a busload of orphans. Even if they had gotten across, Blake was operating under the idea that the bomb was gonna go off, and he would've rather had the kids die with hope than sit quietly on the bus praying and waiting for death. Seeing that the other cops (or whatever they were, national guard or whatever) couldn't or wouldn't do the right thing, he finally lost it. He chucked his badge off the bridge, refused to come back to the force after the city was saved, and eventually became the new Batman, presumably giving him a more satisfying career in criminal justice.

tl;dr: The bridge scene advanced the plot by being one more reason for John Blake to become disillusioned with traditional police.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 pm 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-th ... t-rises/4/
A

Agreed, and one of the things that drove me nuts was the wall street hacking scene. That shit is so regulated, that nothing like that could EVER occur. Ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Fallout wrote:
http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-the-dark-knight-rises/4/
A

Agreed, and one of the things that drove me nuts was the wall street hacking scene. That shit is so regulated, that nothing like that could EVER occur. Ever.

One could argue that in this universe it's not as heavily regulated, given how corrupt the city has been in the past. However, that'd be a much stronger argument had these movies somehow shown what the rest of the world outside of this one city was. Without that, and leaving the viewer to assume the rest of the world is just like it is in real life... Then yes, that shit would have been corrected in minutes. While it didn't bother me much and I can look past it, I can totally see how this would take someone out of the movie.

Some good points in that article, some nitpicking, I believe. No matter how realistic the world may be, there's still got to be SOME suspension of disbelief when you go see a movie. Some of these point are right though, specifically the firebat. As cool as it looked as a viewer, and maybe even as a citizen of Gotham, what a waste of time when you've only got maybe a few hours. The fact that no one found The Bat on a rooftop bothered me a bit too. Both of these were issues for me.

I thought Blake figuring out who Batman was was believable. They came from very similar backgrounds, and Blake probably felt that if someone hadn't already done so, he'd do something similar to what Batman was doing. From there, he just looked for someone who he felt seemed to have a similar background, and therefore assumed they had a similar mindset. Observing similar behavior and emotion in Bruce Wayne and realizing their similar stories, I have no problem that he jumped to that conclusion. Not an issue.

Also, at what point in Batman Begins was it established that Ras only figured out Bruce Wayne was Batman right before burning his house down? That argument felt like they were LOOKING for flaws. I assumed Ras figured out who he was in the months between Bruce's training and Ras' appearing in Gotham. I don't see why it's hard to believe that during that long amount of time, he couldn't have contacted Thalia, or at least surviving members of the League of Shadows. Or members of the League that survived Batman Begins could have found Thalia. If the whole League knew, word of his identity didn't HAVE to come to Thalia straight from Liam Neeson. On top of that, not much is known about Bane between getting out of the prison and getting to Gotham. We don't know if he may have found out otherwise who Batman really is. Not an issue for me.

We also don't know just how long Bane, or at least his men, were tunneling under Gotham. Not impossible to think he may have stumbled across the foundations of Applied Sciences. Or at the very least, he could greatly narrow down where to look if he had already known Batman's identity. Plausible, but unlikely that he knew for sure he was in the right place.

I also think the argument about how stupid the Gotham police is is kind of one of the points of the movie, and cements Blake's view on how the city's law enforcement is run.

I remember reading somewhere that the prison is in Mexico, which would make it a LITTLE easier to get back to Gotham, timewise, as well as Bane taking him there and visiting. Too vague on location to really decide. But getting back in to the city itself is still an issue. It's possible he just walked right in, knowing that no regular citizen had the trigger like everyone else stupidly thought. Batman could easily take out whoever was guarding whichever bridge he chose to cross. Would have ruined his return if they actually SHOWED him doing that, I think.not an issue for me. The prison itself requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. Who feeds them? Is the guy with the rope the only guard? Why was the rope that Bruce tosses down even at the top of the hole? That last point is what bothers me most. I can buy a prison that you have to climb out to escape. But doesn't giving the first person to do so the ability to free literally everyone else kind of defeat the whole purpose of having to climb?I dont buy it.

As for background checks, I was under the impression that Selina's background check either brought up one of her many aliases, or she was never employed directly by Bruce or Alfred and rather a catering company, where botching a check seems much more likely. Believable.The same could easily go for Miranda, who I will admit until the twist was really just shoehorned into the movie. They could have had the betrayal keep much of the same impact had it just been someone Bruce trusted with his company turning on him, leaving out the romantic subplot entirely. Would have only cut maybe 5 minutes from the movie. This is by far my largest complaint.

I personally had no problem with Alfred quitting. I didn't think the dialogue was bad at all, and I really thought it was one of the more powerful scenes in the movie. Bruce's actions left Alfred broken and distraught, and as a result one of the few people he could trust with his life walks out on him. Not only not a problem for me, but actually one of my favorite parts of the movie. This forces Bruce to finish his journey alone.

