neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WRESTLETHREAD
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

I'm bored and angry about wrasslin' so here's a thread

The new people's champ is out for who knows how long, another looks-promising-then-nosedives-into-gimmicky-bullshit Cena feud is booked worse every week and while the Shield can make anything look good, all we're getting at the next PPV are either rematches or rematches of rematches or shit nobody cares about except for god king of comedy heels Bad News Barrett who wasn't even on TV Monday

WrestleMania is looking more and more like the desperate fluke it was and everything is looking terrible for the time being, at least until Lesnar comes back and does something awesome

There are at least two other dumb marks here besides myself so here is discussionplace for wrestletalk

Post subject: Re: WRESTLETHREAD
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Daniel Bryan was in a weird situation when he came back. They wanted to go the Evolution vs. Shield route and that meant keeping Batista and Orton away from their rematch (probably, trying to save that for Summerslam...or for Lesnar to take it from them at Summerslam). Yet, the Authority can't just leave him alone. He has the fight them the entire time. Kane is a great choice. Kane is probably the most valuable guy in the WWE and the majority of people will never realize that until he is gone and we no longer have him around.

Kane is the only guy who can be given any story, no matter how dumb, and the fans still respect him AND believe he can instantly be a main event player. They do this with Big Show, but even the announcers mention his crying or diaper wearing here and there. JBL or Cole never say "Remember when Triple H said Kane was a necrophiliac?" Kane will make a joke about it during his ha-ha good guy times and everyone is cool with it. The guy, constantly, stays around and is respected by fans even during the dumbest storylines in the company (which he seems to get once a year). Hell, they even just went with "whenever he puts on his mask he becomes the unstoppable "Demon"...and also gets a bit rape-y about women." And we all aren't really too pissed about it. Even if you think "it's dumb" your next thought it usually "eh, it's Kane". He, also, delivers really solid matches and always has no problem making people look good. He's a company guy who doesn't care about anything other than doing what the company asks. Thus, whenever they need to establish someone, Kane is usually a go-to feud. Perfect place for the Daniel Bryan reign to get a few quality wins before moving into serious territory.

That being said, I totally understand why Brie is with Daniel all the time. They're married, and when he returned after Wrestlemania, she needed to be by him before the beatdown. It was, probably, one of the very few ways he could make it through the segment without breaking down into tears. Once that was done, you've put them together on television and it creates a minor consistency issue to not have her, more or less, turn into a manager for him.

Kane, being a demon, would also likely want to ruin everything for Bryan, including pulling his wife down to hell (which is located under WWE rings) and (.....raping?) her. (Note: I only assume rape because Kane has a history of sexual assault against women)

the worst part is Daniel Bryan just had the biggest high of his life followed by tons of lows that are tragic:
Wins main event at Wrestlemania XXX
Gets Married the next week
biggest fan (and someone he became close with) 7-year old Connor dies 5 days later
father dies 2 hours before Raw (He still goes out on Raw and performs...the part where Kane "destroys" him)
Comes back and has a good match with Kane at Extreme Rules
Fractured Neck (requiring surgery)

That is a hell of a 5 week span for anyone.

The biggest plus side to this is, if he recovers properly and returns, he could come back as #30 in the Royal Rumble. It would be a huge reaction. If they know it is happening, they should even book the Royal Rumble in Seattle.

=-=-=-=-=

I don't think the creative team in the WWE know how to treat Bray Wyatt. Normally, I think they have him figured out. The problem is: balance. They have to make Bray Wyatt look very, very strong. He even may win in the end (seriously, there is no reason he shouldn't win at Payback). But John Cena can't come off as weak. This is purely WWE's problem they've caused over the last 6 years by not developing a huge upper-midcard so that Cena wouldn't have to be Superman. Their fault. This is the situations they've brought with that problem.

I think it is a totally fine story to say that Cena is, more or less, unstoppable unless you can break away his spirit. It really does make sense. Cena has fought tougher men. Cena has fought in hostile, hostile territory. Even at the worst moments, Cena still had people who believed in him: The kids (Sing with me children!).

It is here where the WWE creative staff failed. The kids in black robes, around the ring, singing should've been the end of it. Cena should've been so shaken that the end of Extreme Rules wasn't as corny or bad. He should have been battling himself, not Bray Wyatt, in that cage. Knock the guy down, begin to climb, stop, look at Bray (Who is maybe just on his knees watching Cena letting him have a free shot), and then Cena comes back into the ring to continue beating Bray up. Bray should've broken his spirit. Cena becomes monsterous. Then, afterward, Cena has to confront what he did in the cage. So he goes after Bray to try to destroy his message with violence (or something).

They went a different way, and it was a bit corny. They don't know how to handle Cena "looking weak". It is a creative problem.

