neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

So, since i'm probably not the only one (or maybe i am) who has odd PC problems i figured i'd make a thread where we can all try to help each other out with stuff that we cant figure on our own. Mostly the odd things that google cant help with.

For instance things like how my PC refuses to install any kind of language pack, even from an installation CD (which i STILL havent figured out) or my NEWEST problem.

I currently seem unable to create ANY kind of network for my PC. I run the network setup wizard, and do all the basic "build me a network" options but after it finishes, and i restart, nothing has changed. Even my virus scan says that my PC isnt a part of any network.

Strangely Windows Media Player recognizes my 360, and is set up for sharing the files to it, but the 360 cant see my PC.

I dont even seem to have a shared documents folder.

SO if anyone has any ideas how to fix these, OR has any problems of their own, hopefully we can just all POAST here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:41 am 
Dragon Slaying NESkimite

Get a Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 am 
Thwomp
Thwomp

Fallout wrote:

Fix'd for western Washington iconography

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:30 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

HAHA what?

ok, so no actually constructive ideas floating around. I'd rather not have to try a format and clean install.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:23 pm 
Bucket Of Flud

What language pack japanese? try LOCALE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

I have a question. A while back I tried to hook up my dad's old boombox to my computer, only to find that it didn't have an RCA port, so that was basically a no go. The best I could get was Mono sound by attaching it via the microphone port. I was told by several people that there's no way to hook up this boombox to a computer without an RCA port.

Anyway, my question twofold, I suppose. One, is this true, that doing something like that would be impossible?

Secondly, if that's the case, I can detach the speakers from the boombox entirely. Upon doing that, I have two very good speakers which have no port for the typical green digital speaker cable thing you use for computer speakers. They have those funny colored speaker wires with the little bits on the end that go into the ports on some sort of stereo system. Is there some sort of device or something that will let me hook those up to my computer?

(please note that I've most likely referred to everything I just mentioned by the wrong name and in a very misleading way)

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

I think you're confusing gypsies with AIDS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm 
I got bann3ded!!1

Did you try yelling at it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

illblamesum1else wrote:

I did

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:
Also...gypsies are cool! But don't piss them off...or they'll make you THINNER!!!! and then j00 diez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 am 
I got bann3ded!!1

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
illblamesum1else wrote:

I did

And that didn't fix it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
I have a question. A while back I tried to hook up my dad's old boombox to my computer, only to find that it didn't have an RCA port, so that was basically a no go. The best I could get was Mono sound by attaching it via the microphone port. I was told by several people that there's no way to hook up this boombox to a computer without an RCA port.

Anyway, my question twofold, I suppose. One, is this true, that doing something like that would be impossible?

Secondly, if that's the case, I can detach the speakers from the boombox entirely. Upon doing that, I have two very good speakers which have no port for the typical green digital speaker cable thing you use for computer speakers. They have those funny colored speaker wires with the little bits on the end that go into the ports on some sort of stereo system. Is there some sort of device or something that will let me hook those up to my computer?

(please note that I've most likely referred to everything I just mentioned by the wrong name and in a very misleading way)

OK, so the first thing, you wanna record audio from the boombox to your PC, or what? Tell me what you're trying to do.

(also, protip: when you want computer advice, don't talk about what you did, always talk about what you're trying to do, in terms of the bigger picture - maybe there's a totally different way of doing something you hadn't thought of).

For the second thing, you really shouldn't directly hook speaker cables into a stereo-out jack. Speakers are meant to be plugged into some kinda amp (for instance, an amp provided by the boombox). You'd need to hook your PC up to an amp, then hook the amp up to the speakers.

You *can* hook up speakers to plug directly into a stereo-out jack, but the volume will be very, very low. You need an amp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

ah, well, no, I'm not trying to record anything. All I'm trying to do is have these speakers be my computer speakers. The issue being that they have no way to directly connect to my computer.

So you're saying I need an amp, and then to connect the amp to my computer via an RCA adapter or whatever?

The whole bit of the boombox was just me basically saying that the speakers were initially part of that boombox, though they're detachable. When I first tried to get this setup going, I had the speakers connected to the boombox, and wanted to connect the boombox to the computer, only to find the boombox did not have an RCA port. This is not so much to let you know "what I did" as it is to let you know what all things I have at my disposal, so I can find out what the minimum of things I need to get would be.

I may have an amp lying around somewhere, I will look into that.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:39 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
ah, well, no, I'm not trying to record anything. All I'm trying to do is have these speakers be my computer speakers. The issue being that they have no way to directly connect to my computer.

So you're saying I need an amp, and then to connect the amp to my computer via an RCA adapter or whatever?

The whole bit of the boombox was just me basically saying that the speakers were initially part of that boombox, though they're detachable. When I first tried to get this setup going, I had the speakers connected to the boombox, and wanted to connect the boombox to the computer, only to find the boombox did not have an RCA port. This is not so much to let you know "what I did" as it is to let you know what all things I have at my disposal, so I can find out what the minimum of things I need to get would be.

Alright, I thought you were trying to record from boombox -> PC or something, which I thought was kinda retarded :-P

So you basically want bigger speakers on your PC. In this case, you'll want:
1) An amp
2) Speakers
3) Some way to connect the PC to the amp, probably with an 1/8inch to RCA "Y" Adapter cable. You could also get an 1/8inch to RCA adapter box thingie, then just use RCA cables, or you could use a 1/8inch -> 1/8inch cable + an RCA adapter box thingie, blah blah blah.

Who knows, maybe your amp has a 1/8inch input - does the Boombox have a 1/8inch input? It'd probably be labeled "AUX" or something. If you can set your Boombox to "AUX" then you probably have an input somewhere.