As for the broken back thing, did they ever say it was a fractured vertebrae? I assumed since it was healed by straightening the spine and punching it, that it was merely dislocated and pushed back into place. Still a dangerous fucking way to fix it, and risk permanent paralysis... But he was desperate enough to risk that. However, if it was actually a broken bone... yeah, that makes no sense. Hell, relocating a dislocated vertebrae doesn't make much sense either.I find issue with this, but don't find it hard to shrug off. As for the limp, he clearly has to get the suit after he gets back. Nothing is stopping him from getting that brace as well.

I don't see how they're complaining that the ending was a lot to absorb. I thought it was pretty damn straight forward. Why is this an issue to anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am 

Batman and Talia are romantically involved in the comics, so there.

Gotham is a big city with plenty of tall buildings. Just because the city is in a state of anarchy doesn't mean someone is gonna find their way up to every rooftop, so the Bat could stay hidden.

Bane is a genius, and could easily deduce that there's an arsenal of Batstuff at Bruce Wayne's R&D department. After that, some simple tunnel plans and he can find his way there. Some hard work and elbow grease and he can break in.

Putting the flaming bat logo on the bridge was badass. Deal with it.

:coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Are people really having trouble accepting the fact that fucking Batman sneaked into a heavily guarded city? Seriously? Like, that stupidity alone renders the rest of that article invalid simply because of how unrelentingly dumb that is.

I've read comics in which Batman sneaks into the goddamn Pentagon for chrissakes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:49 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
Are people really having trouble accepting the fact that fucking Batman sneaked into a heavily guarded city? Seriously? Like, that stupidity alone renders the rest of that article invalid simply because of how unrelentingly dumb that is.

I've read comics in which Batman sneaks into the goddamn Pentagon for chrissakes

Pretty much this.

Also Stank, no one ever said the burning bat WASN'T badass. Just questioning its practicality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:
TheBatman wrote:

Pretty much this.

Also Stank, no one ever said the burning bat WASN'T badass. Just questioning its practicality.

Questioning the practicality of the burning bat symbol? He did it as a big fuck you/call out to Bane. Who cares about the time wasted.... Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think he is? He's the goddamn Batman.

Also, really hope the soundtrack CD for the movie is the stuff from the actual movie, because this might be the first soundtrack I've actually bought from a movie since like...fucking Pokemon The First Movie. Yeah, I bought it, I was like 12 when it came out, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:38 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

my biggest problem would be continuity errors that were noticeable. The first time Bats comes back at the stock exchange it's daylight and the stock exchange is open, then in the motorcycle ride under the tunnel it becomes pitch black night, but Gordon is watching the whole thing in the hospital (live) during the day.

I still highly enjoyed myself and won't stop me from watching it a few times and enjoying the trilogy as a whole.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am 

Blackman! wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:
TheBatman wrote:

Pretty much this.

Questioning the practicality of the burning bat symbol? He did it as a big fuck you/call out to Bane. Who cares about the time wasted.... Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think he is? He's the goddamn Batman.

THIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:40 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

My biggest issue was the count down timer thing. I've seen it in way too many movies now and I think its a cheap plot device with out tweaking it. I groan every time I see a zoom in of a digital clock count down timer. Its my biggest complaint other than Bane not having venom. The other criticisms I had have been pointed out already.

Still a great movie and great end to the series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:26 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Guys clearly Alfred was hallucinating at the end. Bruce Wayne is definitely dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

I don't take time to analyze movies like this, mostly because I WAS TOO BUSY WATCHING THE FUCKING BATMAN!

But I did have one major problem... 5 months to go from broken back with a misplaced vertebra to fully healed and capable of climbing out of that fucking pit when the only access to medicine of any kind is some former doctor using a flat-palmed punch and a rope?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 am 
KSK Mastermind

dont forget, he also had as limp for 8 years... so 8 years with a limp that is impossible to heal. Major back surgery, ezpz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Crashman wrote:
dont forget, he also had as limp for 8 years... so 8 years with a limp that is impossible to heal. Major back surgery, ezpz

he had that fancy schmancy knee brace for the limp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

I think you're all scrutinizing the wrong things in this movie.

The important thing to note is that he is THE FUCKING BATMAN.

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:27 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

In the Nightfall story Bruce Wayne fights a guy while he's in a wheelchair and later heals his back with badass martial arts training so yeah fuck plausibility with Batman in the context of physical limitations

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

will power is Batman's super power.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:00 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

S1eepy wrote:
will power is Batman's super power.

Naw, will power is Green Lantern's thing. Batman is more of a hardcore survivalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 am 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I always thought it was determination and the use of fear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:07 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

and here I thought it was being a billionaire with too much time on his hands and anger/psychological issues

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next