=-=-=-=

Shield vs. Evolution makes pure sense. No matter who won the other wouldn't let it die. The idea that Evolution will make sure Roman Reigns won't wrestle again is interesting. They've laid out their entire plan on Monday, and the match at Payback, should be interesting. There is more talk of War Games more than ever. I hope we see it.

=-=-=-=-

Wrestlemania was the show that said "Hey, look at this next generation!" It was capped off with them crowning the new "guy" who might just take John Cena's place. Unfortunately, he is out for a bit with a neck injury. Wrestlemania showed these guys off....I think their plan has been to use the next few pay-per-views to solidify every single one of them. Win the overall fight with Kane, Evolution, and John Cena. Show that these guys are officially on that level. There have just been some hiccups in the way.

On the plus side: More random people are getting television time, character development (Alicia Fox, say what?), the NXT influx is coming (Sami Zayn is right down the road), and it really feels their understanding that they can do 3 shows a week where every person on the roster has a character and a bit of a storyline.

Creatively: the WWE has some of the potholes it has had for awhile.
in-ring wise: The Triple H era of running the company looks pretty damn great. Everybody has a character, there are some of the best in ring guys all working against each other at great levels, the women are being treated equally (note: Sara Del Ray training the majority of them has improved their ring work tenfold)

there is a ton of good here. The creative issues do need to be looked at, though. Great in-ring product.

Sorry, I wrote a novel over everything.

Opinion on what they should do with the championship:
Have Batista vs. Orton (so their rematch clauses are taken care of). Lesnar comes back (Summerslam?) and defeats one of them. Then he holds the belt until Bryan returns (Royal Rumble) to set up Lesnar/Bryan Wrestlemania XXXI.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 am 
In-House Sax Machine

I don't watch Wrestling, at all.

I just came to say you guys are writing more about Wrestling than the average student writes about Shakespeare

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
I don't watch Wrestling, at all.

I just came to say you guys are writing more about Wrestling than the average student writes about Shakespeare

It is the 21st century equivalent. Hell, South Park did an entire episode giving it credit for that exact thought process.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 am 
VAN DAMMAGE

I agree that at this point Lesnar needs to take the belt because other than Cena there is nobody kayfabe credible enough to have it right now. The only top heels left are pretty much jobbers at this point; that Kane bullshit was fun but a hard pill to swallow because he spent most of the overlong Bryan push losing every match he was in

My fantasy booking is that Lesnar takes the straps from whoever at a PPV, then throws those pieces of shit on the ground the following RAW and like spits on 'em or something for even more ridiculous heat going into WrestleMania, then that frees up the titles so they can kinda reboot things with a tournament or something

They were doing a great job making Bray look strong until that cage match when suddenly he and his buddies were terrible and Cena no-sold his loss

NXT stuff is great, but of course Paige has been sidelined for that fucking stupid Total Divas bullshit

God, SmackDown was so bad. Bunch of squash matches that make no sense, Damien Sandow's career is in shambles for literally no reason, Dolph Ziggler is getting thrown around, nothing in the midcard makes sense, everything is terrible etc etc

You're right about the wrestling tho, has been almost consistently solid except for when Batista is wrestling and they book idiot squash matches

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:40 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

there is a big problem with all of this new talent that has come in (and will be coming in due to NXT) for some people.

Some people have to be lost in the shuffle. There are just too many people. I think Dolph is amazing. He truly is great. He has been there for 8 years and had tons of concussions, one more could end it for him. With all the new blood and everything, sadly, I think his chances at being on the top are done.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:33 am 
KSK Mastermind

Im just curious about the Batista hate in general. I mean, he is by no means a favorite of mine to watch, however in the comparison between him and Lesner I find it interesting.

They both came back around the same time. Batista has fought in the ring almost every week since. Lesner never once had a match on RAW if i remember correctly. He might come out and toss Mark Henry around, but thats it. Then he gets in wrestlemania and beats Taker. Not saying Taker shouldnt have lost the streak, but not to that guy. Then Lesner all but vanished. Batista however is still working. Just weird if you ask me. I don't like Lesner, especially since he seems to just show up and fight once then leave for a while.

I am getting caught up on Raw this morning.

I still love the Wyatts. I dont really GET the Cena stuff because i didnt watch when he was big. I was never a fan of Cena, so while i dont mind all the boos, but i just wonder why. He seems like a typical "fan favorite".

Triple H is still good at being a bad guy. I've always loved him as a villain. Kane putting the mask on is kinda neat. I did kinda like him with the suit and looking goofy, but the demon being back is fun too.

LOVE watching Cesaro, and I think i really dig Heyman being his manager.

I don't care much for JBL as a commentator, but sometimes I feel like he is channeling Vince when he was a commentator, just not in a good way i guess.

Also, I love Shield, especially Roman Reigns.