(1/8inch is the standard headphone-sized plug)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:50 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

Napalm Man wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

Alright, I thought you were trying to record from boombox -> PC or something, which I thought was kinda retarded :-P

1) An amp
2) Speakers
3) Some way to connect the PC to the amp, probably with an 1/8inch to RCA "Y" Adapter cable. You could also get an 1/8inch to RCA adapter box thingie, then just use RCA cables, or you could use a 1/8inch -> 1/8inch cable + an RCA adapter box thingie, blah blah blah.

Who knows, maybe your amp has a 1/8inch input - does the Boombox have a 1/8inch input? It'd probably be labeled "AUX" or something. If you can set your Boombox to "AUX" then you probably have an input somewhere.

hmmm, well, I seem to recall checking the boombox for any sort of output and not finding anything useful, but I will check again this weekend (it along with the speakers are back at home, while I am at school). If not I'll see if there's another amp around somewhere.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

connect the headphone plug to your sound card and the red/white plugs to your stereo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Morte_The_Skull wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Morte_The_Skull wrote:

1) An amp
2) Speakers

hmmm, well, I seem to recall checking the boombox for any sort of output and not finding anything useful, but I will check again this weekend (it along with the speakers are back at home, while I am at school). If not I'll see if there's another amp around somewhere.

Why are you looking for an output of the boombox? You want an input.

Outfrom from the PC goes to the input of the boombox/amp

And again, the fastest way to tell without looking all over for plugs is: can you set it to "aux" or "input" or something else that's *not* tape, radio, or CD? If you can't, then duh, there's no way to hook anything else up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

My DVD burner isn't working anymore. I installed a new motherboard and i've tried to plug in my DVD drive again and it shows and can play dvds but burning is another story. That DVD Burner is IDE and my motherboard is PS5QL from asus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

So i downloaded Network Magic, to see if THAT would do anything to help fix my problem. It actually SHOWS my whole network, 360 PSP and all. But i STILL cant create a network through windows, my anti virus STILL says there IS no network, and i still cant see my shared music and videos on my 360..... fucking weird.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:48 am 
In-House Sax Machine

Necrosaro wrote:
So i downloaded Network Magic, to see if THAT would do anything to help fix my problem. It actually SHOWS my whole network, 360 PSP and all. But i STILL cant create a network through windows, my anti virus STILL says there IS no network, and i still cant see my shared music and videos on my 360..... fucking weird.

What the hell is "creating a network through windows?"

If you see something like this:

You're on a network.

How are you trying to get to the 360 to view shared music and videos?

...what music and videos do you have on the 360 that aren't already on a PC?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

roo wrote:

connect the headphone plug to your sound card and the red/white plugs to your stereo

stereo does not have anywhere for those to go in

And Napalm, I totally didn't mean to say Output.

Anyway, as I said, I won't be able to take a look at any of this until Friday, so I'll see what I've got then. I seem to recall though that I do not have any sort of "aux" setting.

In which case the search for my brother's old amp will begin.

illblamesum1else wrote:
Etherean wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

Napalm Man wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

You're on a network.

I'm talking about using the whole "network setup wizard" thing. And i'm trying to share videos TO my 360 from my PC, so i can watch them on my TV in 5.1 instead of on my monitor with headphones.

Last time all i had to do was run the network setup wizard, install wmp 11, turn on the sharing through that, and drop stuff in the shared documents folder and they would show up on my 360. Now i cant get my 360 to even SEE my PC, and i couldnt see my friends PC from mine when he was over.

Also, like i said. On my other pc Mcafee would show a network map consisting of my PC,PSP, and 360 if they were all on, now it claims my PC is not part of any network.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:53 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

Necrosaro wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

You're on a network.

I'm talking about using the whole "network setup wizard" thing. And i'm trying to share videos TO my 360 from my PC, so i can watch them on my TV in 5.1 instead of on my monitor with headphones.

Last time all i had to do was run the network setup wizard, install wmp 11, turn on the sharing through that, and drop stuff in the shared documents folder and they would show up on my 360. Now i cant get my 360 to even SEE my PC, and i couldnt see my friends PC from mine when he was over.

Also, like i said. On my other pc Mcafee would show a network map consisting of my PC,PSP, and 360 if they were all on, now it claims my PC is not part of any network.

Well, here's what I think:

When you run that "create a network" dealie, at one point you set up a computer name and a workgroup name.

I'll bet you need that workgroup name to be either MSHOME or WORKGROUP, and also, you want the XBox 360 + PSP to have the same name.

Another problem is, you're using TinyXP, which *is* lacking some features/services. It could be some kinda service is disabled or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm 
VAN DAMMAGE

Necrosaro wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

You're on a network.

Aren't you supposed to use Windows Media Center or whatever it's called

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 pm 
In-House Sax Machine

TheBatman wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:
Napalm Man wrote:
Necrosaro wrote:

You're on a network.

Aren't you supposed to use Windows Media Center or whatever it's called

I think you are supposed to use Media Center and use the XBox360 as a Media Extender, but I think you can also just use WMP11 or Zune, create a library, and share that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 pm 
Angry Sun
Angry Sun

You can only use windows media center if you are running a windows media center PC. IDK if it's a specific version of XP/vista that has it or what, i only know that if i try to instal the media center programs it gives me an error message.

Besides i didnt need it last time. last time it really WAS just as simple as run network setup wizard, open up WMP 11 and share everything to my 360. And i was running the same install of Tiny XP then also, so IDK what the hell is different this time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next