neskimos.com

celebrating controller thumb for 00001100 years.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:29 pm 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

How goes it, guys?

A lot has happened in the last year, I've lost my job, was unemployed for 7 months, hit rock bottom, found an awesome new job and moved into a bigger, nicer home.

With a new place comes new projects. But with all of my projects, the initial idea is quite small, then all things get out of control. So I decided I should have a mancave for my PC/electronics and paintball stuff. Easy enough, right? But then a friend of mine was cleaning out his basement and *gave* me a non-working, vintage 1982 Atari Xevious arcade cabinet. I managed to fix it and eventually wanted to play classic arcade games from my teenagehood - Contra, Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Smash TV. So I then wanted to build an arcade cabinet and install a MAME PC in it. So that's in the works right now.

But what about those old classic consoles I had as a kid? Gotta buy back all of those of course. So I began buying old, non-working consoles, looked at Youtube how-to vids and experimented. To date, I fixed a NES, an original Game Boy, two Game Boy Colors, an N64 and and my old first gen XBox that stopped working years ago.

Pics of the mancave:

Closeup of Xevious cabinet:

Retro console collection so far (the current-gens are upstairs in the living room)

Would love to get my hands on a Neo Geo, a Sega CD, a Turbografx 16 and a Panasonic 3DO!

Lastly, my MAME arcade project. I am still working on the software aspect, but as of now I've got a donor PC, an arcade control panel, a coin-op door/mechanism and sideart vinyl decals. All I need to do now is buy some lumber and brutally cut it until it vaguely looks like an arcade cabinet.

All in all, fun little projects. What's everyone been up to lately gaming-wise?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

Looks pretty badass ! Gaming wise? I've been finishing games on Steam but been concentrating on my Cosplay more than I should. I've made one kickass Captain Cold and i'm planning to set the bar up for the next one. I'm already looking up ideas and willing to try some things to get my project to life. There is also Magfest which we'll end up making a tradition. Going rockin' to some video games music, playing 24h free to play massive arcades, playing board games and hitting on nerdy girls. Life is pretty awesome so far. I've been thinking about making a Mame cabinet but I need pretty much everything from the screen to the wood planks and plans. Perhaps even the decals. If you could give me some tips on how to make one, i'd gladly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 am 
Hammer Brother
Hammer Brother

Sure, I'll start a new thread with my MAME arcade build log, that way you'll see the various steps. Will try to include links to tutorials and hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 am 
The so-called robot with admin powers

Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:54 pm 
Angry Star
Angry Star

:\m/:

good to see you still among the living.

a cave is always a must.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:59 am 
Angry Star
Angry Star

That decal set is great............I'd want to completely use that myself. I am not shameful at all in the want to steal it.