Not sold on the big russian dude yet though. I mean, sure he looks tough and stuff, but he is a little boring to watch.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Lesnar is a part-timer, a lot like Taker. His contract is rly good, gets mad money and only shows up for a few PPVs and WrestleMania

Lesnar was p much the best person to beat the streak when you put everything together. Taker was a big part-time babyface, Lesnar is the big part-time heel. Lesnar has always been presented as a monster in the ring and rarely loses. He has legit UFC cred, and also had some shoot heat with Taker at one point. He's young enough to stick around for a while, and if they don't fuck it up, can probably become a sort of evil Undertaker replacement as far as being the guy everyone wants to beat at Mania

Batista shows up, sure, but he gets gassed almost as bad as The Rock

Triple H has been doing a great job using his reputation against the audience in his heel work, but he's still an asshole that has to be a part of every big angle so fuck him; tho I'm glad to see him lose all the time to better wrestlers

Cesaro is amazing and I'm pretty bad they fucked with his momentum by giving him a match against Sheamus on MAIN EVENT, tho it ended dusty so at least he didn't lose

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:38 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

In super fun news, I was lucky enough to get some front row tickets for Chikara in Chicago when they return (before they sold out in 15 minutes). Ah, that is going to be a fun Saturday afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

[Reveal] Spoiler:

https://twitter.com/JimmyJacobsX/status ... 6023203840

:-)

edit: Roman Reigns has had a rough 2 days

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:57 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

That "Bo Lieve" guy or whatever is one of the funnier concepts I've seen in a while, a heel who thinks he's a face but is inadvertently incredibly unlikable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:03 am 
KSK Mastermind

oh geez i hate that guy, ha ha. theres something wrong with his face.

Seth Rollins flip was unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Things are moving in an all around positive direction for WWE.

They've cemented Cena as the greatest champion of all time (fully deserving. Really, they should let him pass Flair to show he is the GOAT)

Turns out, breaking up The Shield has proven that you don't have 1 or 2 main eventers....you have 3 main eventers. Hell, you can have a huge argument of who came out on top and all three have massive pros on every side. They all have "IT".

Sad news about BNB being out for a bit and Daniel Bryan being out for another 6 months. Although, Daniel coming back at the Royal Rumble as #30 (fixing last year's problem) would be a huge ovation.

Luke Harper vs. Chris Jericho is something I can't wait to see. Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt just as much.

Oh, and WWE has these 3 guys coming in the next few months.....

and of course the inventor of the GTS, the perfecter of the Knee+, and about 5 other WWE mainstay maneuvers....

That, again, adds to the fact that WWE has Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Solomon Crowe, and Kalisto in the NXT program.

Storyline bumps and things here and there aside....I really, really love Triple H as the man in charge of the company. The guy is bringing talent out in spades. It is completely going to destroy the indie scene soon. He'll be snatching up everyone worth anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Cena sucks and is boring both as a character and as a wrestler. His character is "always good and with just enough attitude kids will like him but not so much that anyone will find him threatening". His wrestling style is "lose for a while and then basically break kayfabe by suddenly not pretending to be hurt anymore and ignoring hits until you win." His purpose in the storyline is "guy who always wins, and isn't it a big surprise when he wins for the nine hundredth time in a row?!"

I don't get how anyone likes him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Cena is the worst and the only reason I'm not super mad about MitB is that they're totally feeding that fucker to Lesnar at Summerslam

Would've been a waste to give one of the newer guys the titles at this point

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I don't get how anyone likes him.

Whenever he is needed to he does what it takes to put on very high quality matches. He even got an amazing match out of The Great Khali.

The guy doesn't write the show or anything, but it is obvious on camera, and from words backstage, that he sticks up for the people who work there. He, also, tries to give everyone a shot. Usually, he is the vocal guy about up-and-comers and those the crowd is responding well to.

WWE's style is that of "5 moves of doom" and a very paced out thing. He is, very much, the ultimate version of this, but the guy pulls out the new stuff when he wants/needs to. Almost everyone in that locker room would admit that there isn't a problem with what he is doing. His style, and everything, has probably added a few years to his career just because it isn't as brutal as others (see: Bryan, Daniel). Granted, that can come off as formulaic.

He obviously has no ego about his situation and is willing to lose whenever asked to do it. The only problem is on WWE's end. They spent years using him as the top guy without building anyone else up at all (except Orton?). Thus, whenever he fought someone, there was no reason at all for him to lose. It has only been within the last year or two that others have come and they've elevated them to a level where Cena losing doesn't seem like the end of the world. For the writers, it does seem they get stuck in their "Cena wins" pattern just a bit much. I get how showing kids that Superman is normal more often than not can be a problem. It then ruins Superman, but on the other side...when Cena loses you do take a slightly bigger look at the man that defeated him.

It did add something to Daniel Bryan's title win to be the first guy to beat John Cena 100% clean since 2011.

