neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I could have sworn I made one of these already, but apparently not.

I just finished watching the season 7 finale. Already counting down the days to the Anniversary Special, featuring the return of my personal favorite Doctor, David Tennant. I figured there should be a topic about this show as I'm sure at least some of you watch it. But just in case not everyone is caught up, please use spoiler tags in discussions.

In general, 10th Doctor is my favorite. As for companions, I'd have to go with Amy and Rory. I personally have not seen too much of the old series so most of my opinions about this series all comes from 2005 onward, but what little I have seen from classic Doctor Who was nearly all Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor.

Now a little more specific about the most recent happenings... I love what they did with Clara. For most of her time on the show, I felt like it was something they were going to drag on forever and feared it would get stale. But I'm glad I was wrong there, and I thought what they did was really fucking interesting. On top of that, JOHN FUCKING HURT. WHAT. :cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 am 
NESkimo International Affairs moderator

I'm not shure about the Hurt... there's been an incarnation in between? During the Time War? Has this something to do with the Valeyard? I never saw the old serial but that one appeared in 1983 and was some sort of thing that will happen between the 12th and final incarnation? So it will be Smith vs. the Hurt or will the Hurt be the next proper Doctor? I have confuse! :cookieshuh:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 am 
Goomba
Goomba

i think i heard somewhere that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
john hurt is actually the 9th doctor, and he's the one that fought in the time war and destroyed the daleks and time lords.
not sure if that's true but if so, that would be crazy. either way, john hurt.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 am 

SelfishMan wrote:
i think i heard somewhere that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
john hurt is actually the 9th doctor, and he's the one that fought in the time war and destroyed the daleks and time lords.
not sure if that's true but if so, that would be crazy. either way, john hurt.

That's what I'm getting too, especially from the way he was introduced. The one who broke the promise. Kinda like a villian.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

it would make sense. either way, i'm just excited to see john hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

A bit of news confirmed today....

Matt Smith is leaving the show at the end of this year. He will regenerate in this year's Christmas Special.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:12 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

And more news I am sure everyone already knows, but 12th Doctor will be Peter Capaldi. Also, the name of the 50th is "The Day of the Doctor". This follows The Name of the Doctor. I wonder if the Christmas special will follow this convention?

So, any theories on how 10 will come back? Will it be Meta Crisis Doctor? Or a past time lord version of 10? I am actually hoping for the Meta Crisis Doctor. I would like to see the story of 10 pushed a bit further, figure out how he copes as half human and etc.

I am not sure if its confirmed or not, but I want this to address the Time War. I am really tired of knowing next to nothing about it and having the vaguest of information given every now and then. I'd personally, and I know I might be alone on this'll would like to see a redemption of the Time Lords. Or at least a couple of them. Pretty sure that wont happen, but this lonely god thing is starting to get old to me.

One thing I hope they DON'T bring back, or at least let the Doctor change into, is the Valeyard. I think he can't happen with the Time Lords being all time locked in the first place, but I think of him as completely averted because he altered this Doctor's timeline and fucked over his chance at existence.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 am 
Goomba
Goomba

my friend sent me this fantastic reddit post where they're pointing out things here and there that hint that the doctor might be the devil. strange fan theory? probably.

http://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comme ... r_and_the/

either way it's an interesting read, which leads to this point the author makes in the article. john hurt's character can be a past version of himself before he became the doctor. the theory is that he did something so terrible that he regenerated, took on the title of the doctor and decided he would dedicate himself to good. it's pretty intriguing and seems like it would make a lot of sense. i feel like the valeyard theory might be a bit too confusing for people who have only seen eccelston onward, so i'm not sure if they'd go there.

honestly though, moffat is moffat and he'll probably come up with something no one was expecting. i guess we'll find out soon enough... but it's fun as hell to speculate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:22 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

So I'm pretty sure this is a rather big deal to Dr Who fans?

100 missing doctor who episodes found

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:23 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

Bogey wrote:
So I'm pretty sure this is a rather big deal to Dr Who fans?

100 missing doctor who episodes found

i THINK i might have heard about that, but i could be thinking of something else. i heard someone had old vhs tapes of lost episodes that the person recorded off tv when they aired. either way, it's fucking awesome. i doubt they'll ever recover all the lost episodes but if they get close a put out a box set of all the classic doctor who episodes i'd definitely look into it. while they're not quite up to par with what our generation is used to with doctor who, it's still pretty cool to see the original episodes and doctors doing their thing.

EDIT: oh wow, just found about what you were talking about. they were in ethiopia, that's pretty insane. all first and second doctor episodes which really interest me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:41 pm 
Nameless NESkomic Artist

Shit, man, that explains a lot, doesn't it?

