neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Person of Interest
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:31 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

Can I get a Hoooooooooo! for the machine? Anyone? This is the most awesome genre show on television right now. No contest. And after the Season 2 finale I am convinced that what we are watching unfold might be the best SciFi show of the freaking DECADE!

Wanna talk about it? If so, spoilers will be had I guess.

Post subject: Re: Person of Interest
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

you seeded some high hopes in me. i'm on s1e4 atm. so far it reminds me more of burn notice than anything scifi, but i can see some areas where it takes a dive into some newer territories. i'll watch more after work.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm 

Just keep on watching. It might be decent to good right now but it's going to build an build. The SciFi will come, trust me. You will love, nay, love it like a haberdashed Humpmunculus! I can say no more lest I spoil something for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:33 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:D

i had a feeling.

i don't take your recommendations lightly.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 am 

As you should. I'm a bitch to please.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

This might be on my list of shows to watch. I already watch a lot of TV, but 30 Rock ended, The Office just ended, Breaking Bad and Dexter both end this summer.... Should free up a decent amount of time as far as television goes. This, Castle, The Following, and Warehouse 13 are all on my list.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

illblamesum1else wrote:
This might be on my list of shows to watch. I already watch a lot of TV, but 30 Rock ended, The Office just ended, Breaking Bad and Dexter both end this summer.... Should free up a decent amount of time as far as television goes. This, Castle, The Following, and Warehouse 13 are all on my list.

The Following was pretty good, Warehouse 13 has a rough few first episodes, Season 2 and onwards are pretty great.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

just finished season 1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am 

S1eepy wrote:
just finished season 1

That was quick. Whaddaya think? See where it is going with the machine and all? And isn't Root just the cutest little psychopath ever?

I really love how they are starting to handle the machine as a character in it's own right. If you didn't already, start paying close attention to the machine PoV shots (the surveillance footage).

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
S1eepy wrote:
just finished season 1

That was quick. Whaddaya think? See where it is going with the machine and all? And isn't Root just the cutest little psychopath ever?

I really love how they are starting to handle the machine as a character in it's own right. If you didn't already, start paying close attention to the machine PoV shots (the surveillance footage).

i'm liking it a lot. there's a lot of brilliant things going on. the dialogue repeats it's self a little too much, but it's a broadcast show so it doesn't really surprise me. not exactly infinite attention spans they're airing it to. also given the release schedule. most people probably aren't pounding through about ten episodes a day.

i've been paying a bit of attention to the cam shots, but i'll look closer when they come up.

yeah. i see the direction it's headed. very rich philosophical grounds are being covered in an intelligent way. which is absolutely shocking to see in a broadcast show. but probably the most brilliant thing is the title. it totally puts out a misrepresented preconception as to the nature of the show. they make it sound like a typical cop drama, which are popular. i'd have probably skipped right over it if you hadn't brought it up. but i bet it caught the attention of the NCIS/CSI crowd.

root and finch are fantastic, but it constantly amuses me how john is 50% batman and 50% steven seagall.

i should be caught up by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 am 

It also has a surprising amount of dry wit. I am furthermore very surprised by how they took Fuscoe from a sniveling bad cop to one of my favourite characters. You know, a real arc. Progression! Elias is cool too.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

on 2e12 now.

holy shit. mr.nolan has outdone himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 am 

Yeah, the little Fuscoe subplot in that one had me in stitches! But wait until Shaw shows up a couple of episodes down the line.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:18 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I remember when the show came out I found a summary for it, the first sentence was "You are being watched. The government has a secret system, a machine that spies on you every hour of every day." and I didn't read further than that, but if you two seem so keen on it I might have to check it out as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 am 

Neon Jackal wrote:
I remember when the show came out I found a summary for it, the first sentence was "You are being watched. The government has a secret system, a machine that spies on you every hour of every day." and I didn't read further than that, but if you two seem so keen on it I might have to check it out as well.

Holy shit yes. At first glance this introductory sentence may sound like a Glenn Beck fever dream, but it's actually... well, it's basically Batman with Mobsters and Conspiracies and without the cape but still with a lot of hand to hand combat and scowling and a little bit of funny and some really swell and heavy SciFi elements that are slowly creeping in. Some of the episodes are among the best television I've seen in forever.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

well. now i can move on to other things until fall.

i want to say more. but spoiler's tend not to work very well.

See?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:15 am 

Now that Carter
[Reveal] Spoiler:
is dead,
Root
[Reveal] Spoiler:
is apparently with the gang
and Elias
[Reveal] Spoiler:
had god damn fucking
Simmons
[Reveal] Spoiler:
garotted,
what's next? Will the Machine
[Reveal] Spoiler:
be more proactive
? What will
[Reveal] Spoiler:
their version of Anonymous
do? Will Elias
[Reveal] Spoiler:
rise again
? What about the russians? And don't forget the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
shadowy government matron that's been hinted at.
I don't know why but I have this feeling that somwhere down the line, the machine
[Reveal] Spoiler:
will develop more than one personality. Maybe Anon manages to steal some code and build their own nefarious Machine?
Speculation abounds people!