Do I think the character is stale? Yeah. Is he the reason I watch WWE? No. Do I dislike him? No. There is this level of respect Cena has built over the years that makes it hard to hate a guy that didn't up and leave like Rock and who has been around constantly for as long as he has. The guy loves the job. He is really good at it.

And yeah....Lesnar is coming back. It is going to be interesting....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 am 
KSK Mastermind

is Lesner going to actually wrestle or just show up and do nothing until the PPV like he did for Wrestlemania... I have not even seen him since.

Cena to me feels like he REALLY REALLY wants to be The Rock, but has no idea how. I have never really liked Cena.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Bogey wrote:
very high quality matches

so were you just not paying attention during TLC/Royal Rumble or what

Also RAW was a bumbly mess of bizarre booking and boring matches but man was Bray Wyatt attacking Chris Jericho 100% perfect

Also fuck you for screwing Paige over Vince, you cocaine-addled old bastard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

TheBatman wrote:
Bogey wrote:
very high quality matches

so were you just not paying attention during TLC/Royal Rumble or what

Oh, he was fucked during those two events. It takes the crowd too. Just like a stand up comedian or a rock band. They get their energy from the crowd and give that much back. Cena tried. The guy tried hard both nights. He even gets them to worry about the match during the Rumble in a few spots. It is quite a feat with how much those people don't give a fuck at all. I don't think any single person could have a good match with a crowd that hostile to the idea of them even being in the ring. That wasn't "heat". Those people just didn't want to see anything in the realm of that reality at all. And to their credit, they made people listen. So far, it has been a damn good situation that they listened too. But I think it is pretty weird that everything started to move this way once Triple H became the man in charge.

His style and thoughts about Pro Wrestling seem to mesh well with the overall idea. Hopefully KENTA doesn't flop. I think he is the last chance for a giant name international wrestler for the WWE for quite a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:16 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

he can't even do the STF right

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Kevin Steen picked his final 3 ROH opponents. Tamaso Ciampa, Silas Young, and Steve Corino. While I got to see his final Chicago stop for ROH ever, I'd love to be in the crowd for Steen/Corino. A worthy send-off for a man that kept ROH interesting and engaging while it staggered elsewhere.

Also, props to the guy that had one of the most interesting stories in pro wrestling the last decade. He sits right next to Jimmy Jacobs as a super-special case of a story going right. On the plus side, in some far off dream world, we could get a very, very special WWE feud between two of their newest people...

Still one of my favorite hype videos for a match ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 pm 
KSK Mastermind

I've really been digging RAW lately and I kinda wanna watch Summer Slam.

Dean Ambrose has become my favorite current superstar. The thing with the briefcase sold that for me. I've always dug him because of his weird crazy antics, but man that was a hoot.

Jericho is fun to watch.

Super pumped about the Stephanie v Bria match too actually. I also actually care about the Jack Swagger Rusev thing too.

So while I am actually enjoying the current product a lot right now the one thing i really really miss from the old days is the Hardcore title with the 24 hours defense thing. That was so fun back in the day and i am a sucker for those aluminum foil trash cans.

the Paige and AJ stuff has been pretty fun to watch too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:23 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

In general I'm really impressed how far the diva matches have come. In terms of pure athleticism, they might be the best matches these days. Paige is a monster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:16 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

When it comes to the ladies there are a few things that help

1) Paige is a world traveler and a person from the indy scene that has done a lot (and Triple H seems to like grabbing the best of the best from there)

2) Sara Del Ray is the trainer down in NXT for the women. Older, but still a world traveled, and well respected indy performer. Her matches with Antonio Cesaro and the like were always something to see (also personal fun stuff: Cesaro's gf/fiance)

3) Triple H really does enjoy pro wrestling as an all around product. He is much more focused on giving the in-ring action a spotlight. Which, in turn, helps every single person.

Summerslam is looking good. It'll be a nice end to Gencon.

Also, guess who got 3rd row seats for ROH's Death Before Dishonor 12.....main event is a badass 8-man tag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Summerslam (skip now if you didn't watch or whatever):

Holy shit. Front-to-back that was a solid, solid show. Brie and Stephanie gave a damn good match, too. And then, after all that....there was the complete and utter dismantling of John Cena. The thing people have wanted to see for a long, long time. Holy shit. You could've told me twenty different ways that match would go, but I would call bullshit if you said "It'll be about 15 minutes long. Cena will hit an Attitude Adjustment and lock in the STFU...other than that he'll get the shit beaten out of him. He won't win. He'll just get beaten to hell and hit two moves. Oh, those two moves, will do no damage at all."

Who can beat Lesnar? He looked like a God.

Daniel Bryan (the man who beat Cena clean AND beat all of Evolution in a single night) is the only one I could think they could get to have the crowd behind at Wrestlemania 31