ExPostFacto wrote:
For someone who uses the ":3" emoticon way too much you're a scary motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

The 50th is TOMORROW! However, I will be seeing it on Monday in 3D while high as a fucking kite. This is going to be FUUUN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 am 

So, what did everybody think? I myself was, as it's been with all specials written by Moffat, a little underwhelmed. It wasn't bad but again, the buildup was better than the payoff. Does anybody know if Damon Lindelof does consulting for the BBC?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:28 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

It was fun, which was all I was expecting

Nerds have been hyping it up way too much but I knew better

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

I still kind of wish they got Eccleston to show up. Like, aside from stock footage. But other than that, I thought it was fantastic.

Favorite Facebook comment about it: "Jesus, even Gallifrey came back before Sherlock..."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:46 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

I wanted more of the Time War. Like, I wanted more Daleks and I want to know about the things the Doctor mentioned in The End of Time. Like the mysterious "Nightmare Child" and the "Could've Been King". Its the one time I would like to see Doctor Who be very actiony. Only time. Ever. Because thats what the Time War was... The Doctor called it "Hell". I wish I saw more "hell" on screen. Yeah, we saw Gallifrey fall and crumble and you got a sense of the hell they were going through, but I don't think it was conveyed that well. Also, the part where Ten was all like "Bad Wolf, wut?!" and then immediately dropped it was annoying. Seriously annoying.

However, I was still very pleased with it. It was an excellent Doctor Who episode. I just wish it went a bit outside of its comfort zone and expanded more on various things. Or had another half hour to 40 minutes to do more stuff with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:30 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

Nah, all of that stuff is ambiguous on purpose, because using your imagination based on what little has been provided is supposed to be much scarier than anything they'd come up with to show on-screen

If they were like HEY HERE'S ALL THESE HORRIBLE THINGS WE TALKED ABOUT it'd be a bunch of disappointing Star Wars-y bullshit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
Nah, all of that stuff is ambiguous on purpose, because using your imagination based on what little has been provided is supposed to be much scarier than anything they'd come up with to show on-screen

If they were like HEY HERE'S ALL THESE HORRIBLE THINGS WE TALKED ABOUT it'd be a bunch of disappointing Star Wars-y bullshit

this, generally. it also helps to conceal areas you have not thought of yet. gaps in the lore that haven't been written yet. Lost went how many seasons based on that? all so some brilliant son of a bitch could win The Game once and for all. we all lost. party was over after that. you'd have to top a 6-year and multimillion dollar investment broadcast to quite a few million television sets. maybe if someone runs as an independent candidate under The Game party, and actually becomes elected. then. . . maybe. but during your inauguration speech you'd have to take a moment, apologize if people aren't privy to the joke, and inform the audience that they all just lost, and point to THE GAME. and you'd have to etch it into the moon to top that.

but the point is: it's a method that works well and gets you far. i for one know damn well my imagination is way scarier than any writer. because it is me; i know myself. what is terrifying to me are things seldom considered. some people don't like spiders. others snakes. you get the picture.

though: there is something to say for an exceptionally well written Beast. those are the ones that give us something new to be terrified of.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 am 

All the stuff Sanct mentioned: I'm willing to bet that Russel T. Davies just pulled it out of his ass and now they don't know what to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:20 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheGuyFromAustria wrote:
All the stuff Sanct mentioned: I'm willing to bet that Russel T. Davies just pulled it out of his ass and now they don't know what to do with it.

He pulled all that out of his ass but all we ever actually got from him were episodes about Daleks and Cybermen. Nothing against those villains, but the Eccleston/Tennant years relied WAY too heavily on them. The best episodes to come out of those seasons that didn't feature those villains, in my opinion at least, seem to have all been written by Moffat... The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, The Girl In the Fireplace, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead... All Moffat. The only exceptions I think, as far as fantastic non-Moffat episodes go, are Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, and Human Nature/Family of the Blood, but even then, not written by Davies. His episodes weren't ALL terrible, but he DID give us "Love and Monsters" which, in my opinion, is the only BAD episode since the series rebooted with the 9th doctor.... So.... :coookieesssss:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:32 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

I think Eccelston is the most interesting Doctor tho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

TheBatman wrote:
I think Eccelston is the most interesting Doctor tho

I agree. Tennant is my personal favorite, but I think that had a lot to do with the overall quality of the show around him improving during his tenure. As far as personality and character, Eccelston was the most interesting, and I still kind of wish he stuck around longer. There was a lot there that we never got to see, I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 pm 
The Supreme High Lord of the Sniff

I think Eccelston is my favorite Doctor. I do like Tennant and Capaldi had a great first season. His second was...hit and miss to me but I think that's mostly due to Moffat and not Capaldi. Capaldi is great. But overall, I REALLY like Eccleston.