Also, when the hell did Lionel get so damn awesome? That dude went through a wonderful character arc up until now. The moment he bet the crap out of Simmons, with a cast and broken fingers no less, had me weeping for joy.

Also, that face! Image

:coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

just caught back up. holy hell. the last three eps were great. <3 walter. i wish he'd had a longer role.

i know i haven't said much, but that's because i know what the writers are doing. well, not the specific details, but the general themes. Samaritan will be male.

which is an obvious conclusion. however, this is part of what i got all excited about with earlier speculations. i knew they were going to introduce a second machine after the first was referred to as a her by root. this show hits on an amazing number of esoteric topics. one of them being archetypes. the machines are representative of the 'divine' masculine and feminine. destroyer and creator.

notice how certain characters get frequent object associations? most recently: hammer and scalpel. though it goes all the way back to the beginning. reese says it sarcastically, but lionel is indeed a big teddy bear. even finch. sure he uses bird names, but what is it about a finch that fits him? embodying the idea of something is a sort of practice. it's a bit like acting. but it's something mostly everybody does if they are aware of it or not. it's what catalyzes the formation of media related sub-culture. there are ideas that once we form a connection with them: they can alter course of action or expression. and having control over that is what a number of teachings try to get across. so as it would translate into a business sense: being able to switch negation strategies from scalpel to shield to hammer at the bat of an eye. the body has a way of auto-piloting it's self to do the things it already knows how to do. and sometimes altering the archetypical embodiment of your internal state can be far more efficient than any alterations made to planning. i don't think it's something that will take center stage, but it's nice to see a bit of it hinted at.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:51 am 

That scene in the mid season premiere, where the Machine talked to Root in high pitched morse code? They actually did that! I didn't hear it but then again, I'm an old fart. Somebody on reddit went ahead and translated it:

Control: "You say the machine looks out for you? Then why are you in this cell, why has it let this happen? This friend that you love so much? It's abandoned you.."
Machine: SORRY.
<break>
Machine (During dialog):
INCREASED PERSPIRATION. HEART RATE AND BREATHING ELEVATED. INDICATIVE OF FEAR.
Root: "She's been telling me about you... You're scared of me."
2 OCLOCK. 2007 ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT TORN. SURGICAL REPAIR PARTIAL SUCCESS. 2010 PHYSICAL THERAPY DISCONTINUED AGAINST DOCTORS ADVICE.
Root: "All these guards watching... by the way, that one has a bum knee."
And right as she jumps on Control:
8 OCLOCK.

Seriously, what other show would go to such lenghs?

With all those spoiler blocks, it looks like a redacted document. Even our discussion keeps in tone with the show.

And Shaw is so awesome, even Hersh can't help but care a bit for her. That "Are they treating you right?" line was nice :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i think Hersh might want a job later.

i couldn't notice the noise, but i streamed it, and also have hearing damage from my mom's piece of shit birds growing up. her hearing is totally fucked from them.
unspoilered for everyone else: if you have birds in your house, especially parrots; if you can't place them in their own room: get rid of them. my mom is a retarded person and keeps hers in the living room. about 1/5th of her hearing range is shot now and she has several different tones of tinnitus going on. moreover: shelters don't take birds. taking an animal into your home that has evolved a call that can carry for miles is an amazingly stupid thing to do. so if a relative asks you to take one: tell them you value your hearing too much. that if you were to take it you'd let it out the window right away. birds are testy and needy: most of them partner and will only like one person or animal at a time and require frequent socialization. taking proper care of one is damn near a full time job. and they live for fucking ever. birds = the worst pets unless you live alone, give it it's own space, and have the time to socialize with it frequently.

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/audio/nyregion/20060610_RINGTONE.mp3
i can still hear that though. so idk. could have been sound quality of what i was watching it over.
that they actually did it though: that's really fucking cool. the attention to detail is astounding. if i saw the boxed sets for sale: this would be the only series i'd consider buying. i think you could watch it 4-5 times and still pick out new things. it's not often a television series raises the bar, and it could have something to do with just how base and formulaic the bulk of television and media has become. i haven't watched any game of thrones since i started watching person of interest. it's leagues better than any other aired series i've seen save for maybe star trek next generation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:57 am 

Maybe also because they are quite current? I liked their stab against Prism or that the last episode was based very much on the Silk Road network.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

i have sever seen such depth of character explored in anything aired. a room full of antagonists is much more interesting when none of them are wrong. the witcher is the only other thing i've seen go as deep into what shapes and motivates a person. so many things rolled into one. it's dark tower good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

S4E11: NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

/Sad Vader